The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: How often do you record your practice?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

8 20.00%
  • Rarely

11 27.50%
  • From time to time

7 17.50%
  • Regularly

14 35.00%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 61 of 61

User Info Menu

i was playing Basies Bag last night .heard a whisper..`lets hear them chords` yes it was George..was i smoking...No

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

How often do you record your practice?

All the time. Not from vanity or to chart progress (because I'm not counting) but to hear what I played. I lose myself when playing and never remember what I did.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1;1324976All the time [...
    to hear what I played.
    This begs the next question (or set of questions): how often do you actually listen to recordings of your own practise? Do you keep the recordings or do you just overwrite them periodically? Etc...

I guess that should be a different poll!

User Info Menu

Yes, I listen to them, I have to! And most of them are kept. In fact, it's time I got an external drive...

User Info Menu

You have to? Who/what makes you?

User Info Menu

I do not record practice sessions, but I often record at the end of one. I want to hear what I've worked on, but not necessarily the process.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    You have to? Who/what makes you?
    I just told you, because I don't know what I've played. Of course I listen to it afterwards. It's not why would I, it's why wouldn't I? I've just done it, it's my little thing

User Info Menu

I record myself and look at how the little wavey things line up with the click. Or sadly quite frequently, don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I just told you, because I don't know what I've played.
    Hmmok, you made it sound a little bit like an obligation. I wish I could see it that way, so I'd bother to record myself more often.

I have a whole collection of minidiscs with recordings of master-classy summer school lessons I took from '95 to '06 or so. Those I did listen to during the course because there was usually so much said it was hard to remember everything, but they became archival material very soon after coming home...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Hmmok, you made it sound a little bit like an obligation. I wish I could see it that way, so I'd bother to record myself more often.
    No obligation, just interest. But the real question is why you don't record yourself. Presumably you think what you've played doesn't need reviewing in any way. All I can say is it can't be very demanding stuff. You've done it, you played it... so what? No need to record it.

How about the melody plus a couple of consecutive solos over a backing track? You'd want to listen to that again, I expect. Unless you just take it for granted everything you've done is all perfectly wonderful and beyond self-criticism :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    ... But the real question is why you don't record yourself ... Unless you just take it for granted everything you've done is all perfectly wonderful and beyond self-criticism :-)
    Erm?

I do record myself, but not often in part because of the hassle to put thing, in part because I know I'm usually not good enough to make it through a piece without glitching. So I know I'd end up with recordings that would require time and effort to cut out those rotten bits to make something listenable. Sometimes I will do that and then still find I only rarely listen to them.