The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Curious for input on sound quality, I’m totally new to this kind of recording. Usually, I am just record on iPhone and go with it. This is on a Mac, logic studio, pro apogee element 46. its only 40 seconds of improv, 2 mics, one panned left -35 and other panned R +35 with LineOut in center. Mics are SM57 R and Royer R 121 L

Stream 16_February_2023_Sample.m4a by NSingh | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am on an iPad, so take it with a grain of salt. Nothing sounds obviously bad, but this isn't perhaps the typical way you would pan these mics. Typically you blend a 57 and a ribbon to create one sound. You could then mix it to taste with the di. If you wanted to keep your current panning, I would probably go with the ribbon mic in the middle, as it likely has the most low frequency content. Then pan the others, and put a stereo reverb on panned left and right.

Hope that helps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    I am on an iPad, so take it with a grain of salt. Nothing sounds obviously bad, but this isn't perhaps the typical way you would pan these mics. Typically you blend a 57 and a ribbon to create one sound. You could then mix it to taste with the di. If you wanted to keep your current panning, I would probably go with the ribbon mic in the middle, as it likely has the most low frequency content. Then pan the others, and put a stereo reverb on panned left and right.

Hope that helps.
    Thank you. It does, I appreciate it. If you blend the 57 and ribbon, does that mean both are dead center?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Thank you. It does, I appreciate it. If you blend the 57 and ribbon, does that mean both are dead center?
    Yes, you blend with level not pan..but, anything goes, it's your "sound "

Lots of instructional videos on R121 + sm 57 and suggestions on royer's site.Also be wary of phase between all the sources (all should be time aligned)

S

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SOLR
    Yes, you blend with level not pan..but, anything goes, it's your "sound "

Lots of instructional videos on R121 + sm 57 and suggestions on royer's site.Also be wary of phase between all the sources (all should be time aligned)

S
    There's also some polarity reversal in play (one mic is reversed ) to get the "fuller" sound, the 57 should sit in the null of the figure 8 royer....you can use a special bracket for that or make your own or do it by ear/eye....

S

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Well, aside from your particular example here. Generally, you would blend the volumes together, and they would be panned the same.

That doesn't mean it's what you have to do. I only suggested putting the Royer in the middle, as we generally want the bass instruments/sounds mixed in the center. I would guess the ribbon had the most bass of the 3. You could then pan the others to get as much width as you like.