User Info Menu

I'm selling my Ampeg VT-22 2x12" combo. A true classic, but I have too many of these amps that are not being used. I have been to the top of the Ampeg mountain and now it is time to share the joy. Not the prettiest, but it's in great shape for a @45-year-old amp. Just back from the amp doctor, after several years of rest. It is now in excellent health, with fresh 7027A power tubes.
    -Conservatively rated at 100 watts RMS
    -original speakers
    -on casters, weighs a ton (according to Ampeg, it weighs a mere 88 pounds)
    -decorative
    extra knob (wiring was returned to stock Ampeg over 25 years ago)
    -everything working fine. Power light flickers - standby light works fine.
    -Power cord swapped out for 3-prong plug.
    -all the good stuff - 2/4/8 ohm switch for running other cabs; reverb lock; AC outlet; amp out; many tonal adjustments with dandy rocker switches; etceteras.

It's a fantastic, clean jazz amp with massive tonal flexibility, lots of headroom, spring reverb, and so forth. Of course, if you want to play Sticky Fingers, or use a pedalboard, it's great for that as well.
    Come on down and roll it away! Happy to drive a reasonable distance to deliver the amp. Or ship it for actual cost, if you are completely bonkers. I have it on Reverb at $825, a very good price for this amp, but am happy to provide forum members with an additional discount.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 02-17-2019 at 07:04 PM.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Pix:

User Info Menu

more pix:

User Info Menu

Great amp! Seeing yours brings back memories of my mis-spent youth....dragging that beast from club to club in the trunk of my old Dodge Dart. I recall having to adjust that economy car's headlamps downward in order to compensate for the VT-22's weight crushing the factory rear suspension. Truth be told, the suspension was pretty poor to begin with. I never brought the amp into my second story apartment. It stayed in the trunk 24/7 until called upon to do its loud, toneful thing at the next gig.

But man, how I loved to crank up that fire-breathing Ampeg!

Good luck with your sale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    Happy to drive a reasonable distance to deliver the amp. Or ship it for actual cost, if you are completely bonkers. I have it on Reverb at $825, a very good price for this amp, but am happy to provide forum members with an additional small discount.
    Think I could sneak it over the Peace Bridge under a blanket? Hardly noticeable.
    -- Isn't it crazy that "archtop" and "luthier" are spelling errors on this forum?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound View Post
    Think I could sneak it over the Peace Bridge under a blanket? Hardly noticeable.
    Happy to deliver it to your door at no charge....
    Last edited by Hammertone; 08-07-2019 at 12:52 AM.

User Info Menu

I've been using the VT-22 daily since retrieving it from the archives, and it continues to rewl.
    Surely one of you reasonably close-by members wants to buy it, park it in the preferred spot in your man-cave, sell off your current puny toy amp, and achieve tonal nirvana.
    What's that, you have two preferred corners? You need to vacuum behind the amp? Well, that's what the casters are for - to effortlessly glide the machine around as you need.
    Come on down!

And since I have so many speaker cabs as well, I'd be happy to trade it for an equivalently fabulous head of some sort, which would open up a bit more space in my crowded man-cave.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 08-07-2019 at 12:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler View Post
    Great amp! Seeing yours brings back memories of my mis-spent youth....dragging that beast from club to club in the trunk of my old Dodge Dart. I recall having to adjust that economy car's headlamps downward in order to compensate for the VT-22's weight crushing the factory rear suspension. Truth be told, the suspension was pretty poor to begin with. I never brought the amp into my second story apartment. It stayed in the trunk 24/7 until called upon to do its loud, toneful thing at the next gig.

But man, how I loved to crank up that fire-breathing Ampeg!

Good luck with your sale.
    I love the story about leaving it in your trunk forever. Woe to the poor thief who steals this beast. I used to gig with a V2 head and my piano player used a VT22 for his Rhodes. What a beast. It makes a Twin sound thin and weak. Ampeg made no attempt to reduce weight or save space. It is quite simply the LOUDEST combo ever made. I can imagine Keith Richard thought he had hit the lottery when he first played one of these. GLWTS. I hope it goes to a large young man who will appreciate its greatness.

User Info Menu

FWIW, if you haven't ever played a VT-22 you might not realize what you are missing. This combo amp will KILL a Fender Twin Reverb. It's loud and clean as ... well, as you can imagine. The VT-22 really moves some air. I played through one that belonged to a friend back in the 70s, using it for several gigs. When you stand in front of it you actually feel your pant legs moving from the force of the air being knocked around (on a rock gig).

The great thing, of course, is that Ampegs have the BEST tone sections in the known universe. Utilizing baxandall eq circuitry for bass, mid, and treble knobs, you get flat settings at mid-rotation. So, if you have all three knobs at 12-o'clock, the amp is set for a flat response. This is NOT the case with Fender, Vox, and Marshall amps. at mid-rotation, those amps give you a big midrange scoop. Thus, things don't sound very jazzy (at least to my ears).

Tommy Gumina had this in mind when he designed Polytone amps--make Ampeg sounding amps, but smaller and lighter.

Oh, as someone who has purchased guitars and amps from Hammertone, let me say that he is a superb fellow to deal with.