Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

2006 Gibson L5 CES Sunburst

Hello, All. While I hate to part with this guitar, I have my eye on another instrument that is better suited for my current playing needs.

This is a 2006 sunburst Gibson L5 CES from the Nashville Custom Shop and signed by Jim Hutchins. The guitar is in very good to excellent condition with average playing wear. The most notable wear is a small spot on the neck binding, bass side at the 10th fret where the lacquer has worn off. It is visible in a picture below. There is also a small dot of discoloration on the binding where the the neck and headstock come together, also pictured. There are a few other very minor dings on the top and back that don't show in the pictures.

This guitar plays exceptionally well, with low action. Includes original Custom Shop hard case and COA.

The sale price is $6,000 USD. Buyer pays shipping and PayPal. US buyers only, please.
    Attached Images Attached Images 2006 Gibson L5 CES Sunburst-l5-neck-back-jpg 2006 Gibson L5 CES Sunburst-l5-full-1-jpg 2006 Gibson L5 CES Sunburst-l5-back-1-jpg 2006 Gibson L5 CES Sunburst-l5-spot-jpg 2006 Gibson L5 CES Sunburst-l5-chip-jpg 
    Last edited by Mark M.; 11-06-2018 at 08:33 PM.

Hi Mark,
    That is a beautiful guitar.
    The L5 CES is is about as good as it gets and you will sell that guitar. Be patient because this market blows but you will sell that wonderful guitar, for sure.
    Beautiful. Simply beautiful.
    Joe D

Thanks, Joe. The pictures don't really do it justice. I'm going to try and borrow a better camera to get some better images up. And, I don't know why they are uploading 90 or 180 degrees from how they should be.

Sweet

More stripes than a Bengal Tiger. Sweet axe. GLWTS !!!

More pics.

2006 Gibson L5 CES Sunburst-l5-back-3-jpg2006 Gibson L5 CES Sunburst-l5-front-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images 2006 Gibson L5 CES Sunburst-l5-headstock-jpg 2006 Gibson L5 CES Sunburst-l5-case-jpg 

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    More stripes than a Bengal Tiger. Sweet axe. GLWTS !!!
    Thanks,Vinny. I am actually still ambivalent about selling it. I will hate to see it go.

This guitar has a bit of a story.
    I bought it used from a well known dealer in Fl, and the story I got from him is that it was an "apology guitar" built by Hutchins for a frequent buyer who got an L5CES shipped to him that he was unhappy with. Hutchins sent him this one to make up for it.

I need a cigarette and I haven't smoked in 25 years! GLWTS. Pretty much the top of the archtop food chain there....

Is it possible to take a closeup of the frets please?

thanks
    "Ahhh - those Jazz guys are just makin' that stuff up!" - Homer Simpson

"Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by edh View Post
    Is it possible to take a closeup of the frets please?

thanks
    I know these aren't great shots, but I hope they give an idea. I would say there is light to moderate wear. It had a full set up and fret dressing about 4 years ago, so it's probably time for one again. This guitar is so solid and stable that the neck and action hasn't changed since then. There is plenty of life left on the frets.

2006 Gibson L5 CES Sunburst-l5-frets-2-jpg2006 Gibson L5 CES Sunburst-l5-frets-1-jpg

Wow - That's a beautiful Gibson L5 sunburst!

The flamed maple back on that guitar is just gorgeous.

I don't think you'll have any trouble selling it.

Regards,
    Steven Herron
    Learn To Play Chord Melody Guitar

Thanks, Steve.

Great price too! L5CES' at the above price point don't grow on spruce trees! GLWTS!
    John Coltrane has been sort of a god to me. Seems like, he didn't get the inspiration out of other musicians. He had it. - Wes Montgomery

Thanks, Greg. The guitar is also listed on Reverb. The price here is discounted for forum members.

That is some of the finest curly maple I have seen on a Nashville L5CES and illustrative of the archtops made during Jim Hutchins's tenure. This is why Jim Hutchins's tenure archtops are sought out by some: the maple chosen is consistently evenly and nicely figured. When Mike McGuire took over from Jim, maple with mineral rings and streaks and a wilder more asymmetric figure was seen. A different æesthetic chosen by Mike. Under Philip Whorton, maple with bald patches was chosen sometimes. Again, a different æesthetic.

The Jim Hutchins Antique Sunburst was warmer in tone and less black. This is a fine example from Jim's tenure as Shop Sup.
    Great Deals with Great Folks: max52 (Guild-Benedetto Artist Award); prickards (Ribbecke GC Halfling); Cincy2 (Comins Concert)

Good GRAVY!! What a beautiful L5! GLWTS!

Thanks, Ken.

Gorgeous, GLWTS

Thanks, Paulie.

A Sunday bump.

Ending Sale

Guys, as I mentioned earlier, I have been very ambivalent about selling this guitar. And, after a lot of thought and a few more playing hours on this beauty, I have decided that I'm not ready to part with it. Someday, I'd like a nice carved 17" with a floater, but not at the expense of giving up my prized L5. I would likely never have another one, and certainly not one as nice as this one. The comments on this post from many of you also helped confirm that for me. So, this one is staying!

Smart decision.

I have never regretted keeping a guitar.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

I am glad you are keeping it, Mark. It is getting hard to replace since the long-term future of Gibson archtops is in question. You have such a nice L5CES, too.
    Great Deals with Great Folks: max52 (Guild-Benedetto Artist Award); prickards (Ribbecke GC Halfling); Cincy2 (Comins Concert)

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed