Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Boy, spring came late this year up here. As did spring cleaning. I'm finding all sorts of junk around here, including this beat-up old archtop. To summarize, it's a 1940 D'Angelico built for Orpheum as a "Style E". Sounds like a D'Angelico that has been played hard and continuously for many years. Feels great, plays great, smells great, looks like shit. Requires zero work to be done to it - everything it needed was done. Will come with a Dearmond 1100 RI installed where one use to be, or in the case (as you prefer), replacing the temporary mini-humbucker in the pix. And it will have cool little knobs. It has a cool old Lifton brown croc/brown felt interior case as well in very good shape, and a pile of old paperwork from the original owner - Franky Little.

    Previously sold by Mandolin Bros (I posted their listing below) and then by Retrofrets, it is currently resting with various other lovely acoustic archtops in my man-cave. Their listings have some decent pix and it pretty much looks the same. Someone take it away, please. $4,995 - Stan's price in 2014 (+costs & shipping). I'll ship it anywhere for the cost of shipping/insurance. Or deliver it in person within a reasonable distance from wherever I happen to be.

    I figure a few of you might be interested - a D'Angelico, ready to go, for under $5K. Come on down!
    Some video, electrified. Nothing acoustic handy:




    Some pix below.

    Last edited by Hammertone; 06-20-2019 at 06:24 PM.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Pix:



    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    And more pix:



    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    And some more pix:



    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Here's the Mandolin Bros. listing, with my corrections noted:

    "In very good plus condition with original hard case. John D’Angelico, the Wizard of Kenmare Street, seeking an opportunity to make less expensive guitars for the wartime or postwar player, purchased bodies from outside contractors, and did the rest of the work himself. [Ed: this is wrong, but Stan was probably drunk or high. This guitar was built by John D'angelico. The only part he did not build is the laminated back]. This guitar has a spruce top and presumably laminated maple sides and back
    [Ed: this is wrong, the rims are solid]. This appears to be tightly grained and also appears to be good quality. The maple back is one-piece and, like the sides, shows only an Imodium of curl. The spruce top hosts three hairline repaired top cracks plus one actual repaired crack to the right of the treble f-hole, the last of which is related to the debacle on the lower treble side, where you will observe around 12 cracks in a formerly crushed but reasonably well repaired and cleated area which old repair is probably what necessitated the overspray that the body received. Both f-holes are bound in celluloid and there is an area of discoloration around each sound port. The guitar has a John D’Angelico celluloid bound neck including a black ebony fingerboard embellished with large pearl block inlays in seven positions – from first fret to fourteenth; the headstock is inlaid with an “Orpheum” banner etched in a trapezoid with a black border, and an etched “Style E” in an inlaid pearl keystone. The guitar is acoustic only, and comes with no pickup, although there is a semi-circular cut-out on the pickguard where a floating pickup once resided. In addition it is bestowed with a gold-plated Oettinger style (but not Oettinger brand) “six-finger” adjustable tailpiece that’s missing 5 of its six individual angle-adjustment screws, and this is stamped, at its bottom “Pat. Pend.” [Ed: replaced with something somewhat more appropriate]. The top binding is black-white-black, side and back binding are just black; there is a strap pin in the bass side near the neck. Its tuners are Grover large-back with stair-step gold buttons. The fingerboard width is a penurious 1 9/16th, but we still find it to be quite comfortable, and the scale length is a perfect 25”. The width of the body at its lower bout is 16 3/4”; it has 20 frets total and the string spacing at the bridge is 1 15/16th”. The two-piece adjustable bridge is a hand-made John D’Angelico construction out of what appears to be a Brazilian rosewood base and an ebony saddle. The top is bound in black-white-black, the sides and back in black.

    This instrument was owned and played professionally by guitarist Frankie Little who lived in Valley Stream, NY and played nightly in the The Frankie Little Trio from the mid-‘50s to the mid-‘70s. He contracted parties for the stock exchange, weddings, the San Gennero Festival, and had a steady gig at Mama Leone’s restaurant. He also played in “The Chefs” band whose musicians all wore the chef’s outfits and moved from table to table in the restaurant (hey, that’s show biz). Mr. Little started his professional career in vaudeville, playing the Paramount Theatre in Manhattan. He played in a group called The Red Jackets and he performed on the CYO circuit in canteens during World War II. He hung around with people like Boris Karloff, Burns and Allen when they were working in vaudeville, Jackie Cooper, Betty Boop (yes, there actually was such a performer) and Bob Crosby, Bing’s brother, who also had a band. Mr. Little’s 45-RPM recordings included “Redhead” and “Monkey Doodle Polka.” In the guitar’s case is found the sheet music to “Swinging on a Star,” copyright 1944. There’s a box containing a somewhat dried out fake nose, complete with box, copyright 1961, titled “The Snoz” – “Most natural looking of all” – with the instructions: “When smoking the smoke can be blown thru nose holes to make it look real.” On a collection of index cards, in the case, are the handwritten words to songs such as “Red Roses for a Blue Lady” and “Did Your Mother Come from Ireland.” There is a box of “Blitz Cloth” – “wipes away tarnish.” In addition there is a 10-cent Collegian spiral notepad with handwritten song titles, and, lastly an unused white matchbook that reads “Nancy and John, June 12, 1971.”

    Our head of repair, who can smell a D’Angelico from two-blocks away, Leroy Aiello, himself, performed a needed neck reset and fret dress and this guitar now plays like the melted spread itself. Even before it was restrung, we could tell that this was going to be one colossal-sounding chord thumper and it turns out to be quite amazing sounding. It is truly the affordable D’Angelico-made alternative [Ed: this is wrong, the guitar is not an alternative to a D'Angelico. It is a D'Angelico].
    WAS $8243. NOW ON SALE for:
    Our Discount Price is $5,149.00 and Our Cash Discount Price is $4,995.00."
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    Here's the Mandolin Bros. listing, with my corrections noted:

    "In very good plus condition with original hard case. John D’Angelico, the Wizard of Kenmare Street, seeking an opportunity to make less expensive guitars for the wartime or postwar player, purchased bodies from outside contractors, and did the rest of the work himself. [Ed: this is wrong, but Stan was probably drunk or high. This guitar was built by John D'angelico. The only part he did not build is the laminated back]. This guitar has a spruce top and presumably laminated maple sides and back
    [Ed: this is wrong, the rims are solid]. This appears to be tightly grained and also appears to be good quality. The maple back is one-piece and, like the sides, shows only an Imodium of curl. The spruce top hosts three hairline repaired top cracks plus one actual repaired crack to the right of the treble f-hole, the last of which is related to the debacle on the lower treble side, where you will observe around 12 cracks in a formerly crushed but reasonably well repaired and cleated area which old repair is probably what necessitated the overspray that the body received. Both f-holes are bound in celluloid and there is an area of discoloration around each sound port. The guitar has a John D’Angelico celluloid bound neck including a black ebony fingerboard embellished with large pearl block inlays in seven positions – from first fret to fourteenth; the headstock is inlaid with an “Orpheum” banner etched in a trapezoid with a black border, and an etched “Style E” in an inlaid pearl keystone. The guitar is acoustic only, and comes with no pickup, although there is a semi-circular cut-out on the pickguard where a floating pickup once resided. In addition it is bestowed with a gold-plated Oettinger style (but not Oettinger brand) “six-finger” adjustable tailpiece that’s missing 5 of its six individual angle-adjustment screws, and this is stamped, at its bottom “Pat. Pend.” [Ed: replaced with something somewhat more appropriate]. The top binding is black-white-black, side and back binding are just black; there is a strap pin in the bass side near the neck. Its tuners are Grover large-back with stair-step gold buttons. The fingerboard width is a penurious 1 9/16th, but we still find it to be quite comfortable, and the scale length is a perfect 25”. The width of the body at its lower bout is 16 3/4”; it has 20 frets total and the string spacing at the bridge is 1 15/16th”. The two-piece adjustable bridge is a hand-made John D’Angelico construction out of what appears to be a Brazilian rosewood base and an ebony saddle. The top is bound in black-white-black, the sides and back in black.

    This instrument was owned and played professionally by guitarist Frankie Little who lived in Valley Stream, NY and played nightly in the The Frankie Little Trio from the mid-‘50s to the mid-‘70s. He contracted parties for the stock exchange, weddings, the San Gennero Festival, and had a steady gig at Mama Leone’s restaurant. He also played in “The Chefs” band whose musicians all wore the chef’s outfits and moved from table to table in the restaurant (hey, that’s show biz). Mr. Little started his professional career in vaudeville, playing the Paramount Theatre in Manhattan. He played in a group called The Red Jackets and he performed on the CYO circuit in canteens during World War II. He hung around with people like Boris Karloff, Burns and Allen when they were working in vaudeville, Jackie Cooper, Betty Boop (yes, there actually was such a performer) and Bob Crosby, Bing’s brother, who also had a band. Mr. Little’s 45-RPM recordings included “Redhead” and “Monkey Doodle Polka.” In the guitar’s case is found the sheet music to “Swinging on a Star,” copyright 1944. There’s a box containing a somewhat dried out fake nose, complete with box, copyright 1961, titled “The Snoz” – “Most natural looking of all” – with the instructions: “When smoking the smoke can be blown thru nose holes to make it look real.” On a collection of index cards, in the case, are the handwritten words to songs such as “Red Roses for a Blue Lady” and “Did Your Mother Come from Ireland.” There is a box of “Blitz Cloth” – “wipes away tarnish.” In addition there is a 10-cent Collegian spiral notepad with handwritten song titles, and, lastly an unused white matchbook that reads “Nancy and John, June 12, 1971.”

    Our head of repair, who can smell a D’Angelico from two-blocks away, Leroy Aiello, himself, performed a needed neck reset and fret dress and this guitar now plays like the melted spread itself. Even before it was restrung, we could tell that this was going to be one colossal-sounding chord thumper and it turns out to be quite amazing sounding. It is truly the affordable D’Angelico-made alternative [Ed: this is wrong, the guitar is not an alternative to a D'Angelico. It is a D'Angelico].
    WAS $8243. NOW ON SALE for:
    Our Discount Price is $5,149.00 and Our Cash Discount Price is $4,995.00."

    Ah,the hyperbole!,We miss you Stan.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    Boy, spring came late this year up here.
    SPRING??? Right down the road here in da Buff it's still like friggin late winter!

    WS - Happily leaving for a European tour tonight
    -- Isn't it crazy that "archtop" and "luthier" are spelling errors on this forum?

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Your D'Angelico has a beautiful sound to it!

    I particularly like the way the melody notes sound and the sustain and clarity that each note has.

    Quite a guitar - should sell quickly!

    Regards,
    Steven Herron

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    Boy, spring came late this year up here. As did spring cleaning. I'm finding all sorts of junk around here, including this beat-up old archtop. I'll post a detailed description of it to come but I wanted to get this up. So, to summarize, it's a 1940 D'Angelico built for Orpheum as a "Style E". Sounds like a D'Angelico that has been played hard and continuously for many years. Feels great, plays great, smells great, looks like shit. Requires zero work to be done to it - everything it needed was done. Will come with a Dearmond 1100 RI installed where one use to be, replacing the temporary mini-humbucker in the pix. And it will have cool little knobs! It has a cool old case as well (pix to come), and a pile of old paperwork from the original owner - Franky Little.

    Previously sold by Mandolin Bros (I posted their listing below) and then by Retrofrets, it is currently resting with various other lovely acoustic archtops in my man-cave. Their listings have some decent pix and it pretty much looks the same. Someone take it away, please. $5,000 (+costs & shipping). I'll ship it anywhere for the cost of shipping/insurance. Or deliver it in person within a reasonable distance from wherever I happen to be.

    Lots more to come. I figure a few of you might be interested. Come on down!
    Some video, electrified. Nothing acoustic handy:




    Some pix below.
    Sounds like a D'A to me. Do you know what amp he was using? It was nice to hear the melody to "TOTS" played clearly, and without being followed by a bewildering speech...

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound View Post
    SPRING??? Right down the road here in da Buff it's still like friggin late winter!
    WS - Happily leaving for a European tour tonight
    Well, hope springs eternal. Today sucks, again.
    I suspect we'll head directly into summer weather.
    When you come back from Europe, buy my Ampeg VT-22. I know you want it.
    Heck, grab the D'A - it sounds great both acoustically and through the Ampeg.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Hammer, is the pickup a Lollar gold foil single coil? The guitar sounds great. Someone needs to buy it. Trevor sure knows how to play it too. GLWTS. That's quite a pedigree.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone View Post
    Hammer, is the pickup a Lollar gold foil single coil? The guitar sounds great. Someone needs to buy it. Trevor sure knows how to play it too. GLWTS. That's quite a pedigree.
    The pickup in the recordings is a gold foil, played through an old tweed Deluxe. Trevor later had it switched to the mini-humbucker in the pix. It still sounds great but is a bit clunky, held in place with mastic, and has some clearance issues. The plan is to install a short rod/Dearmond 1100 RI, using the holes from a previously installed, long-gone short rod/ Dearmond, and connect it to the existing wiring loom. That will probably sound great, will certainly match the vibe of the guitar, and definitely fit better. But where the guitar really shines is in its acoustic sound, which is excellent.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 06-04-2019 at 08:45 PM.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    I got to play it today and totally agree with Hammer that but for the laminated back it is a D'Angelico solid build through and through. Feels great, plays well, sounds lovely. Not much of a looker, but a terrific player guitar at an excellent price.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    I'm back from the beach (it was lovely, except for the tornados) and figured I'd bump this up.
    Heck, I'll throw in shipping and PP anywhere in Canada and the US.
    Toronto-area members will get personal delivery and an appropriate discount.
    Seems like a fabbo deal on a guitar built by John D'Angelico himself.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.