The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

Any of you folks have experience selling on Craigslist? I know enough to beware the scammers who say they'll pay you with a huge check and you send them the change in cash. D'uh.

But I'm not so keen on having total strangers come into my home to try out instruments. Since I'm selling some electric guitars (6-string), I can't really just meet them in the parking lot of a neutral place, as they would want and need to plug into an amp to try the guitars adequately.

So, what's been your experience, and what do you recommend? (FYI, I would offer these here on the JGO Forum - and might still do so if they don't sell locally - but I'd prefer to sell locally so I don't have to deal with packing and shipping, worry about damage in transit, etc.)

Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Meet at the nearest Guitar Center!

User Info Menu

I've met potential buyers or sellers in a hotel lobby - neutral, safe ground.

Guitar Center will let you bring in a personal guitar and play it through their amps? You have to pretend to be interested in buying an amp?

As for hotel lobby, I can't imagine one letting you plug into an amp and play in their lobby...

User Info Menu

Craigslist is nothing more than a late 20th century update to the venerable classified ads in your local newspaper.

Whatever you would have done back then, you would do that now.

As far as trying out guitars; that's really the buyer's problem, isn't it? I don't trouble myself too much with it. If s/he asks me about it, I do have a battery powered Roland Microcube that I can offer. Otherwise, it's the buyer's responsibility to facilitate the tryout. Safety first - as much as we can control it.

I've met buyers in the Guitar Center parking lot (not inside the store), and also in a hotel lobby. I met a guy who traveled by train from NYC at the commuter parking lot by the train station. I allowed this person to sit in my back seat and handle the instrument (an electric guitar).

I met someone at my workplace parking lot. I met someone in the parking lot outside of Starbucks. I have also met people outside my house, but never inside. Weather is a factor in these decisions, too.

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Craigslist is nothing more than a late 20th century update to the venerable classified ads in your local newspaper.

Whatever you would have done back then, you would do that now.
    Not really. I wasn't as cautious then as I am now. Heck, I used to hitchhike back then too, but no way I'd do that these days...

User Info Menu

My point was simply that the experience is about the same, but a different medium is used to make the initial connection. You used to telephone the seller. Now you still might call, but you'll often email instead. Other than that, the in-person meeting parameters are largely the same.

Hopefully the rest of my post contained some food for thought about how I've met sellers/buyers (mostly the latter) via CL.

User Info Menu

I just sold a Les Paul with Craigslist in my local Best Buy parking lot .... the buyer's bank has a branch office in the same parking lot so that worked out well

You may not get as much money from Craigslist, but you should have less hassle

I have a little battery powered amp, but forgot to bring it .... the buyer was happy enough with the guitar without plugging it in

I need to sell a few more of my solid bodies and get another archtop or two ... and then I'll be set

Some of my solid bodies may be a little too rich for the Craigslist shoppers so we'll see

User Info Menu

I've bought and sold guitars and other items inside a Starbucks of the buyer or seller's choosing. Lighting is good so you can play and examine the instrument closely. Oddly enough, the other patrons ignore us completely.

User Info Menu

Inside a coffee shop or a music store, I usually buy something as a token of gratitude after the transaction.

User Info Menu

I've probably done hundreds of CL transactions for everything from moving boxes to high end guitars. Countless people have been in my home and I've been in many of theirs. There have been some flakes but never a really bad experience. There are no fees, no shipping and face to face is always an easier way to do business for me.

User Info Menu

I never have them over the house, always in a public place.
    I don't need the possibility of being cased/robbed.

User Info Menu

I'm with Jim - a lot of flakes - don't answer emails, or are straight up tire kickers. Had one guy come try a guitar then say "it's really nice. I hope to have the money someday"

I've sold out of my NYC apt in the past but usually met at my offices. I've also sold at people's homes and picked up from people's homes. Never any issues. I met a future bandmate and one of my closest friends through selling on CL.

When I've sold amps, I make sure the buyer can try out the amp.

I sold my Golden Eagle from my LES apartment and I think letting the guy try the guitar out through my 67 Deluxe Reverb was the clincher. He wanted to buy my amp too!

I usually don't sell through CL unless it's a very mainstream product. The real gearheads are on specific forums.

User Info Menu

I've met buyers and sellers parking lots. I've had buyers to my house when selling amps. The biggest pain in the caboose is when a player shows up to take a peek at an amp bringing his '80/90s stadium tour sized pedal board and after 20 minutes of jamming say, "nah, too bright". Surely that could have been determined in 5 minutes without the mini concert . Since that is my worse experience, Craigslist has been pretty good. When selling an item you will of course receive the low-low-low-low ball offers by "experts on pricing". Ugh!

I always insist on a phone number to call the interested party.

I ALWAYS Google the person before I arrange and attend a meeting to better know who I am meeting. You'd be surprised how much info you can find out with a name and email address, phone number, etc...

User Info Menu

I've met at Starbucks or a parking lot as a CL buyer. My first CL listing a 'buyer' insisted on meeting at my house and also stated 'in addition to the guitar I want you to have enough cash with you in case I want a refund". I hung up and now usually use Reverb.

User Info Menu

I've bought and sold on Craigslist- and never had a problem.
    I've been in people's homes to try out amps and let people into my place to try guitars using my amp.
    For small stuff like effects pedals I usually just meet where ever it's convenient for both of us.
    Maybe I live in a safe city or maybe I'm lucky, but I've never encountered any problems.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I've probably done hundreds of CL transactions for everything from moving boxes to high end guitars. Countless people have been in my home and I've been in many of theirs. There have been some flakes but never a really bad experience.
    Me too. When we were moving I sold/gave dozens of things from furniture to electronics to fine china to tools to exercise equipment. Sometimes nailing down a time back & forth is tough, but for the most part I have met some VERY nice appreciative people. One guy who came for a floor jack even stayed and helped me take the safety cover off the in-ground pool. Impossible for myself, still quite a chore for two old guys.

However, I would never minimize anyone's concern about safety. And ALWAYS talk on the phone first. All it takes is one bad apple.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I've probably done hundreds of CL transactions for everything from moving boxes to high end guitars. Countless people have been in my home and I've been in many of theirs. There have been some flakes but never a really bad experience. There are no fees, no shipping and face to face is always an easier way to do business for me.
    Same here--I've bought and sold guitars, refrigerators, woodworking tools, and who knows what else. I've dealt with a few flakes but nothing unsavory or dangerous. Mostly great people.

I've had less luck finding people to play jazz with, however...

User Info Menu

If I'm selling on Craig's I never leave the house. Buyer's come here, especially if it's a guitar. I wouldn't feel right about using a business to conduct personal business.

I never fool with Craigs email, as for me it's a total TW - time waster! My ads say serious inquiries, phone inquiries only...I don't need the spam nor the hassle. It's via a phone call that I'm determining how serious this potential buyer is, and whether he's a flake, or someone I have to be concerned about...instincts.

As to safety, it's never been a concern of mine...between two large Boxers, and enough powder to start my own war, burglary is the last thing from my mind.

I've met really nice people on Craigs, especially the guitar buyers. I met a young 20 year old who drove 2 hours each way to buy his dream guitar...it's experiences like that that are priceless.

My first guitar purchase was an newspaper classified response to an early 70's Gibson ES175 with a CC pickup back in '90. Things haven't changed that much in 25 years. One can carry this victim and fear mentality to far, IMO. To each their own...we all have different levels of comfort and safety.

My profession was meeting 15-20 different individuals each and every day for years...so I'm comfortable meeting strangers...not everyone has that level of comfort with people they don't know...so I get it.

User Info Menu

BTW, more and more police stations are letting folks do CL transactions in their lobbies or in their monitored parking lots. You may want to check out that option if you aren't comfortable having a CL stranger into your house and would rather meet in a public place.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    So, what's been your experience, and what do you recommend? (FYI, I would offer these here on the JGO Forum - and might still do so if they don't sell locally - but I'd prefer to sell locally so I don't have to deal with packing and shipping, worry about damage in transit, etc.)

Thanks.
    Jim, another option is to list it on Reverb, but specify that it's local pickup-only. I find that any CL listing quickly drops off the front page within a day and is lost in a sea of gear within 3 days -- no one will typically see your ad unless they're actively searching for your item or one like it.

I've bought some and sold a bunch on Craigslist, and agree that the big negative is just the "knucklehead annoyance factor": people not showing up at appointed times, showing up and wanting, for example, to replace all the tubes in one's beautiful amp with their own, etc.

I've also found it better for more commonplace or lesser expensive items (e.g., speakers, small common amps). My Schaefer 16 archtop sat on a number of local CL lists for 6 months without a single response (and to be fair, it still took 5 mos. on Reverb).

I've also let a bunch of folks into my house (and, conversely, been in a bunch of other folks' houses), but usually only after having a friendly conversation with them. They're probably as concerned about going to your house (armed with a wad of cash) as you are of having them. Talking gear on the phone breaks the ice and gives you a pretty good idea if they're serious. Like others, I've met some really nice people, and only a few jerks.

The best cure for GAS is having to sell stuff. It's almost always painful.
    Last edited by bmw2002; 11-30-2015 at 08:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    If I'm selling on Craig's I never leave the house. Buyer's come here, especially if it's a guitar. I wouldn't feel right about using a business to conduct personal business.

I never fool with Craigs email, as for me it's a total TW - time waster! My ads say serious inquiries, phone inquiries only...I don't need the spam nor the hassle. It's via a phone call that I'm determining how serious this potential buyer is, and whether he's a flake, or someone I have to be concerned about...instincts.

As to safety, it's never been a concern of mine...between two large Boxers, and enough powder to start my own war, burglary is the last thing from my mind.

I've met really nice people on Craigs, especially the guitar buyers. I met a young 20 year old who drove 2 hours each way to buy his dream guitar...it's experiences like that that are priceless.

My first guitar purchase was an newspaper classified response to an early 70's Gibson ES175 with a CC pickup back in '90. Things haven't changed that much in 25 years. One can carry this victim and fear mentality to far, IMO. To each their own...we all have different levels of comfort and safety.

My profession was meeting 15-20 different individuals each and every day for years...so I'm comfortable meeting strangers...not everyone has that level of comfort with people they don't know...so I get it.
    Bolivian marching powder..??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarbean25
    Bolivian marching powder..??
    He's a Boxer.

User Info Menu

I have a little solid state amp and a 1000 watt inverter I leave in my trunk more than enough power to run the amp. I'll sell only locally and meet in a restaurant, guitar center or supermarket parking lot. No problems so far.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Meet at the nearest Guitar Center!
    I've done this and it's the perfect place. They (Guitar Center) were very nice about it and gave us a private room with an amp.

Regarding CL, I've never sold a single good instrument on CL. In fact, I'd say the most difficult potential buyers were from CL. I don't bother with them any more for good quality stuff.

My favorite online classified is the one on this site and the one on mandolincafe. Shipping has its challenges but opens up your potential buying audience tremendously. Boxing and shipping is a small hassle but easily mastered. Ebay is a last resort but everything eventually sells there.
    Last edited by 40bpm; 12-01-2015 at 03:28 AM. Reason: add info