User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Is it just me, or does the color of this one seem odd? Not nearly as light in the center as I would expect with a 1998 VSB.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wengr View Post
    Is it just me, or does the color of this one seem odd? Not nearly as light in the center as I would expect with a 1998 VSB.

Yeah, this was posted before. It appears to have a cockeyed tailpiece too.

I like the shade, reminds me of the Lee Ritenour L5 shade.

User Info Menu

Could you please tell us what the initials CES stand for? I assume the "C" is cutaway?

Thanks

Doug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt View Post

Yes it does, but I can't tell how much is the tailpiece and how much is the angled bridge.
    I wonder if the tailpiece can be corrected somewhat by just bending it some. I once had a Wes with the same malady but never tried.
    Concerning the finish, is there reason to question the orginality?
    Last edited by wengr; 08-18-2019 at 09:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    Could you please tell us what the initials CES stand for? I assume the "C" is cutaway?

Thanks

Doug

cutaway electric Spanish

it's almost impossible to bend those t.p.'s

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt View Post

I think the tailpiece is okay, it was just the angle of the pic which was off by 1 degree. To me it looks okay now.
    And yes, my LeeRitenour has a very similar sunburst, a little lighter maybe, but colors usually are misleading on computer screens. Judging by the color of the PG i believe that some red is missing in the pic.

Dave's Guitars: 1998 Gibson L5 Wes Montgomery ASB. Excellent Condition. Asking 95.-908011c-jpg
    Last edited by JazzNote; 08-20-2019 at 03:35 AM.
    _________
    JazzNote

User Info Menu

The tailpiece does appear to be askew. Masaki-san of Walkin Japan makes a transparent acrylic tapered shim that mounts under the tailpiece bracket to correct the skew.

The skewed tailpiece does not affect playability but I guess it looks a little odd.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wengr View Post
    Concerning the finish, is there reason to question the orginality?
    Not as far as I'm concerned. Gibson was very consistent with their colors, but varied nonetheless. I think that gave each guitar its own personalty