Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Does anyone own or want to part with a D'Angelico NYSS3B?
    I am trying to find one to see if it's too heavy for me before I get it.
    I'm in San Diego and would be happy to drive a few hours ( LA ) to
    see one. I would only need 20-30 minutes and would really appreciate
    any help. Thanks!
    Regards
    Charlie Whitten

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Could you just find out what one weighs, and then try a similar weight guitar?
    -- Isn't it crazy that "archtop" and "luthier" are spelling errors on this forum?

Thanks, the NYSS 3B is 9.2 lbs and my freinds Les Paul is 9.9lbs.
    I just want to get a quick feel for it because the one I'm thinking of
    does not accept returns. 9.9 lbs is too much for my 65 year old back.

User Info Menu

I don't expect that half a pound would be much of a difference, but I'm not the one buying the guitar.

My back was broken 2 years ago so maybe I'm a little touchy.
    My main guitar is a solid body John Wallace at 6.8 lbs. I played
    a 6 lb PRS McCarty soapbar which felt like a feather in comparison.
    Thanks

User Info Menu

For the price why not just get a 335? Lighter and better sounding to my ears.

My 1970 335 really doesn't do it for me and really the only reason I keep it is because
    it was my first guitar bought from an old friend. The 2 guitars actually have a different sound
    to my ears but of course,that's only listening to Rosenwinkel. We heard him live and on recordings.
    Also, on Truefire I've heard Fareed Haque with little to no pedals.

User Info Menu

The difference in weight for the D'A/LP is under 8%. For the PRS/JW is almost 12%, or about 50% more difference. The heavier the guitars, the less the same weight difference makes. The guitar I usually play is just under 5 lb, so half a pound would certainly be noticeable. The D'A might be light enough for you, but only you can decide. I would bet against it, though.

OK I see what you mean. Actually, I'm with you on it probably being too heavy.
    That's why I would love to check one out without having to fly somewhere which
    of course would increase the cost by maybe 30 %. I just this forum would have
    a couple dozen players of this guitar.

User Info Menu

I don't recall ever seeing anyone here who said they played one. I haven't really paid a lot of attention, though. Perhaps a forum search for that model would turn something up.

Looks like I'm the only one that comes up, oh well

User Info Menu

If you care about weight the NYSS-3B is not for you -- I've owned a few of them and they are all heavy. Very nice, but heavy. The stop tail version is somewhat lighter. But if weight is an issue it's just not the right choice--there are so many other nice semis out there, like the Sadowsky, which are much lighter.

If you can find an early Korean EX-SS with the ebony board (new ones have rosewood), those are lighter (no center block) but otherwise pretty similar. The earlier ones overseen by Comins were very nice, completely different from the ones flooding the market now.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.
    I've received other emails from forum members regarding the
    weight and it's impossible to ignore this so it's not going to happen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by accokeek88 View Post
    Thanks, the NYSS 3B is 9.2 lbs and my freinds Les Paul is 9.9lbs.
    I just want to get a quick feel for it because the one I'm thinking of
    does not accept returns. 9.9 lbs is too much for my 65 year old back.
    ???

I wonder how the NY-SS can be over 9 pounds when my EX-SS is (weighed on a postal scale) 6 lb. 12 oz? The main difference between them in the NY has a spruce top while the EX has a maple top.

Oh so it's clear, are you quoting pounds and OUNCES or pounds and tenths? I "think" you really mean pounds/ounces.
    Regards,

Gary

Talked with the seller..he weighed it again and again called it 9.2 lbs
    No mention of ounces etc so I guess your guitar is also a Vestax?
    I'm just not that familiar with these guitars to elaborate on them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI View Post
    ???

I wonder how the NY-SS can be over 9 pounds when my EX-SS is (weighed on a postal scale) 6 lb. 12 oz? The main difference between them in the NY has a spruce top while the EX has a maple top.

Oh so it's clear, are you quoting pounds and OUNCES or pounds and tenths? I "think" you really mean pounds/ounces.
    As I mentioned above, the NYSS has a full length center block while the EX-SS is fully hollow (except for a small block under the bridge). The tailpiece on the NYSS is likely made of a heavier alloy than on the EX-SS--they are manufactured in different countries by different companies. I've owned both simultaneously and the approx. 2.5 pound differential sounds about right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steinny View Post
    As I mentioned above, the NYSS has a full length center block while the EX-SS is fully hollow (except for a small block under the bridge). The tailpiece on the NYSS is likely made of a heavier alloy than on the EX-SS--they are manufactured in different countries by different companies. I've owned both simultaneously and the approx. 2.5 pound differential sounds about right.
    Understood, I was unaware that it was constructed so differently there's so little info on them in the U.S.
    Regards,

Gary

User Info Menu

Hi. I have a D'Angelico NYSS3B, and it is certainly a heavy guitar. I have problems with my back too and I always play sitting. The sound and playability is awesome, except for the weight, the neck is extremely comfortable. Unfortunately I live in Spain, something more than “a few hours” trip to try it .
    You can watch some videos on my channel.

Cesar Alarcon
    - YouTube

As you can see I have other guitars but the D'Angelico is my favorite despite its weight.

I hope I helped you. I apologize for my English, it is not my first language.
    Last edited by cesarguit; 08-02-2019 at 03:58 PM.

Thank you, Cesar! I'm glad to hear there's no doubt about the tone of this guitar.
    Well, I have talked myself into taking it despite the weight. Your youtube videos are
    great ; wonderful playing! Are you using flatwounds or if not what string gauge are
    on the D'Angelico? Thanks, again.

User Info Menu

The strings are the Thomastik jazz swing, flatwounds 0.12-0.50. Very confortables on the guitar.

Thanks for your comments on my videos