User Info Menu

Sale Pending

Ibanez AKJV95-DAL
    with over $500 in upgrades -- $750 shipped (continental USA only)

I really like the look and playability of the Ibanez Artcore Expressionist hollowbody guitars. The AKJV95-DAL (Distressed Amber Low-gloss) is a beautiful, vintage looking archtop. Like a Gibson ES-175, the body is constructed of laminated woods. But unlike an ES-175, the AKJV95 has a spruce top and flamed maple sides and back in the style of a Gibson L-4CES. And, like an L-4CES, the neck pickup on this model is positioned at the end of the fretboard creating a slightly mellower timbre than the 175. It's really a great platform.

Also of interest, apart from a few cosmetic differences the AKJV95 is the exact same guitar as the Ibanez LGB30 George Benson artist model. The baby Benson has more highly polished frets and ivoroid binding, but apart from a few cosmetics difference, the AKJV95 is exactly the same guitar with the same pickups and wiring. Unfortunately, Ibanez ruins the AKJV by outfitting it with cheesy faux vintage/distressed hardware. Honestly, the hardware looks horrible and cheap. Despite what the specs say, the pots, wiring, switch, jack and pickups are all of very low quality.

So, me being me, I decided to replace all the cheesy hardware with higher quality gold parts and upgrade all the electronics. It was a fun project and it turned out great. It really looks great and sounds fantastic.

I have an LGB30 and since the AKJV95 iOS so similar, I'd prefer to get this AKJV95 into the hands of someone who can enjoy it. All hardware has been upgraded with high-quality gold parts including:
    Gold Gotoh Keystone tuners (the look like L-5 tuners)
    Gold Seymour Duncan Seth Lover neck pickup and bridge pickup
    CTS 500K pots
    Sprague Orange Drop capacitors
    Gold Switchcraft 3-way pickup selector switch
    Gold Switchcraft jack
    Vintage style, braided wiring
    Vintage style Gibson knobs
    Gold Herb Ellis ES-165 tailpiece
    Custom-fitted Rosewood bridge
    Custom cut L-5 pickguard
    Gibson-style pickguard bracket
    Ibanez hardshell case

The guitar is in excellent condition. If not for two items (described next), I would call it mint or near-mint.

First, there are two small indentations about 3/8" apart on the treble side of the neck, near the binding near the 7th fret. This imperfection is not perceptible when playing and hard to see unless you are looking for it--one of the photos shows this. This blemish was on the guitar when I received it from the dealer and is very minor but I want any eventual buyer to have full information.

Second, I broke the pickguard when I was routing out the pickup cutouts. I was able to glue it back together and it is a solid repair, but there is a visible crack you can see across the guard at the neck pickup height adjustment screw cutout. Regardless, the pick guard is a high quality L-5 guard and is still beautiful.

All original Ibanez hardware, pickups, wiring, switch, jack, tailpiece, tuners, etc. will be included with the sale. So, you'll be able to return it to stock or sell the pickups or do whatever you want.

Bottom line, this is an incredible sounding and easy playing instrument that looks like a classic archtop. Here's a recording I made after the upgrades were completed. Pardon my playing, but the guitar sounds so much like my L-5, it will be worth your while to check it out.

Thanks for reading and please let me know if you'd like this sweet little Ibanez. $750 shipped within the continental USA.

Upgraded Ibanez AKJV95-DAL Artcore Expressionist Hollowbody Guitar-img_1292-jpg
    Upgraded Ibanez AKJV95-DAL Artcore Expressionist Hollowbody Guitar-img_1291-jpg
    Upgraded Ibanez AKJV95-DAL Artcore Expressionist Hollowbody Guitar-img_1290-jpg
    Upgraded Ibanez AKJV95-DAL Artcore Expressionist Hollowbody Guitar-img_1289-jpg
    Upgraded Ibanez AKJV95-DAL Artcore Expressionist Hollowbody Guitar-img_1288-jpg
    Upgraded Ibanez AKJV95-DAL Artcore Expressionist Hollowbody Guitar-img_1287-jpg
    Upgraded Ibanez AKJV95-DAL Artcore Expressionist Hollowbody Guitar-img_1285-jpg
    Upgraded Ibanez AKJV95-DAL Artcore Expressionist Hollowbody Guitar-img_1297-jpg
    Upgraded Ibanez AKJV95-DAL Artcore Expressionist Hollowbody Guitar-img_1295-jpg
    Upgraded Ibanez AKJV95-DAL Artcore Expressionist Hollowbody Guitar-img_1296-jpg
    Upgraded Ibanez AKJV95-DAL Artcore Expressionist Hollowbody Guitar-img_1294-jpg
    Upgraded Ibanez AKJV95-DAL Artcore Expressionist Hollowbody Guitar-img_1293-jpg
    Upgraded Ibanez AKJV95-DAL Artcore Expressionist Hollowbody Guitar-img_1298-jpg
    Upgraded Ibanez AKJV95-DAL Artcore Expressionist Hollowbody Guitar-img_1305-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Upgraded Ibanez AKJV95-DAL Artcore Expressionist Hollowbody Guitar-img_1286-jpg Upgraded Ibanez AKJV95-DAL Artcore Expressionist Hollowbody Guitar-img_1286-jpg Upgraded Ibanez AKJV95-DAL Artcore Expressionist Hollowbody Guitar-img_1285-jpg 
    Last edited by rolijen; 06-30-2019 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Sale Pending

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary