The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 186

User Info Menu

Good point. Fortunately, I tend to trust the staff at Reverb.com more than I would their competitors to do the right thing should problems arise.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sold my Johnny A on Reverb.com on Thursday. Guy paid via PayPal. Then I sent him an email to finalize shipping details. Never heard back from him. So I called Reverb.com to see whats going on. They said they contact the buyer. Well I got an email from Reverb saying the buyer changed their mind and wanted a refund. Gave me a link to refund and 6000 free bumps for my trouble.

I am not happy at all. Going to call them today. My sale clearly states no returns.

Almost 12 on Ebay. Never had this happen. Say what you want about Ebay but this is extremely troubling to me.

What these people dont know is that I took down the listing at other places. So theres more work for me.

Seems like a bunch of people that dont understand business practices.

Iam going to tell that I was planning to shipping Monday. The buyer bougth it and now its his to sell.

Plus who is going to pay back my PayPal charges?.

User Info Menu

I would just contact the guy, tell him you're deducting PayPal's pound of flesh and move on with life.

User Info Menu

Get over it. That’s business. Reverb is far more fair than eBay to the seller and I say that based on a lot of experience.

Also, when you send a PayPal refund all of the PayPal fees are refunded to you. You won’t be out more than a little of your time and some frustration.

User Info Menu

Thats the problem. I contacted the multiple times and he has not respond to any attempts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    I would just contact the guy, tell him you're deducting PayPal's pound of flesh and move on with life.
    I agree with DRS... makes you really think twice about using Reverb.

In October I bought a 1957 ES175 nt with 2 P90s and a Bigsby. Paid immediately. The seller had a vacation to Arlington Guitar Show planned and delayed shipping and then promised to ship as soon as he got back. Well when he got back he cancelled the sale and refunded my money... I called Reverb and they told me the seller can do that and there's nothing they can do about it. My reaction was the same:

I bought the guitar, paid and now the deal is off ?? WTF... Why I like eBay is when there is a deal done it is a binding contract, it's a lot harder to wiggle out of a deal. With Reverb they're like "so, he backed out, accept it".
    That's not how I like doing business...

Sorry for your aggravation, Reverb has some decent deals up but their policies and no enforcement of closed/paid deals really blows.

Big

User Info Menu

The simple truth is that when it comes down to it ebay can’t enforce a deal any more than Reverb. Reverb is just more honest about it.

User Info Menu

This kind of stuff can make you get frustrated.
    But, you kind of have to understand that people make mistakes. Maybe the person really wanted it and then something else happened. It’s really not Reverbs fault. It’s the buyers fault. But he made a mistake. Let him off the hook. It sucks when you force a person to buy a guitar that he really doesn’t want or can’t afford.
    Come on Wildcat. I know you. You are a good dude. You are better than that.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

I've bought several things through Reverb. Smooth easy transactions. Seems to depend on the individual sellers and buyers...

User Info Menu

Another reason not to buy too many guitars. Downsizing can be a challenge. I've been lucky so far on Reverb knock wood. I bet there are scams and cheats going on with results worse than this for sure. As long as you get a refund and you never shipped the guitar it's an inconvenience. Imagine shipping a guitar, the buyer having it a while then pulling a pay pal fast move requesting a refund (pretty sure they can) then returning the guitar damaged. Have heard some horror stories, Paypal sides with the buyer I believe.

User Info Menu

I firmly believe that a deal is a deal, and a man's word is his bond.

I know someone who made a purchase of a semi-hollow on his iPad while in the recovery room and loopy. He sent me an "incoming" notice and was happy. I pointed out that guitar was left handed. Oops!

He contacted the eBay seller immediately and the seller graciously relisted it.

User Info Menu

If the guitar never left your home (and you are fully refunded of commissions etc), it is best to let go of the matter IMHO. It also sounds like more of a buyer thing than a Reverb thing. It may not have been your personal preferred outcome, but you have lost nothing and it is the higher road as they say. Something may have happened in the buyer's life that caused the sentiment change.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Honestly, I don't disagree Joe. But between dealing with buyers remorse and needed the money for the holidays, I am more upset than I usally would be.
    i hear you bro.
    And I am not at all agreeing with the waffling buyer. Not one bit. It’s easy for me to be understanding because I don’t have a stake in this.
    The longer I live, the more I realize.. the right thing is going to happen. And it already did. You didn’t ship it yet. And you don’t have to deal with a bad buyer anymore. That’s all.
    Someone else is going to buy the guitar. And be really happy with it to.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Sold my Johnny A on Reverb.com on Thursday. Guy paid via PayPal. Then I sent him an email to finalize shipping details. Never heard back from him. So I called Reverb.com to see whats going on. They said they contact the buyer. Well I got an email from Reverb saying the buyer changed their mind and wanted a refund. Gave me a link to refund and 6000 free bumps for my trouble.

I am not happy at all. Going to call them today. My sale clearly states no returns.
    Since he never received it, he is not returning it. He is canceling the purchase. Hate to split hairs there but that is what it is. "All sales are final" might be more effective language if you don't want to deal with cancellations.

User Info Menu

I have had the same experience on Ebay. And don't get me started about all of the flakes and scammers than Craigslist has produced.

Buying and selling guitars comes with risks and dissapointments.

User Info Menu

I would just take a satisfaction from leaving a worst review possible for this buyer. That's all you can do really. But that would be enough for me to move on and forget about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Since he never received it, he is not returning it. He is canceling the purchase. Hate to split hairs there but that is what it is. "All sales are final" might be more effective language if you don't want to deal with cancellations.
    The is where the line gets fuzzy because the guitar was never delivered so the sale was never final, in a general sense it was just a canceled order. IMO until in the buyers pay the sale is not complete. In fact doesn't Reverb policy give buyer X amount of days to pay, so the sale is in limbo until payment is made. Yes, it sucks for the seller they set their expectations and things didn't happen, best not to set expectations until cash is in hand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I would just take a satisfaction from leaving a worst review possible for this buyer. That's all you can do really. But that would be enough for me to move on and forget about it.
    Remember, reviews go both ways.

User Info Menu

Cut your losses. Refund the money through paypal and end your relationship with the bad buyer as quickly and as amicably as possible. If you refund through PayPal then you'll get all of the fees back except for a $0.30 or $0.35 processing fee. BTDT many times.

The good news is that the deal went sideways BEFORE you shipped the guitar. Consider yourself lucky.

What many people don't understand is that if you read the fine print of the PayPal contract, the buyer has 6 MONTHS to force a return on you, irrespective of your No Returns policy. Sellers can be screwed this way quite easily.

Take the 30-cent loss, give the buyer positive feedback, and move on as fast as you can. You want that buyer out of your life ASAP and 30-cents and a positive feedback rating is a small price to pay to get rid of him.

User Info Menu

" the buyer has 6 MONTHS to force a return on you"

yeah and some jackasses like to 'borrow' stuff this way. unbelievable

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Remember, reviews go both ways.
    Sure but if that buyer gives you a bad review im sure it could be challenged and taken down. Because any negative feedback for the seller will be fabricated lies. At least based on facts presented here.

User Info Menu

I certainly wouldn’t count on it, certainly not on eBay at least. The only negative feedback I’ve ever gotten on eBay was acknowledge as bogus by eBay, and eBay said it would be removed, more than once. It never was. It takes a full year for it to disappear in eBay land. At this point at least, they never go away on Reverb. It’s better just to say nothing, IMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    In October I bought a 1957 ES175 nt with 2 P90s and a Bigsby. Paid immediately. The seller had a vacation to Arlington Guitar Show planned and delayed shipping and then promised to ship as soon as he got back. Well when he got back he cancelled the sale and refunded my money... I called Reverb and they told me the seller can do that and there's nothing they can do about it. My reaction was the same:
    Mike, reading between the lines it sounds like your guy played both sides of the fence to sell the guitar for the most money he could get for it, not caring to honor the commitment he had to you -- he had you in his back pocket, but he took the guitar to Arlington to see if he could get a better price on it there, and he did, so he screwed you.

I don't think you have much power in a situation like this, other than to tell everyone who the seller was so that others know to beware in dealing with him.

User Info Menu

Sure but if that buyer gives you a bad review im sure it could be challenged and taken down. Because any negative feedback for the seller will be fabricated lies. At least based on facts presented here.
    Positive feedback? What the hell for? It will mislead others to think the buyer is no nonsense. Why would you wanna do that?
    If you have to ask, you'll never know.

It's unfortunate that there's a disconnect between the way that the world should work and the way that it actually does work.

I'm a power seller on the bay, with 18 years of 100% positive feedback, and I've dealt with my share of bad buyers. Suffice it to say that if you get bad feedback related to a transaction that went bad, you're not going to have much luck challenging it and having it taken down. The only way that will happen is if you've successfully prevailed in a protested transaction where the case reviewer decided in your favor. In that scenario all feedback is automatically purged. Anything less and the customer's comments will be left standing and you're stuck with them with no route of appeal. It's naive to think that you can challenge feedback and have it taken down based upon the presentation of "facts." Compulsory feedback revision is a very uncommon event at ebay. If you haven't prevailed in a "case" and you want feedback revision to occur, then your only choice is to ask the buyer to voluntarily initiate a feedback revision event. For that to happen you have to be on excellent terms with the customer as they have total discretion on whether to help you or screw you by ruining your unblemished record. This gives the buyer an incredible amount of leverage over the seller. I have maintained 100% positive feedback for 18 years. If you run a store in the headstrong fashion that you suggest then you're going to have to deal with the harsh reality that that is a bad business model. Pissing people off by being headstrong is bad for business. Protecting your reputation is a paramount concern. You'll catch more bees with honey.

That's the way it works on ebay. If I had a reverb store I'd run it the same way.

User Info Menu

That's very unfortunate for the OP. I've actually stopped buying and selling on eBay and only use Reverb.com. I've bought and sold a couple of dozen items on each over the past couple of years. I find the clientele on Reverb to be much more knowledgable and professional. The couple of issues I've had that required Reverb's customer service went pretty smoothly.

I've wondered as well about the connection between Reverb.com and CME as well. The CME website says they're right next door to each other. When you purchase an item from CME you always get Reverb.com promotional material, and it certainly seems like they share marketing and design people since their colors and general look are the same.