Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

2012 Paul Reed Smith JA-15

Mint condition PRS JA-15 from 2012 with desirable 53/10 humbuckers, three color sunburst finish, all original. I have had this guitar for a few years and am the second owner. It gets little play because of my Gibson fixation, which is not its fault. It would easily have become a regular player if that wasn't the case. Having it in hand now to write this copy, I roll my eyes at how nice it is.

This guitar is set up perfectly with no fret wear, and is very light. The pickups and other specs were designed to the whim of Paul Jackson Jr., a top studio guitarist and former Tonight Show Band member. You can find YouTube videos of him playing it.

15" bout, 2.375" rim depth. 25" scale, full size D shaped neck profile. Completely hollow except for a spruce block under the tailpiece. All maple construction with ebony fingerboard, mahogany sides, and spruce top. No laminates, all solid wood.

Tone is rich and warm and punchy in the low mids, with a woody chirp on top. It does not sound like an ES-335, but rather something more akin to a Gibson L-4CES with a thinner body, light construction, and strong pickups. Or maybe a more articulate ES-175. It has a definite jazz sound, not like other PRS guitars and fuller than the Hollowbody series (I have owned 3 of those). One nuance I can relate is that it has the pick resistance and immediate attack we expect in an archtop, which is not the case with a semi-hollow Gibson, which tend to be softer/mushy in that aspect.

With both pickups it is pleasantly bright and chimey for other musical styles, and the bridge is seriously usable by itself, no icepicks there. Maybe you don't care, but it's a nice bonus.

Firm price of $2600 includes shipping within the U.S. Original case is provided.

2012 Paul Reed Smith JA-15-backfullstraight-jpg2012 Paul Reed Smith JA-15-frontfullstraight-jpg
    2012 Paul Reed Smith JA-15-backflame-jpg2012 Paul Reed Smith JA-15-frontfullangle-jpg
    2012 Paul Reed Smith JA-15-headfront-jpg2012 Paul Reed Smith JA-15-headback-jpg
    2012 Paul Reed Smith JA-15-fretshigh-jpg2012 Paul Reed Smith JA-15-frontclose-jpg
    Last edited by rpguitar; 01-13-2018 at 11:26 AM.
    Current favorites: '16 Gibson L-5 WesMo, '47 Gibson Super 400

Very much like these !

Great price on a wonderful instrument.

I love mine.

Good luck with the sale.

Thanks guys. Definitely a sleeper in the jazz world due to its parentage, but a fine instrument for sure.

Wish I had the extra $$ I'd be on this! If you ever decide to do any kind of trades for other gear guitars, amps, etc. let me know.

Someone should be very happy for sure!

Great price on a great guitar offered by a great seller. I bought one last year with a few dings. Not all of them have nice curly maple. This one offered by rpguitar does. Mine, a December 2012 build date, doesn't; it has a big bald spot with no curl.

The 53/10s are only now available on Private Stock guitars. Paul ran short of the new old 1959 stock enamelled wire. They are Paul's take on the original PAFs.

Versatile 15" lower bout guitar. Paul offers the JA-15 as a Private Stock now at Private Stock pricing.

Good luck with the sale, RP.
    Great Deals with Great Folks: max52 (Guild-Benedetto Artist Award); prickards (Ribbecke GC Halfling); Cincy2 (Comins Concert)

Thank you Jabs and others. I have owned several PRS (Hollowbody, CU22, CU24). All of the pickups are hot/mushy and hard to dial in for jazz, even the McCarty ones which are supposedly vintage voiced. Very high quality guitars but ultimately I didn't bond. Although I wish I still had my original Hollowbody Spruce, as it was great.

The JA-15 was developed with a jazz guy, Paul Jackson Jr., and it shows. The 53/10 pickups are warm, fat, and articulate. It's the best of the PRSi for jazz. Something about the geometry of the neck and tailpiece makes a set of roundwound 11's feel heavier, making it a versatile one-guitar option for different styles.

Anyway, as Joe V. sez, "One only, call now!"

I agree totally great seller. Bought a guitar and amp from him!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Great price on a great guitar offered by a great seller.
    Good luck with the sale, RP.

PM’d . Would love to have another after selling mine a while back.

The JA-15 is now spoken for, pending final payment. Thank you for looking.

15" Lower Bout Hollowbody Guitars

After many guitars over the years, I have come to find the 15" bout for a hollowbody guitar to be the best for myself.

For sometime it was difficult to find them. Then I found the Ibanez AG-95 some years ago and sold it. Move to a Soloway Gosling and had to sell it several years ago. Then found D'Angelico EX-SS guitar, which I love for the $$ and still have and own both a Gibson ES-275, Montreal Burst and Faded Red now.

I do prefer the longer scale length, 25" - 25.5" over the shorter Gibson scale length.
    Also with the EX-SS the rim at 1 3/4" is a bit on the thin side. The ES-275 is better at 2 1/4" but with the shorter scale length.

Then the PRS JA-15 walks into the room. 25" scale length, and almost 2 1/2" rim, all solid tone woods (Ebony, Spruce, Maple, and Mahogany), what's a guy going to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    Then the PRS JA-15 walks into the room. 25" scale length, and almost 2 1/2" rim, all solid tone woods (Ebony, Spruce, Maple, and Mahogany), what's a guy going to do?
    SCHWing!
    Great Deals with Great Folks: max52 (Guild-Benedetto Artist Award); prickards (Ribbecke GC Halfling); Cincy2 (Comins Concert)

Guitar Configuration/Design and Diversity

Something about the geometry of the neck and tailpiece makes a set of roundwound 11's feel heavier, making it a versatile one-guitar option for different styles.

I find this comment extremely interesting especially for the insight that the string gauge and the configuration/design of the guitar allows for more diversity. For the information I have found one comment that I see is the diversity of musical genres/styles that can be considered achievable with this guitar. But I didn't consider the strings/gauge and the cross-over to other musical styles.

My eyes are getting older but, a comment about rock guitarists using this guitar with gain? I believe I saw a comment about feedback and it being minimal?

Any thoughts on strings for this guitar? I was thinking La Bella 20PL Jazz Flats Stainless Steel Flatwound Electric Guitar Strings - Light0.011-0.050 Light-gauge Flatwound Jazz Guitar String Set, Stainless Steel

DR Pure Blues 12-52...

Round-core strings so don't trim the ends before putting a kink in them and bringing them up to pitch.

Congrats, Wildcat. I think you will be getting a particularly nice one.

Hey Jabber,

Thanks for the recommendation and the good wishes.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    DR Pure Blues 12-52...

Round-core strings so don't trim the ends before putting a kink in them and bringing them up to pitch.

Congrats, Wildcat. I think you will be getting a particularly nice one.

Wildcat, I'd love to hear a sound clip of the PRS once you have it set-up to your taste. I imagine it sounds as great as it looks!

The JA-15 pickups (53/10) are voiced really well, probably by design, working with Paul Jackson to give him the versatility he needed for studio work. The neck pickup is warm and smooth with an articulate top end. The mixed position is clean and funky, and the bridge is satisfyingly warm, relatively speaking, so that it sounds good with gain even though the body is made of carved, bright-toned woods. The tone control has a nice taper that adds useful variation to all of these sounds.

I'm not trying to sell the guitar as God's gift or anything... but it is definitely well thought out and executed.

About the strings... The PRS Hollowbody models that I owned had the same phenomenon. I have no idea why, but strings of a given gauge feel perhaps halfway towards the next gauge. That's why I never put 12's on the JA-15. 11's have enough tension for my taste. YMMV of course.

Subsequently, the brink of bankruptcy led me to selling her.

IMHO in a world of same old same old guitar designs, a well thought out and executed guitar design is a breath of fresh air. Of course it has taken me many years of owning guitars as a novice to come to this conclusion.
    I'm not trying to sell the guitar as God's gift or anything... but it is definitely well thought out and executed.

Also, this is why I had Jim Soloway build me one of his last guitars, function over form, extremely well thought out, and executed.
    Subsequently, the brink of bankruptcy led me to selling her.
    M365
    NGD 2013 Soloway Gosling Single 15 - M365

damn it...I thought you were posting it back for sale.

Sorry

Just showing how fine of a guitar this is!

It's not my style, but man that JA-15 is one beautiful guitar! GLWTS!
    John Coltrane has been sort of a god to me. Seems like, he didn't get the inspiration out of other musicians. He had it. - Wes Montgomery

Held up a liquor store

Made the final payment on this beauty.

So...are you ready to sell it yet?

Sure, when some one pulls it from my cold dead hands. Hey, I am prepared to do hard time for this guitar.
    Last edited by Wildcat; 03-04-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Congratulations on scoring that beauty!

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed