The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here's another experiment with using a Blue Snowball Mic to capture sound while recording an iPhone video. This time I used my Roland micro cube. As with the previous one, the backing track is playing back through a JBL Flip powered speaker (via Bluetooth from an Amazon Fire tablet)

Here are two pictures. In the first, you can see the amp, speaker, mic, and phone. The second shows how I actually record, with a stack of pillows behind the mic to keep it from picking up to much room sound and the guitar's acoustic sound. This archtop (Seventy Seven Hawk Jazz Deep) is quite loud and there winds up being too much of it in the mix if I don't do this.

The volume on the speaker are both pretty low - low enough not to bother people in the next room or distort the audio, something I've had trouble with using my bigger amps. This is the closest I've gotten so far to capturing how it sounds in the room.

More iPhone + Snowball-img_20230304_200557-jpg
    setupMore iPhone + Snowball-img_20230304_200632-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cool, operation stacked pillows a success!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Cool, operation stacked pillows a success!
    I do all kinds of wacky stuff to try to improve the acoustics when I record. You should see me singing into the clothes hanging in my closet.