The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hey,

I thought that the world is still missing one metronome. So, here is a brand new one:

Dropout Metronome

I crammed as many functions as possible into it.
    It is still being developed - the upper button's functions won't work yet(create wave, save, etc).

edit: the upper buttons work. But if you've tried to save the setup in the browser, being trying this out, there's an issue. I will explain later.

edit2: if you tried to save and overwrite an existing preset with the same name. the issue is, it might have saved the thing with the same name. so you can have multiple presets with the same name - awful. (chromium based browsers)
    to clean up: press f12. click "application". select local storage, file:///. if you see the the same name on the "key" column more than once, just click on it, delete it. so it wouldn't be a problem.
    Might aswell as delete them all along with the "presetNamesList".
    ***oh, you need to launch the app on the noodid.ee site, then do that.***

edit3: the darn thing is that it's still not ready and needs all kinds of fixing. so those saved presets are not really... worth keeping at this moment.

edit4: still struggling with timing. already got the hint that it can be rock solid even on ancient computers.. but it's difficult to figure out and do it properly.

edit5:dont wanna brag or even jinx it, but it seems the timing is solid now even with slow computers (I have some intel g4560 or somesuch).. final bug hunt tomorrow.

edit 6: it is finished. the swarm of bugs have been crushed. it is what it is. in future, the mobile-friendly version might pop up. but a bug fix or two would happen now and then. not very often.

If you have any recommendations or bugs to report, please do!
    It would be much more difficult to add them later.

E.
    Last edited by emanresu; 04-08-2023 at 05:09 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Hey. It's almost done. But a bit of help needed if you can spare a minute...
    Try it out, push the tempo to max and see if it it works without hiccups or wobble.
    If it acts weird, please post about it. Or PM me.

Thanks.

Oh, it doesn't work in Safari I think.

User Info Menu

That's cool, LOVE the dropout feature, that's fun

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    ... Oh, it doesn't work in Safari I think.
    Many thanks - we can't have too many metronomes in the world (There are a at least a dozen in this house.)

The dropout and wobble features are particularly welcome!

Also it seems to be ok on Mac Monterey/Safari 16.2

All the best
    Mick W

User Info Menu

Thanks E - I think it's v good. After far too many years avoiding reading, I'm finally learning the dots. A good metronome has become an essential bit of kit for me.

Constructive feedback from me:
    - Any chance you could have a spoken "and" sound choice in there along with the spoken numbers? It's the One-and, Two-and, Three-and, Four-and that catches me out when I'm trying to read the dots.

- a woodblock or gentle click might be popular along with all the other tones you've got in there.

- Interface is v small if using a mobile phone (I have an Android phone) but I guess you've designed for PC.

- 100% swing is far too swung! Could you put swing on a slider with a recommended sweet spot perhaps?

Hope you can take that all positively, it's certainly meant well. I'm genuinely impressed with anyone able to code and create anything that good.

Thanks for sharing and good luck with the build, maybe Ill be able to get it from the Play Store one day!

Best wishes, Simon, Norfolk, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Simon1234
    Thanks for sharing and good luck with the build, maybe Ill be able to get it from the Play Store one day!
    Just a quick reply for this. it will be downloadable from that same place as it is. It is just a web page with javascript - not a standalone app.
    The other recommendations, thanks. I'll check them out in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon1234
    Constructive feedback from me:
    - Any chance you could have a spoken "and" sound choice in there along with the spoken numbers? It's the One-and, Two-and, Three-and, Four-and that catches me out when I'm trying to read the dots.

- a woodblock or gentle click might be popular along with all the other tones you've got in there.

- Interface is v small if using a mobile phone (I have an Android phone) but I guess you've designed for PC.

- 100% swing is far too swung! Could you put swing on a slider with a recommended sweet spot perhaps?

I put the option of "and" there. Is it ok? Are the woodblocks ok? One of them is synthesized... should call it bubble-pop instead.

About swing slider - it's there for finetuning by taste. But there is a button with sweetspots "soft","triplet" and "hard"

About making the interface more phone-friendly... yes. But that takes a month of thinking. Not gonna happen fast but I'll address this.

Thank you!

edit: "and" has a problem. gonna change it.

A fun vid
    Last edited by emanresu; 04-02-2023 at 04:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Fantastic! You made the changes! I really wasn't expecting that.

I've just had a play with it and it's great. I took a screen recording but JJG won't let me upload an MP4 file type.

Anyway, my fave settings:
    60 BPM, soft swung (+50%)

Track 1 low vol: Bongo on beat 1, woodblock on beats 2, 3 and 4.

Track 2 medium vol: "one and two and..." spoken word.

Very clever, and very useful. Congratulations on creating such a fab bit of kit.

Thank you!!!

Ok. Added downloadable zip there.
    It's finished.
    Of course there might be bugs but nothing catasrophic anymore..
    edit: ctrl+r to refresh skipping browser's cache.

Back to practice finally,
    Cheers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    Hey,

I thought that the world is still missing one metronome. So, here is a brand new one:

Dropout Metronome

I crammed as many functions as possible into it.
    It is still being developed - the upper button's functions won't work yet(create wave, save, etc).

edit: the upper buttons work. But if you've tried to save the setup in the browser, being trying this out, there's an issue. I will explain later.

edit2: if you tried to save and overwrite an existing preset with the same name. the issue is, it might have saved the thing with the same name. so you can have multiple presets with the same name - awful. (chromium based browsers)
    to clean up: press f12. click "application". select local storage, file:///. if you see the the same name on the "key" column more than once, just click on it, delete it. so it wouldn't be a problem.
    Might aswell as delete them all along with the "presetNamesList".
    ***oh, you need to launch the app on the noodid.ee site, then do that.***

edit3: the darn thing is that it's still not ready and needs all kinds of fixing. so those saved presets are not really... worth keeping at this moment.

edit4: still struggling with timing. already got the hint that it can be rock solid even on ancient computers.. but it's difficult to figure out and do it properly.

edit5:dont wanna brag or even jinx it, but it seems the timing is solid now even with slow computers (I have some intel g4560 or somesuch).. final bug hunt tomorrow.

If you have any recommendations or bugs to report, please do!
    It would be much more difficult to add them later.

E.
    Great! I've been wanting the ability to control the sound of each beat. Helps nail odd meters. Your interface is so simple and intuitive I had it going in well under a minute after loading the app for the first time. Thanks!

Maybe I should write a red warning there in the info.

When mixed instruments are in a metronome-type app, there is this huge problem - the instruments(or spoken words) have their "accents" on different times.
    I tried to do my best for the instruments to at least start at the correct point in time, but it is futile. I gave up trying to make them under 1ms accurate.. by ear. Not possible - it's all about feelings...
    So when you mix instruments, there is the "nudge" option. Probably the most important of them all.
    All the clicks and clacks are fine. But a bit more melodic ones - it takes some nudging.

I upgraded it a bit. Now the swing has a visual representation. Also you can stop it quickly when clicking "stop" twice.
    Some bug fixes too.

It is summer break, so I have some more free time to add things to it if needed.

edit: and of course, right after posting this, I discovered a nasty bug about said swing facelift. that's.. bah. happens every day.

edit2: can't fix it right now. will work on it in next week. suggestions for improvements are very welcome.
    Last edited by emanresu; 06-24-2023 at 02:04 PM.

I added a drumset from a friend and improved it in small ways.