The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I thought some of you would like to see my vintage ~1989 SE/30 I have kept in my day job office. ~34 y/o. I have it there for the windows people and "youngsters" who visit who are completely amazed that is is still perfectly functional. (Not meant to start a platform war, just explaining.) As I am retiring this month from my .edu employment, I am debating whether or not to sell it or display it in my small home studio, if I can find the room. BW wants it gone.

Sorta OT: Old Mac-mac_se-30-jpg

ps - Reminds me of the time I was giving a small group of new college students a little private tour of the facility, and one said, "Wow, is that a VHS Drive?"
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 04-05-2023 at 07:18 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I thought some of you would like to see my vintage ~1989 SE/30 I have kept in my day job office. ~34 y/o. I have it there for the windows people and "youngsters" who visit who are completely amazed that is is still perfectly functional. (Not meant to start a platform war, just explaining.) As I am retiring this month from my .edu employment, I am debating whether or not to sell it or display it in my small home studio, if I can find the room. BW wants it gone.

Sorta OT: Old Mac-mac_se-30-jpg

ps - Reminds me of the time I was giving a small group of new college students a little private tour of the facility, and one said, "Wow, is that a VHS Drive?"
    Hi!
    A vintage Macintosh SE/30 in perfect conditions can be sold for 500 - 700 USD, maybe more. This geat machine can be "a sort of" investiment since the price will raise with time.
    But there is a problem: often the internal capacitors stop to work suddenly and of course can be difficult/expensive to repair the unit.
    An advice could be DO NOT leave the SE/30 unpowered for a long time.......use it once in a month and "probably" the capacitors will last for some more time.....
    This is what I do with a 1984 Macintosh 512k which belongs to a friend of mine.

Ettore

User Info Menu

I have to confirm that; I had a Mac IIx in the early 90s and it died when I had to move offices and thus turn it off. Something related to the "active" power on circuit. Must have been a simple component that blew but since it was integrated on the motherboard the repair consisted of swapping in a new one (which cost almost as much as a new computer).