The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

...is a very long name of a software product. I've downloaded it to my iPad, just to find out that there are pricey add-ons I probably need...but before I invest more time and money in this product I like to hear your opinions.

Any user here that like to share a review, some pros and cons?

I've watched some Youtube demos/reviews/tutorials and so far I've got mixed emotions, some of which is related to the concept as such and some that follows the need to learn how to use the software properly. The computer is a great tool, but can also be a time thief... I've not yet decided if I want this product in my life...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have it on my regular computer. I find I rarely fire it up. As a play along, it feels clunky. Genius Jam Tracks is easier to change tempo, edit chords, loop, etc., and sounds good. The functional mapping isn’t too useful for me. I can identify basic function without it, and don’t really use anything more involved in my playing. But that is just my experience. Maybe the functional mapping will really unlock something in your playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have yet to figure out how to add extensions that are not visible in the map, like common 9th-chords for example.
    I find it somewhat tedious to have to locate every chord on the map when composing/editing.

-What's the fastest way to insert a C9-chord?
    -What's the fastest way to remove extensions for chords suggested by the map, for example substituting an A7-9 with a plain A7-chord?

Edit: I found a YT video (a bunch of videos seem to be the only available manual) that shows how to change an A7-9 to a mixo A7. Still, it appears it's not possible to enter 9th, 11th or 13th chords because the Berklee alumni think they're all 7th chords (as the 9, 11 and 13 are in the scale)

When I write C9 i mean C9, not C7. For improvisation purpose C7 is sufficient, but not for comping. When I write C13 that's what I intend the comp to play, not C7.
    A C9M has a different sound than a C7M even though they share the same function etc.
    Last edited by JCat; 01-02-2023 at 12:32 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a ticket open with the developers because when I open the program on my main 27" Apple Display connected to an Apple Silicon M1 Pro, I see the analysis section (the Main page) waaaay off kilter

I also don't see the cool aged paper background I can see on my iPad. I need the larger view because it's impossible to read on a 14" Retina screen. I think the bitmap they use as the foundation image does not scale.

Mapping Tonal Harmony Pro-screenshot-2023-01-04-8-39-58-pm-png