Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Hi all, I'm from Minneapolis and I'm having a hard time finding interest in this Guitar. Not a Jazz town I guess. And CL has too many non-serious buyers. So, I thought I'd try here. As much as I'd hate to give it up, I'd appreciate any advice as to try and sell this if nobody's interested here. Thanks.

I have my brothers Herb Ellis for sale. He passed away in 1997 and I've cared for it since then. I don't play guitar. It's in excellent condition, other than some slight scuffs. Gold plating still looks great and it's body and neck are structurally sound. From what I can tell by the serial number, this guitar was built in shipped in February of 1991 and number 33 in the production run. The Herb Ellis production began in 1991 and since Gibson made about 50 a day, this may have been the very first day they began building this model on Feb 6, 1991. It comes with its original case. I'm asking $1900. I've had it examined by guitarists and they agreed it plays excellent.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1991 Gibson Herb Ellis-13a1123d-eb0f-4897-a72c-15b82235f989-jpg 1991 Gibson Herb Ellis-7765b65c-3a0c-424f-91c8-9e07d1a1f407-jpg 1991 Gibson Herb Ellis-89331545-7864-46bb-b48e-9b9e78892cd4-jpeg 1991 Gibson Herb Ellis-d7daeeff-7337-44bd-aae7-eaea11de76d7-jpeg 1991 Gibson Herb Ellis-cd121059-ee54-418f-b0b2-518f7297b785-jpeg 1991 Gibson Herb Ellis-a305cedb-4eb2-4efa-8b7f-bbbda5127fa0-jpeg 1991 Gibson Herb Ellis-cace3b68-a8c3-4eeb-a27f-c2d5d2c0be94-jpg 1991 Gibson Herb Ellis-a91cbdcb-7bf4-4022-b8d5-3a065a2335f6-jpeg 
    Last edited by Winfield; 07-21-2019 at 08:08 AM. Reason: wrong date in title

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice guitar! You've come to the right place.

If you get no bites here, look up LaVonne Music of Savage, MN. Minnesota Vintage Guitar Store

If you are going to ship it yourself, please read this first : archtop.com: shipping your guitar .

Good luck with the sale.
    Great Deals with Great Folks: max52 (Guild-Benedetto Artist Award); prickards (Ribbecke GC Halfling); Cincy2 (Comins Concert)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Nice guitar! You've come to the right place.

If you get no bites here, look up LaVonne Music of Savage, MN. Minnesota Vintage Guitar Store

If you are going to ship it yourself, please read this first : archtop.com: shipping your guitar .

Good luck with the sale.

Thank you. Great advice already! I really appreciate it.

User Info Menu

Lovely guitar. I wish...
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

I have pretty much the identical guitar. It's a honey.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Winfield, I have seen your ad quite a few times on Minneapolis Craigslist (I am in St. Paul) and ponder it every single time. It's a beautiful guitar. I have been thinking about messaging you to suggest that you try posting it here for sale as this is an audience that would really appreciate that instrument. It appears to be in very fine to near mint condition, from the photos, and your price is very good. Those are basically a single pickup ES-175 with upgraded hardware; very fine playing and very fine sounding instruments.

In addition to the suggestion of Lavonne's Music down in Savage, Willy's Guitars in Saint Paul might be a good option as well. Vig's Guitar in Saint Paul also sometimes handles high-end arch tops.

I am remodeling my kitchen- which is costing me nearly as much as buying the house 25 years ago- and I don't have money or room for another guitar or I would've jumped on it a while back. Best wishes to you and good luck with the sale.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    Winfield, I have seen your ad quite a few times on Minneapolis Craigslist (I am in St. Paul) and ponder it every single time. It's a beautiful guitar. I have been thinking about messaging you to suggest that you try posting it here for sale as this is an audience that would really appreciate that instrument. It appears to be in very fine to near mint condition, from the photos, and your price is very good. Those are basically a single pickup ES-175 with upgraded hardware; very fine playing and very fine sounding instruments.

In addition to the suggestion of Lavonne's Music down in Savage, Willy's Guitars in Saint Paul might be a good option as well. Vig's Guitar in Saint Paul also sometimes handles high-end arch tops.

I am remodeling my kitchen- which is costing me nearly as much as buying the house 25 years ago- and I don't have money or room for another guitar or I would've jumped on it a while back. Best wishes to you and good luck with the sale.
    Small world Cunamara, Thank you for the tips. It's a tough one to part with, I've cared for it all these years and I'm afraid I'll open the case one day and find the necks warped or something and that would break my heart. It's co owned with my sister, obviously because it was our brothers. He had a beat up SG that we sold right away because it needed work. This one we thought we'd keep, however I don't need the worry. Its not in pristine condition, its got some scuff marks on the back. When an interested party comes along I'll try and zoom in more closely to highlight those marks. I noticed the lacquer has begun to crack on the head, it's more of a patina. Thanks again and I think I'll have the shops you guys mention take a look at it.

User Info Menu

Hi
    If it's still available I'm very interested.
    Thanks, Alan
    971-275-7422

User Info Menu

I’m a fan of early 90’s Gibson’s. My 93 LP Studio is excellent. Other Gibson’s from that period I’ve come across also have impressed . The OP’s is beautiful. Cool tailpiece. And Cunamara, who needs a kitchen anyway????? Priorities man.

User Info Menu

I took a couple of pictures showing the blemishes for anyone that’s interested, they are minor in my opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1991 Gibson Herb Ellis-776bfec2-2348-4921-8dfd-dae172bd8f87-jpg 1991 Gibson Herb Ellis-6b41a56d-7b30-44a3-8898-64d769eb04ea-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alhightman View Post
    Hi
    If it's still available I'm very interested.
    Thanks, Alan
    971-275-7422
    Alan Hightman that used to live in S.F. ? if so it's me Vince.....we did a lot of horse trading back in the day. Polytone, Tal Farlow, 175, etc..

Nice 165 ! Very honest photos. GLWTS.

User Info Menu

I took the Herb Ellis to one of the Guitar shops mentioned in the comments above (thanks to the members for providing it). I just asked him to do the once-over, 5 minute inspection. He said there's nothing wrong with it at all. Polish the metal frets, oil the rosewood fret board and re-string it, that's it. However, I was so focused on the body and neck, because I know how important that is, I never had him plug it in. I don't suspect any problems there, but Guitar Center is right up the road and tomorrow I'll take it there, plug it in and see if it works. On my way out of the shop, I asked him how much is it worth? He gave me a figure significantly higher than what I posted above. I talked to my sister and we agreed we will stick to the $1900 and the buyer will also need to pay for shipping. With this latest information, I feel confident the buyer will still have gotten an excellent deal at $1900 and the cost of shipping.

User Info Menu

Well, I shipped it off today. It went to one of your forum members, I'm sure it will be in good hands...he seems like a good guy. I hope it arrives in good order and I hope the new owner likes and enjoys it.

I hijacked the name Winfield from my brother, it was his middle name.....here's the real Winfield and his instruments in the early eighties.... so long guitar.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1991 Gibson Herb Ellis-greggs-guitars-jpg 1991 Gibson Herb Ellis-gregg-jpg 

User Info Menu

Congratulations on the sale, Winfield, and thank you for sharing that bit of your brother and family with us. Fine guitars aren't owned by us so much as we are their caretakers for a while, and then the legacy goes on. Best wishes to you!
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke