Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

'81 ES-175 w/CC P/U

ES-175CC '81 - Dave's Guitar Shop

No affiliation w/ seller......just a heads-up..........

Nice! Two weeks ago Cream City music had one for $2,350. It was not in as good a condition as this one appears to be, but it had a nice neck and sounded great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M. View Post
    Nice! Two weeks ago Cream City music had one for $2,350. It was not in as good a condition as this one appears to be, but it had a nice neck and sounded great.
    Well I'll be......was it on their website, or just in store ?

I stopped in on a Saturday, and there it was. The sales guy said they just got it from a guitar show. I went through a major bought of GAS, thinking about how I could raise the cash for it, and had them hold it for a day for me. The sales guy said that he had an online inquiry as well, so it must have been on their site for a short time. I assume it’s gone by now, but I haven’t been back to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D View Post
    ES-175CC '81 - Dave's Guitar Shop

No affiliation w/ seller......just a heads-up..........
    3 piece Maple neck according to Dave's description. Seems odd, but not unheard of for a 175.

The one @ Cream City had some mods, added removed switch near control knobs and added/removed humbucker near bridge.
    I wondered why the price was low, so....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M. View Post
    I stopped in on a Saturday, and there it was. The sales guy said they just got it from a guitar show. I went through a major bought of GAS, thinking about how I could raise the cash for it, and had them hold it for a day for me. The sales guy said that he had an online inquiry as well, so it must have been on their site for a short time. I assume it’s gone by now, but I haven’t been back to check.
    That's interesting. I have never seen anything tempting on their site. It's my mistake, I'm sure, but I quit watching years ago. And I just looked and they have what, 2 used archtops? I know they advertise wanting to buy any and all collections, and attend the same shows I do buying stuff, so they must get some.
    Oh well.......

It’s pretty hit and miss there. I only live a couple of miles from the store so it’s easy to stop in. Every once in awhile they get a nice arch top or two.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    The one @ Cream City had some mods, added removed switch near control knobs and added/removed humbucker near bridge.
    I wondered why the price was low, so....
    Yes, that’s true. It looks like someone mounted a HB on the top in the bridge position at one time and added a selector switch. You could see traces of the p/u on the lacquer and the screw holes for the p/u mount. There was a hole in the top where the switch used to be, also. It was definitely a player’s guitar, but worth that price, IMO.

Dave's Guitar Shop also has a Gibson Trini Lopez model archtop for sale!

I haven't seen one of those in decades and have never gotten to play one either.

I've always wondered what one would sound like in a chord melody solo situation.

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Learn To Play Jazz Guitar Chord Melody Solos

I thought the CCs were only made in 79& 80?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron View Post
    Dave's Guitar Shop also has a Gibson Trini Lopez model archtop for sale!

I haven't seen one of those in decades and have never gotten to play one either.

I've always wondered what one would sound like in a chord melody solo situation.

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Learn To Play Jazz Guitar Chord Melody Solos
    My guitar teacher back in the '60's also sold guitars and for some reason just liked those TL's. They came out around the same time as the Barney Kessels, ( I think ), and he just thought they were a deal. He never gigged with one - he always seemed to play 335's, but said he always had a TL available to sell.

Yeah, those good ol' days.....
    Last edited by Dennis D; Yesterday at 09:24 PM.

Anybody have an opinion on the ES175CC in general? I figure they made so few because the market wasn't there but it's a very cool looking 175. I found a couple of comments that a particular one was "dead" sounding and another that it's kind of a one trick pony but if you like the trick it might be just the thing. Full disclosure - I'm going to try to get to Dave's tomorrow and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoSolo View Post
    Anybody have an opinion on the ES175CC in general? I figure they made so few because the market wasn't there but it's a very cool looking 175. I found a couple of comments that a particular one was "dead" sounding and another that it's kind of a one trick pony but if you like the trick it might be just the thing. Full disclosure - I'm going to try to get to Dave's tomorrow and check it out.
    He's also got a WesMo you may want to checkout. Hopefully that 175 is clean. I don't think it's priced unreasonably.

Good luck !

He's also got a WesMo you may want to checkout. Hopefully that 175 is clean. I don't think it's priced unreasonably.

Good luck !
    I live more than an hour away so I called and talked to one of the sales guys and he said it had a few very minor "handling marks" but there was no apparent fret wear on the original frets and otherwise looked lightly used and set up well. Dave and his people have always been straight with me and I've bought a couple of guitars, amps, and misc., there but I have found some vintage guitars and a vintage amp there with issues being sold as-is so I will take it to one of the lesson rooms and play it for a while and give it a good look-over.

The WesMo, well, yes, the WesMo.

I've played a few, they sound ok, but not nearly as good as an original prewar ES150 -or ES-250.
    There's something magical about the original Christian pu's.
    That said a 175cc is gonna cost about 1/2 what an orig 150 would and 10 times less than a 250

The one at Dave's is gone.

I played one that was here in Nashville at Rumbleseat Music a couple of months ago. It was heavy and dead sounding acoustically with a strange feeling neck (may have been partly due to the thick finish). Plugged in it was really noisy and not very impressive.
    It was the second CC equipped guitar that I've played that had a strange issue...when I would shift the guitar (mainly when I would lean forward, like to adjust amp settings) the coil bobbin would slide out from around the blade/bar, ending up touching the strings. There's a L-50 with a CC at Carter Vintage that does a similar thing. Anyone know if that's a common issue with CC pickups?

FWIW, here's the L-50, which is still available and sounds good:
    Gibson L-50 1938 – Carter Vintage Guitars

On that L-50 at Carter, where are those three attachment screws you usually see w/ Gibson CC P/U's ?

Is this a different brand or ??

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamScott View Post
    The one at Dave's is gone.
    Naw, I've got it on hold. Leaving shortly.

On that L-50 at Carter, where are those three attachment screws you usually see w/ Gibson CC P/U's ?

Is this a different brand or ??
    I think it may be from a lap steel. The only other one that I've seen like that is from a custom ES-250 (maybe Alvino Rey's...I can't remember who it was for). Carter seems to think that it was done by Gibson.
    '81  ES-175 w/CC P/U-250-jpg

Didn't like the 175CC enough to want to plug it in. The bridge was canted like a dog relieving himself - adjuster was low on the treble side and 3/4ths to 4/5ths up the threads on the bass side. Sighting down the high e, the neck looked dead straight but the bass side had a pronounced curve. I'm not a guitar tech but I suppose the bridge is adjusted the way it is to compensate for an uneven neck. It had more dings than I expected but they're not bad. It doesn't look like it's been played much - that much of the disclosure was spot on. It was surprisingly heavy.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed