The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Quick question regarding Band-in-a-Box: are there existing tunes that you can load into it, complete with lead melodies, etc. Here's why I'm asking: I'm in this big band, new experience, loving it, but I'm definitely not as good as everyone else in there and I need to practice more. I want to play along with the tunes that we're doing in such a way that I can get used to what the other guys are doing - the horns, bass, drums, etc. For example, we're doing "Dimensions in Blue" and I've got the charts and doing alright with it, etc., but I'd love to be able to practice it with all the other stuff going on. Since I've got the chart for the whole band, I could punch the thing in myself, but of course, I'd rather not do that (time consuming). Any input appreciated, thanks all.

Tom

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There's a very active BIAB forum hosted by PG Music, maker of the software. You would do well to post there.

User Info Menu

I don't understand.
    Do you want to practice arrangements of big band with the BiaB software?
    Last edited by kris; 03-23-2023 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I don't understand.
    Do you want to practice arrangements of big band with the BB software?
    I guess I could have just said that . Yes, that's exactly what I'm thinking I want to do. I sit down, load up the tune, and it's roughly what I would be hearing with the actual band. I could loop certain parts, mute certain instruments, etc., etc. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TPMCD
    Quick question regarding Band-in-a-Box: are there existing tunes that you can load into it, complete with lead melodies, etc. Here's why I'm asking: I'm in this big band, new experience, loving it, but I'm definitely not as good as everyone else in there and I need to practice more. I want to play along with the tunes that we're doing in such a way that I can get used to what the other guys are doing - the horns, bass, drums, etc. For example, we're doing "Dimensions in Blue" and I've got the charts and doing alright with it, etc., but I'd love to be able to practice it with all the other stuff going on. Since I've got the chart for the whole band, I could punch the thing in myself, but of course, I'd rather not do that (time consuming). Any input appreciated, thanks all.

Tom
    Yes - there's a file floating around with something like 14K tunes called "BIAB Songs". I have it but not sure how I'd get a file that big to you. Anyone know of a way to e-mail huge files? I'll check in the morning and see how big it actually is. It's got about every tune you'd ever want and you can change styles and re-save your own versions of them.

User Info Menu

I guess I could have just said that . Yes, that's exactly what I'm thinking I want to do. I sit down, load up the tune, and it's roughly what I would be hearing with the actual band. I could loop certain parts, mute certain instruments, etc., etc. Thanks.
    You can't do that with BiaB.
    BB generates own arrangements.
    This is an automatic.
    You'd have to have a DAW and save arrange tracks exactly as in big-band.
    If in big-band someone arranged the songs and used a computer and appropriate software, may have files of these arrangements.
    I don't know if he would give it to you, and besides, you'd have to have the same computer software as the arranger....f.ex.Sibelius.
    Best
    Kris
    Last edited by kris; 03-23-2023 at 11:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    Yes - there's a file floating around with something like 14K tunes called "BIAB Songs". I have it but not sure how I'd get a file that big to you. Anyone know of a way to e-mail huge files? I'll check in the morning and see how big it actually is. It's got about every tune you'd ever want and you can change styles and re-save your own versions of them.
    That's probably not the point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    Anyone know of a way to e-mail huge files?
    Create a free account at dropbox.com and post it there. Then give the URL to whomever needs to download it.

Did some further digging on this...it seems that with some of the packages ("UltraPAK+", etc.) you get a Fakebook songs in MIDI, which I assume would include the melody of the song? Maybe not, maybe just the chords. In any event, thanks for the input.

Tom

User Info Menu

Here is the link to a large number of BIAB projects - Welcome to Minor9!

As kris said, BIAB will create its own arrangements, that's the whole point of the software. In case of the jazz standards which can be downloaded using the link above, somebody entered the melody via MIDI, but all other instruments are - by default - generated by BIAB using the relevant/selected style...

Thanks for the link and thanks for the info on this, I'm clear now on what I'd be getting with BB. Think I'll just stick with playing along with a recorded version of the tune, etc. Thanks all for the input.

Tom

User Info Menu

Thanks for the link and thanks for the info on this, I'm clear now on what I'd be getting with BB. Think I'll just stick with playing along with a recorded version of the tune, etc. Thanks all for the input.

Tom
    You may find a lot of recorded versions of the most popular BB arrangements on YouTube. In some cases you can find on yt the official play along version issued by the puplisher, e.g. Hal Leonhard or Alfred Music. That's the way I practice new tunes for BB. Looking for a proper yt clip of the same arrangement and play along with it. I created a playlist for myself to avoid searching each time again for a song.

User Info Menu

BB- Band in the Box
    BB-Big Band

These are different things.

User Info Menu

BB- Band in the Box
    BB-Big Band

These are different things.
    BIAB = Band in a Box (not "the Box")
    BB = Bigband

User Info Menu

BIAB is a great tool for learning songs. You can slow down the tempo, change the key and style easily. Certain parts can be repeated over and over again (highlight the section in the play menu and press F10). Works great if you want to improvise your solo over a section of the song.
    Another (better) way is to record the whole band in a video or sound clip...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote61
    BIAB = Band in a Box (not "the Box")
    BB = Bigband
    BiaB = Band in a Box
    BB= Big Band

You may find a lot of recorded versions of the most popular BB arrangements on YouTube. In ksome cases you can find on yt the official play along version issued by the puplisher, e.g. Hal Leonhard or Alfred Music. That's the way I practice new tunes for BB. Looking for a proper yt clip of the same arrangement and play along with it. I created a playlist for myself to avoid searching each time again for a song.
    Hey this is a great idea, I'll check it out! Do they post the entire song? Thanks.

Tom

User Info Menu

Rich Severson has2 or 3 packages of biab files. One is Swing,another islatin jazz and one more that I forget right now.

User Info Menu

Yes...I used my private shortcut in a hurry.
    sorry

User Info Menu

You may find the songs, but I doubt the arrangement would be the same. It would probably be best if you entered the chord changes in from the arrangement they're using.

User Info Menu

Hey this is a great idea, I'll check it out! Do they post the entire song? Thanks.

Tom
    If the video was issued as a private video by a bigband, of course the entire song is in the video.
    If the video was issued by the publisher of the arrangement, in most cases it is the entire song. Few issues are only a teaser of approx. 2 minutes or so.

E.g. you mentioned in your first post the song 'Dimensions in Blue'. If you are looking in yt for a video with the original Nestico arrangement you can find a video from the SWR Bigband, a high level pro Bigband run by a german public broadcasting.

If the video was issued as a private video by a bigband, of course the entire song is in the video.
    If the video was issued by the publisher of the arrangement, in most cases it is the entire song. Few issues are only a teaser of approx. 2 minutes or so.

E.g. you mentioned in your first post the song 'Dimensions in Blue'. If you are looking in yt for a video with the original Nestico arrangement you can find a video from the SWR Bigband, a high level pro Bigband run by a german public broadcasting.

Thanks for sharing this, that was a great performance, and pretty much the same as our big band arrangement. I think practicing along with something like this might be good enough for now for me. Thanks again.

Tom

User Info Menu

You can also search for CDs from Big Bands.
    To get to know the Big Band repertoire.
    I played in three Big Bands.
    There were a lot of rehearsals.
    All sections rehearsed separately and then there were rehearsals of the whole Big Band.
    You can learn a lot.

You can also search for CDs from Big Bands.
    To get to know the Big Band repertoire.
    I played in three Big Bands.
    There were a lot of rehearsals.
    All sections rehearsed separately and then there were rehearsals of the whole Big Band.
    You can learn a lot.
    Thanks Kris! Yep, going to do just that!

Tom