The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 55 of 55

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Some consumer NAS use ZFS but most do not. For example, Asustor uses FAT32 for storage shared by Mac & Windows computers, NTFS for Windows, and HFS+ (an Apple creation) for exclusive use by MacOS devices.
    I didn't mean you *see* the ZFS filesystem, though I've never tried any of these myself. ZFS has the nice trick that you can create vdevs on it, which you can then format with whatever FS the host OS supports. The one running the NAS device of course, AFAIK a NAS is always "network share" (or collection thereof) in a standalone box. So that vdev could even be formated with HFS+ or APFS (although I've yet to see a full-enough features implementation by anyone other than Apple). And of course if you see an MSWin-style share (Samba) that doesn't say a thing about the underlying filesystem: my Apple TimeCapsule can serve the same partition with either AFS ("shared HFS") or Samba. And my shares on my main Linux (which uses ZFS) can be mounted via AFS or NFS.

A very knowledgeable friend has been unable to get his Focusrite 8i6 to work with FreeBSD. He also reports being unable to get Ardour or Jack to work with BSD.
    That's good to know. I already lost a few hours trying to get Jack to do something on the (silent) tablet PC Is use for recording, under Devuan. It runs but "just doesn't work (TM)" even if I kill PulseAudio. Turns out Audacity will happily connect to anything via ALSA if Pulse isn't running so I don't need a sound server after all (just as I expected O:-) ). That tablet is way too underpowered for any serious other use plus it doesn't even charge when running so whatever post-processing I need to do happens on another machine.

FWIW, I asked about *BSD (thinking mostly FreeBSD) because OS X is a BSD too and it feels kinda right to remain at least in that universe when I leave the Mac one for good. Plus, no need to set up a "root on ZFS" and it has an aura of stability (in the sense of not spending my time keeping the system up-to-date, which I appear to hate).

Oh well, back to the regular programme

(BTW, there's a good ZFS implementation for Mac, and I even found one for MSWin that actually works, some time ago.)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Another option is a bluetooth device that can be use as either a receiver or transmitter. Set as a receiver, it can be connected to any amp at all, making it a wireless system, or as a transmitter to connect to an already wireless speaker set. These can be had with the latest bluetooth features for very little money.
    See post #25 -

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I'm currently using 4 BT transceivers that have both LL and HD codecs. The little square ones were $20 each, and the bigger ones with double antennae were $35. All of them are switchable from transmit to receive, all have optical and analog outputs, and all work great with any Linux distro I've tried (which is about 15 of them - I also wrote a review of Linux for audio on audiophilestyle.com within the last 3 years). The little ones work as well and sound as good as the big ones in our home.

I tested a bunch of these for an article I wrote on wireless audio, and these worked great throughout a 2000 square foot apartment in which there was no line of sight between any two of them. I run the optical outs from the transceivers into active Edifier 1280DBs because the speakers do not have the latest codecs. And when BT 29 comes along, as you predict, I'll buy a new BT adaptor. You only need one receiver because the signal is stereo and each pair of active speakers only has one input.

Great speakers for computer?-bt_transceivers-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    50 year old turntable technology - a pair of B&O turntables
    60 year old speaker technology - pair of Klipsh La Scalas
    90 year old amplifier technology - four chassis (14 tubes)

Not understanding any of this interesting thread, priceless!

Attachment 101731
    Umm.. yea.. might be time for a new camera as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Umm.. yea.. might be time for a new camera as well.
    …or at least some fresh film

Old is fine as far as it goes - assuming excellent maintenance and optimum setup. I recently sold the Rogers LS3/5as that I bought new in 1975. They’re still fabulous speakers, but I only have one tube amp left for audio and am very happy with modern powered speakers for my smaller systems.

I use the Prima Luna that replaced my old McIntosh 275 over a decade ago in my main system. It has much tighter bass, more articulate mids and smoother but more extended highs than that Mac or any other amp I’ve had. This includes Marantz 8b, HK Citation 2, many highly modded Dynas, and every Mac from pairs of 40s & 75s to MC240 and that 275. I can roll tubes without adjustment - it has KT88s right now, and I’ve used EL34s, 6550s, and 6L6s but prefer the overall sound quality of the KT88s.

TT is the Thorens TD125 I bought in 1969 with an SME3009 fixed shell arm. But the preamp is a Parasound - I sold the Mac MX110, the Marantz 7c, and the Apt Holman years ago.

And yet I listen to music most often through my JBL 305s using Roon to play my lossless files. The 21st century’s a pretty cool place to live, and overall I like it just as much as my half of the 20th (and a lot more in many ways).

User Info Menu

Old can work. I'm still using my Bose 901s from the '70s. I still slightly regret that I let my wife sell my Pioneer receiver and cassette deck from the same era in a church garage sale. I also have some Fisher speakers from 1970, that are in use as stands for the 901s. I gave them to my mother when I bought the Bose, and when we cleaned out her house for sale after she passed I reclaimed them. Had to recone the woofers, but that wasn't hard nor expensive.