Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

This is something I really thought I wouldn’t ever have to do and it deeply saddens me to have to do it but I am selling my L5. I am in danger of not having anywhere to live, and although I could probably deal with that I cannot do that do my daughter as I’m a single parent so the priorities are obvious. I do reserve the right to take down the ad, as I am also listing my bass and bow for sale (I was primarily a bassist, and although if I sell my double bass I will not be able to do bass work anymore for the time being, I would prefer anything to having to sell this guitar). So if I can get the money via selling the bass I will take this guitar off being for sale. I will post technical info first and relevant info afterwards since I always like to know where a guitar is coming from, what’s it’s been through and so on. I’m asking $4600 shipped, reasoning for the price below but it is about $1600 less than I paid for it when I bought it a little over 3 years ago. Time is of the essence, which is one reason to go low but I will detail the other reasons to try to structure this post a bit

The pickups are either early T tops or Patent Number pickups. I would guess the former but they have patent number stickers that I saw when reversing the neck pickup. Speaking of which, that is easily reversible back to standard as I simply rotated the entire pickup ring with the pickup in it since it fit perfectly even when backwards. I like it this way as I’m a huge Wes fan but thought I’d mention it since most probably want it the normal way. Anyway, I never removed the covers to check for the “T” which is why I can’t confirm if they are leftover patent numbers from before Gibson changed hands or early T tops as would be expected in this year. They sound phenomenal whichever they are.

In one of the photos please note a red circle. This is to show where there is a hairline crack in the top and is one of the reasons I’m pricing this lower. The guitar came with this, the previous owner didn’t know when it happened but it had been there for long enough that he didn’t know when (he was the original owner). Initially I was planning on getting it fixed but it showed no signs of instability, spreading or anything and had no impact on the sound. Also please note the input jack and surrounding hairline cracks. Same story here, have no idea how long they’ve been there but there has been no spreading and it feels structurally sound. There is also some finish checking at the top of the back of the neck, below the headstock.

As for parts, let me specify what is not original, and that way we can know the rest is original. There are custom inlays that you can see around the control knobs. The previous owner said that he did this to customize the guitar, as he knew other people back then who had the same one. You will see four dots around the volume and tone knobs as well as a larger inlay towards the edge of the lower bout. I changed the volume knob to a newer one, as I was fixing a student’s Les Paul and he wanted replacement knobs (and he left me with the old ones). I did this as I can control the volume more smoothly, as the center is wider. Somewhere around I have that original black one and can include that. The bridge isn’t original and is from an es-175. The guitar came with a wooden bridge and although it was nice, and sounded good, I found that the sound I was looking for (as well as intonation) was a tunomatic. I gave this old bridge to someone, as I was never planning on selling this guitar and never planned on using it again, so I don’t have it anymore. FYI that original bridge didn’t have the inlays, I don’t know if in ‘70 if they were not doing inlays yet or what. I think k since there are no fret nibs that it has been refretted in the past. They didn’t crown the frets all the way so there is some flat area on some frets but I find that this gives a familiar sound on some notes that I can’t really explain, but it’s something I hear listening to Wes. The tuners, tailpiece, nut and everything else seem to be original and that matches what the previous owner said.

Now, as for the condition. I guess this is where I’ll get into the story of how I got the guitar, since it has to do with the previous owner. I had just gotten separated from my wife. Life was looking really down - we sold our house and with some of the money I thought I’d look for a guitar, a lifetime guitar, that I could look at and think that something positive came out of that situation. The same day as the house closing I found that a store 2 hours or so from me had an L5, photos looked good so I figured why not, I’ll check it out. When I played it I fell in love and the story of the guitar had something to do with it as well. This was quite a small store, and the previous owner had brought it there to be sold. He was in his 80s, a lifetime guitarist, but had reached a point that he couldn’t play anymore. The guitar had clearly been played and this wasn’t a guitar found under a bed or kept in the case - the condition showed that as there are superficial scratches on the top as well as some buckle rash on the back (which is very hard to photograph since it doesn’t go through the finish, need to get the right light on it to see it so I tried my best there). The neck had some very slight impressions, one a little bigger than the rest that I tried to show in a photo although I can’t feel them while playing. The neck finish hasn’t been played through but it certainly feels broken in, for lack of a better term. Anyway, like I said I fell in love with it and probably paid a little more than it might have been worth considering the condition but didn’t mind as I felt that was the guitar for me.

It plays so phenomenally well - right now it’s set up for .013s with a .014 and .018 on the E and B. I had tried this before on other guitars and it was always extremely hard to play. Here though the action can go so low that it is easier for me to play than .012s while still enabling a wide range of dynamics due to the string tension. The guitar will take lighter or course, as I had .012s on it for quite some time.

I think that’s about it. The truss rod works fine, I don’t think I missed anything. Other than this guitar all I have left is an inexpensive solid body as an electric guitar, otherwise I would never be selling it. I’ve sold all of my other guitars since, without going into details as I’m sure that’s not interesting, my living situation has been dire but having a few month’s rent should get me back on track and will have my landlord willing to write me a lease. If you’d like any other photos or info please let me know. Oh and the original case does come included. I bought a gig bag and haven’t used it beyond the first few months. It isn’t falling apart but it isn’t in great condition. When mailing it I will be sure to pad the inside of the case as there isn’t nearly as much protection as newer Gibson cases.

Oh and if you can come to central NJ I can drop a couple hundred bucks off of it for local pickup. I was hoping to come close to 4400 after PayPal fees and shipping costs. Thanks for reading - here are the photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Attached Images Attached Images 1970 Gibson L5, 00-img_4047-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

More photos

Last edited by rio; 06-07-2019 at 12:10 AM.

User Info Menu

First, let me say how sorry I am to hear about your current situation.

Just remember that storms never last - things will get better for you.

Your sunburst Gibson L-5 is a beautiful guitar and I think it will sell quickly here on the forum!

Regards,
    Steven Herron

User Info Menu

Paul,

Sorry to hear of your troubles and I do wish you good luck on your sale. I hope you got your money back on that Ibanez 7 string that you bought from me. Might I suggest that the crack in the top be checked on the inside with a lighted mirror? My experience with Gibsons from the Norlin era is that sometimes cracks in the finish occur that look like cracks in the wood, but are not in fact wood cracks. You may get more eager buyers if they do not fear wood cracks. In any event, this is a good price on an "as good as they get" guitar. Your parting of the ways is proof positive that in the end we are only caretakers of these fine instruments and a spate of bad luck can end our caretaker responsibilities and privileges at any time. Here is hoping things do improve for you!

Cheers,

Marc

User Info Menu

Thanks guys - Marc, I had to let it go for less than I spent on it, which was the trend for most of the sales. However the guy was nice and very enthusiastic so I felt ok about it since it was going to a good home.of all of them the 2630 had climbed in price since I bought it so that one was a surprise and sold in less than a day (still my favorite semi so I can understand why).

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the mirror. I will see what I can find to get in there as you might be right about it.

User Info Menu

Don't feel too bad about it. My first guitar teacher had to sell his D'A New Yorker for $900 after the first of his many divorces.

User Info Menu

Yeah it's only a "thing" and can be replaced but that's not a fun situation, hang in there man. A good friend and lifelong musician went through some hard times a few yrs ago and had to sell most of his collection, he got down to 2 guitars and 1 amp and was forced to get a day gig as a house painter. He's doing better now but it was touch and go there for awhile.
    It's a beautiful guitar and you priced it really right, should sell pretty quickly. As for the "issues" the crack under the bridge is very small, when you bought it and were wondering who to take it to for repair I thought it was bigger, that little line wouldn't stop me from buying it. And the jack cracks are also minor and the checks behind the nut are nothing imo.
    The tailpiece doesn't have the usual hole and accompanying "top crusher" varitone adjustment which usually indicates a mid 70s date of manufacture or later but the finish /sunburst pattern looks pre '75 to me. Maybe it's a transitional piece.
    This is a player's guitar and will make someone very happy . Hopefully things turn around and you find a way to hold onto it, but if not I truly wish you GLWTS.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear of your life's current circumstances, Paul. Fingers crossed that they will soon get better and for anothe L5 in your future.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

User Info Menu

I sold my New Yorker for my daughter. You are a stand up good father. You will be blessed big time down the road.
    Trust me on that. Family comes first or you are not a man. I sold my New Yorker and now have a Campellone that is IMO a better sounding guitar. Same will happen to you.

User Info Menu

Pmd

User Info Menu

Rio, you have always been a good friend to everyone on the forum. I’m sorry for what you are going through. I hope everything works out for you. Vinny is right. Family always comes 1st. I wish you the best. Your daughter will always be proud of her daddy.
    Stay Strong.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    Rio, you have always been a good friend to everyone on the forum. I’m sorry for what you are going through. I hope everything works out for you. Vinny is right. Family always comes 1st. I wish you the best. Your daughter will always be proud of her daddy.
    Stay Strong.
    Joe D
    You both did the right thing for your family. Sacrifice is always followed with reward. 1st the valley then the hilltop.

User Info Menu

Some things are more important than guitars.
    All the best looking after your daughter and yourself. I've experienced a similarly scary situation after spinal surgery left my family financially stretched to the limit.
    You've clearly got your priorities in order so I've no doubt things will shift your way.
    Best of luck with everything.
    Jared

User Info Menu

Rio,

Sell it in person. Hell, go to Guitars n Jazz and tell Lou your situation. Don't under sell! Ugh... really sorry for your situation. I wish only the best for you and your daughter. She'll remember that you chose her over the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87 View Post
    Rio,

Sell it in person. Hell, go to Guitars n Jazz and tell Lou your situation. Don't under sell! Ugh... really sorry for your situation. I wish only the best for you and your daughter. She'll remember that you chose her over the guitar.
    If selling quickly wasn’t part of the equation I would much rather not lose money on it, or rather lose less money since I know I probably couldn’t get back what I spent on it. I figured I would get even less than what I’m asking here if I sold it to a store but you’re right, I should at least check with Lou. I have sold one guitar to him, back when I was first getting back into guitar about 15 years ago but that was a trade so I don’t know how much more he’d offer than some place like a Guitar Center. But thanks for the idea, depending on what his hours are these days I will look into that.

Edit: for got to add, thanks for all the kind words and well wishes guys.

User Info Menu

You're gonna be fine Rio, you've been nothing but a truly stand up guy all the years I've know you. Karma always comes back to help when you least expect it. Angels are at your door

Big

User Info Menu

Looks like the guitar is sold - thanks for all of the moral support again everyone, I really appreciate it as it does help put things in perspective.

User Info Menu

I know who bought it. GOD BLESS YOU for that Sir.

User Info Menu

Truly sorry for your troubles. You've earned the respect of a lot of the good people on this site--keep the faith.
    This too shall pass.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    I know who bought it. GOD BLESS YOU for that Sir.
    Indeed - it couldn’t be going to a better place or a better person.

User Info Menu

I don't mean to offend anyone here, but honestly--Rio, you could make any guitar sound good. Sure that Gibson is beautiful, but you're a beautiful player--that's more important in my book. Keep fighting the good fight. There's some great colleges by you, too bad there's all this crap with credentials to teach--but, who knows?

How old is your daughter? Mine is almost 6 months. Being a father is hard enough. Being a single parent, that's the hardest job in the book. You're a tough dude, RIO!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87 View Post
    I don't mean to offend anyone here, but honestly--Rio, you could make any guitar sound good. Sure that Gibson is beautiful, but you're a beautiful player--that's more important in my book. Keep fighting the good fight. There's some great colleges by you, too bad there's all this crap with credentials to teach--but, who knows?

How old is your daughter? Mine is almost 6 months. Being a father is hard enough. Being a single parent, that's the hardest job in the book. You're a tough dude, RIO!
    Thanks, that’s really nice of you to say. I’m having a bit of an easier time stepping back from it now - I know that guitars are just things but I was so attached to this one because of what it represented when I got it. It has also been the only constant in my life since the separation other than my daughter and has really kept me sane when things are tough which meant a lot of time out in on that guitar. However now I’m just really grateful for the time I had with it and that things worked out - one thing I try to do both for myself and to teach my kid is to be grateful even if things look bad. This has already proven to turn positive as Mike is getting the guitar and through talking to him I’m seeing some real good in the world, which isn’t something I’ve seen lately when in a negative place, and playing another guitar might force me to approach the instrument differently which is probably a good thing in the long run. Some day I would be tempted to try to get enough education to teach in a college. I enjoy any lessons with students who practice but my favorites over the years have been older kids and adults playing jazz and seeing them develop, even to the point where a number of them over the years have gone into music and crossing paths playing gigs together so I think college level teaching would probably be gratifying, but who knows. I think I need more practice.

My daughter is 7 now. Time flies like crazy - I remember 6 months and the developmental milestones were so cool to see happening. Other parents would tell me back then how fast time would go, and I believed them but now looking back it’s definitely the case.

User Info Menu

You are a good man Rio. I will keep you in prayer and also look forward hopefully for the next chapter of your life.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Paul/Rio, my best wishes to you and your daughter, mate. Hang in there and be strong. You are a great father! Another L5 will come your way.
    Great Deals with Great Folks: max52 (Guild-Benedetto Artist Award); prickards (Ribbecke GC Halfling); Cincy2 (Comins Concert)

User Info Menu

Gotta say, sometimes I read these posts just to soak in the humanity I find here. It's a refreshing antidote to the isolation and callousness that are so prevalent in the larger world.

User Info Menu

I'm sorry you had to sell it Rio. Here's hoping it will someday be just another minor regret, for what was the best cause possible.

User Info Menu

Positive vibes your way, Rio. Hang in there!

User Info Menu

I always liked your tone and skills on any guitar i heard you play... and you have been a source of inspiration for many on the forum. I want to thank you for that, and i wish you courage in hard times.

the very best of luck.

bruno.
    Last edited by Brubra; 06-11-2019 at 03:21 PM.