The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, I finally set up my system . ? all updated to the most current version of logic studio pro. Using an apogee element 46.

I have a Fender Princeton Tone Master reverb amp that I put directly into the apogee element 46. No mics needed.

It recorded the track fine, but the playback level is low through the monitors, much lower than the amp. Is there something wrong that I did? What should be the settings in the circumstance? Either on the apogee, or on the sliders in logic. Actually, when I increased the Balanced Line Out settings o the amp to 10/10 the output was louder. That kind of fixed it.

I’m still wondering what the optimal settings should be in logic, pro on the sliders to record an electric guitar direct in using apogee element 46.
    Thank you !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Hi, I finally set up my system . ? all updated to the most current version of logic studio pro. Using an apogee element 46.

I have a Fender Princeton Tone Master reverb amp that I put directly into the apogee element 46. No mics needed.

It recorded the track fine, but the playback level is low through the monitors, much lower than the amp. Is there something wrong that I did? What should be the settings in the circumstance? Either on the apogee, or on the sliders in logic. Actually, when I increased the Balanced Line Out settings o the amp to 10/10 the output was louder. That kind of fixed it.

I’m still wondering what the optimal settings should be in logic, pro on the sliders to record an electric guitar direct in using apogee element 46.
    Thank you !

Hello, I have an element 88, they are a good sounding interface. Try opening up the Apogee Control software. In that on the right hand side on the bottom, you should find output volumes for the speaker, and above that for the headphones.

Try importing an old jazz tune into your daw (not something modern and super loud) and play that while turning the volume I just mentioned up until it's a little more than you want (with the idea a cd etc will be a bit louder than what you record). Now make sure the input channel in that same Apogee Control software is set to +4. Then put the tone master output somewhere around 5 to 7, this should hopefully give you a healthy input signal. Turn it up until you get a little bit of yellow, then back it off until the yellow disappears.

In the DAW, leave the fader at zero.

Do you need to monitor the signal through the computer, or are you listening from the amp?

Feel free to pm me. Take care.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    Hello, I have an element 88, they are a good sounding interface. Try opening up the Apogee Control software. In that on the right hand side on the bottom, you should find output volumes for the speaker, and above that for the headphones.

Try importing an old jazz tune into your daw (not something modern and super loud) and play that while turning the volume I just mentioned up until it's a little more than you want (with the idea a cd etc will be a bit louder than what you record). Now make sure the input channel in that same Apogee Control software is set to +4. Then put the tone master output somewhere around 5 to 7, this should hopefully give you a healthy input signal. Turn it up until you get a little bit of yellow, then back it off until the yellow disappears.

In the DAW, leave the fader at zero.

Do you need to monitor the signal through the computer, or are you listening from the amp?

Feel free to pm me. Take care.
    Thanks, I’ll try it. I’m doing a dual track recording of my guitar, one Mic, and one using the Direct In Line Out, and one with a Mic. I have either a SM57 or a Royer R-121 (I just ordered the dual mic clip that can hold both: when I get it, I’ll have 3 ways to record the guitar: SM57, Royer R-121 and Line Out ).
    It’s a slog for someone like me. The Mic levels for the SM57 were so low (-60 to -50), wasn’t sure how to ramp the gain on the Apogee until I went to the app, set the Input from +4DbU to “Mic”, whereupon I was able to ad +34 to the Mic Gain.

Still trying to figure out proper mic placement and proper signal levels for everything
    Thanks for your reply! I will try to work that out as you advised.

User Info Menu

SO, it appears that there are three mics most used to record electric guitars: (1) the Shure SM-57; (2) the Royer R-121; the (3) the Sennheiser 421. I have all three. Finally unpacked my stuff after 3 years! YAY! Ready to go, lots to learn.

Apparently, the SM-57 and R-121 are often used in tandem, especially in places like Nashville. Royer came out with a specific mic clip you can affix both to, on one mic stand. I just ordered it. When it comes, I’ll be able to record the guitar in three different inputs: the SM-57, R-121 and the Line-in.

Rick Beato agrees that the SM-57 and R-121 are the way to go. Who could even remotely argue with him?