Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hi all,

[Edit] - Price drop and shipping. There's been some good interest but I've had a couple of buyers drop out at the 11th hour. I have some other guitars on my radar but this one needs to move first so I'm dropping the price to £1600 (from £1800) and I'm now willing to ship globally. I'm also open to (part) exchanges - a Godin multiac nylon or similar electro classical, or any interesting archtops would be great. Also the Eastman t64 I mentioned has gone. [End Edit]

I'm looking to sell a rather lovely Hofner Verythin "John Stowell" model from 2005.

It's a great jazz guitar, handmade in Germany. I have it listed on Reverb here Hofner Verythin "John Stowell" JS in violin varnish | Reverb but I'm happy to talk direct to people here too. I'm open to offers and my preference is to sell within the UK but I can ship if necessary. I'm looking for £1600 (down from £1800) at the moment.

Without further ado, the photos:

As you can see there are some marks around the right hand f-hole in the first image. I have some more detailed pics of these if anyone is concerned.

Comes with original tags and a really nice Hofner made case (pictured above).

How does it sound? It's fully carved but with a solid center block. From what I can tell, the block isn't in contact with the top for the whole length of the body so it's a bit of a halfway house. The pickup is brighter than most floating humbuckers I've tried but still has a fat sound for single lines. You also get some of the percussive attack of an archtop but without the feedback issues. The scale feels quite long so there's lots of room for intricate chord voicings (something I suspect John Stowell was going for). I can do some demos if anyone is interested.

I don't really have the vocabulary to describe the playability - I've no idea about the differences between C neck profiles etc. I can only say that it's enjoyable to play with either flats or roundwounds.

In terms of the backstory, I used to work in Forsyths in Manchester (around 2007) and on my lunch break I would sneak in and play the one of these they had in. Literally the day I'd decided to pull the trigger, it had been sold to someone else. I looked for one on and off for ages with no luck, but ended up finding this one via Google images of all things. It was in a shop in Finland (Soitin Laine) and they didn't have the local market or the reach with their website so it was with them a couple of years.

It's a lovely guitar but in the days since I worked in the shop my playing has gone in different directions. I'm mostly playing big band stuff on a fully acoustic archtop (1937 Cromwell G4) and I'm experimenting more with a v52 tele for everything else. The short of it is that this is too nice a guitar not to be played by someone. I'd decided to sell a while ago but only just got around to listing it.

(In the meantime I also bought an Eastman T64 (bigsby, 2x P90s) to "replace" this one but I'm not really bonding with that either. The Eastman is £1000 if anyone is curious.) [Edit - Eastman is now sold! March 2019]

I'm secretly hoping Hammertone has something nice to say about this one...
    Last edited by xavriley; 05-17-2019 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Price drop and shipping change

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What can I say?
    Hofner made fewer than 150 John Stowell Verythins, and of these fewer than 50 were made in the violin varnish finish.
    They are gorgeous guitars that play great and sound great.
    The violin varnish (shellac) finish means that any scratches can easily be made to disappear by any competent violin tech.
    Some of these Verythins are mildy neck-heavy but it's dead easy to fix that.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

User Info Menu

This model appeals to me. The instrument has the look of a stringed instrument in a symphonic orchestra. Perhaps a legacy model of sorts to their origins?

If it was in North America we would be talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    What can I say?
    Hofner made fewer than 150 John Stowell Verythins, and of these fewer than 50 were made in the violin varnish finish.
    They are gorgeous guitars that play great and sound great.
    The violin varnish (shellac) finish means that any scratches can easily be made to disappear by any competent violin tech.
    Some of these Verythins are mildy neck-heavy but it's dead easy to fix that.

User Info Menu

I've never seen a Hofner John Stowell model before but it's a beautiful guitar to say the least!

I couldn't help but notice the fully compensated bridge saddle so I would guess that the intonation is just superb all over the neck.

Thank you for the nice photos and good luck with the sale!

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Jazz Guitar Tabs - Solos, Tabs Books, Instruction DVDs + Video Lessons

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    This model appeals to me. The instrument has the look of a stringed instrument in a symphonic orchestra. Perhaps a legacy model of sorts to their origins? If it was in North America we would be talking.
    Well, for anyone in Europe or the UK, that JS for sale is gorgeous and an excellent value. Someone buy it!
    And, for anyone in North America who s afraid of the Atlantic Ocean but likes JS Verythins, I know a guy...
    Last edited by Hammertone; 02-07-2019 at 06:56 AM.

User Info Menu

thats one fine lookin guitar..i remember vids of stowell playin it..great...altho he's always great anyway..even with that skeleton guitar!

beautiful guitar..hofner!

cheers

User Info Menu

Incredible guitar!

..and not just John Stowell.. there is and Jimmy Wyble, Sid Jacobs..
    I don’t plan to buy a new guitar. But, while this beauty is on the forum I am quite restless. Please grab it soon!

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Fal Tarlow; 02-03-2019 at 05:28 AM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

pm sent

User Info Menu

What’s the difference between this guitar and the Verythin JS “Vintage” listed for...gulp...$7,000 on reverb.com?

User Info Menu

This one costs less.
    Other than that, they are the same.
    How about that, eh?

USD $2,430
    Hofner Verythin "John Stowell" JS in violin varnish | Reverb

USD $7,000:
    Hofner Verythin John Stowell Vintage #34/50 | Reverb
    Last edited by Hammertone; 02-22-2019 at 11:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Hammertone; Once again giving those priceless words of wisdom as a public service to this forum. Lol!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    Hammertone; Once again giving those priceless words of wisdom as a public service to this forum. Lol!
    I am happy to help, especially with complex issues like this one.
    =:^|

Sorry Rob - I completely missed this. Do you still have the Juan Hernandez? If you're ever south of the border I'd be interested to give it a go.

User Info Menu

Bump to point out the recent edit:

[Edit] - Price drop and shipping. There's been some good interest but I've had a couple of buyers drop out at the 11th hour. I have some other guitars on my radar but this one needs to move first so I'm dropping the price to £1600 (from £1800) and I'm now willing to ship globally. I'm also open to (part) exchanges - a Godin multiac nylon or similar electro classical, or any interesting archtops would be great. Also the Eastman t64 I mentioned has gone. [End Edit]

If anyone can tell me how to change the title of the post to reflect the new price I'd appreciate it. In future I'll leave it in the description instead.

SOLD - it's going back to Germany for a lucky buyer there. Thanks for all the comments and information on this thread - hopefully it's useful to someone else when one of these comes up for sale again.

(ps can anyone can teach me how to edit a thread title?)