The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I got a blue snowball mic like John A had recommended and I have an iphone 12. So far I do not have an adapter cable to use with iphone. I am concerned the power drain by the blue snowball may not power up the mic. Does anyone know if it will. If not I have to get a power hub adapter to run the mic on the iphone, does anyone know which one to get.

Finally I used it on my windows based computer just to try out with the camera. Much improved but would Audacity be the best software to run to make recordings. I take any and all help. I know much about guitars and fixing them but these recording things leave me pretty lost.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I did a lot of research on USB mics before I got my iRig HD2. One reason was that I got a good deal on a lightly used model on Reverb.

I did strongly consider the Snowball though. Seems like a good mic.

AFAIK, all these mics will be powered by an iPhone or tablet. You can get a cord with a lightning male end for the iPhone or a USB-C for the iPad.

For recording 30"-1 hr or so I doubt you will notice a drain on the device battery. At least I haven't.

Audacity will work for recording, though personally I find it a bit cumbersome to use.

I much prefer the Apple devices and use GarageBand or the iRig software (4-Track) for recording.

User Info Menu

When recording directly to GB on my iPad, I use a lightning-to-usb adapter that has a separate lightning port for a power supply / charger. It also works as a usb midi interface, so I can run my midi keyboard directly in. With a mic, it keeps me from running down the device battery, so I don’t have to charge it for daily use after recording on it. And the keyboard needs the power.

With a usb mic, you can probably record for many minutes on the device battery. But for $15, the adapter is well worth its cost to me.

Blue Snowball Mic options-bab2bbaa-a5a2-45fd-aa08-9a9ccf0f8f7e-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    When recording directly to GB on my iPad, I use a lightning-to-usb adapter that has a separate lightning port for a power supply / charger. It also works as a usb midi interface, so I can run my midi keyboard directly in. With a mic, it keeps me from running down the device battery, so I don’t have to charge it for daily use after recording on it. And the keyboard needs the power.

With a usb mic, you can probably record for many minutes on the device battery. But for $15, the adapter is well worth its cost to me.

Blue Snowball Mic options-bab2bbaa-a5a2-45fd-aa08-9a9ccf0f8f7e-png
    Yup, I got one of those. It works well.

I’m also a Mac user and use GarageBand on the computer. On the phone I’ve just been using the camera app to record video and iMovie to trim it. I haven’t tried GB on the phone (yet).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I haven’t tried GB on the phone (yet).
    It works very very well on my iPhone 14, but it was almost as good even on my 7.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    It works very very well on my iPhone 14, but it was almost as good even on my 7.
    I'm not sure I have a use case for it on the phone, but at some point I'll give it a whirl.

i just found out I can use Real Band to record for computer that came with my BIAB and that is good then I have a backing track that is decent.