The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I've got an external speaker feed off my amp that's an 8 ohm thing I think and definitely not a line out connection. Uses the usual phone plug like the guitar does. I'm wondering whether you can feed off of this somehow into a recording. Not even sure what to record with... this is simply for practice and something better than my iPhone. Suggestions? There's got to be a better way than this, but I'm not looking to break the bank for practicing either. I have one of those ZOOM mikes (not the ZOOM app for office conferencing!) that looks like a microphone for MP3's... but it seems awkward for this.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You definitely don’t want to plug the extension speaker out into anything other than a speaker. You’d likely damage the recording unit and possibly the amp.

The simplest, cheapest thing to do is to use your phone. You probably already have a recording app, or you can download one. The phone already has a microphone. You can use an external mic, but I suggest just starting with the phone mic. You’ll have to experiment with mic placement. The phone speaker won’t sound that good, but you can plug in some earbuds for playback. You might find that it’s fine for your purposes. You can always try more costly alternatives if it doesn’t please you. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JWMandy
    I've got an external speaker feed off my amp that's an 8 ohm thing I think and definitely not a line out connection. Uses the usual phone plug like the guitar does. I'm wondering whether you can feed off of this somehow into a recording. Not even sure what to record with... this is simply for practice and something better than my iPhone. Suggestions? There's got to be a better way than this, but I'm not looking to break the bank for practicing either. I have one of those ZOOM mikes (not the ZOOM app for office conferencing!) that looks like a microphone for MP3's... but it seems awkward for this.
    This https://www.radialeng.com/wp-content...heet-jdx48.pdf.

S

User Info Menu

^^ +100 Don't even think about connecting a speaker out to any line input. You will fry anything other than a speaker because of the voltage and current.

Edit: SOLR snuck in while I was typing. If you want to buy more gear, that should work. Just don't go straight to recording gear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SOLR
    That is way cool. Radial's stuff is great.

User Info Menu

One of the easiest and cheapest methods is to use Zoom, the free on line meeting program.

1. Start a meeting with yourself in your meeting room.
    2 Axcess the ´more´button and record to your computer.
    3. When your done, end the call. The program will then process the recording and deposit it as a mp4 file.

If you have an audio interface you can use it to get a better recording of the guitar sound of course. There are vids on YT that show how to incorporate the AI with Zoom. It is a simple procedure once you get your bearings as with all new programs. Cost free with vid and sound of your practice session.

User Info Menu

This is good advice. Really appreciated. If I buy something... I'll let someone close by give me a heads up. Otherwise, I'll figure out how to make the iPhone or one of it's apps... even ZOOM work. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro
    One of the easiest and cheapest methods is to use Zoom, the free on line meeting program.

1. Start a meeting with yourself in your meeting room.
    2 Axcess the ´more´button and record to your computer.
    3. When your done, end the call. The program will then process the recording and deposit it as a mp4 file.

If you have an audio interface you can use it to get a better recording of the guitar sound of course. There are vids on YT that show how to incorporate the AI with Zoom. It is a simple procedure once you get your bearings as with all new programs. Cost free with vid and sound of your practice session.
    Why bother with Zoom (which compresses and distorts audio)? You can just record video directly on the computer, in Windows with the camera app on a Mac with Photo Booth or Quick Time.

Regardless, iphones have better audio and video quality than most computers' built-in camera and mic. So unless the OP specifically needs the video to be on the computer I think it makes the most sense to do it on the phone, unless he wants to do more sophisticated audio production.

User Info Menu

FWIW as the OP, Zoom is also on the iPhone. I've not used it on my phone, but it's there and plenty do. So that's a thought.

The computer.... however... ain't anywhere near my practice room(s) and is comparatively inconvenient... even as a laptop. My teacher has a computer in the studio, so I get the reference... and it's something to keep in mind.
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

FWIW as the OP, Zoom is also on the iPhone. I've not used it on my phone, but it's there and plenty do. So that's a thought.

The computer.... however... ain't anywhere near my practice room(s) and is comparatively inconvenient... even as a laptop. My teacher has a computer in the studio, so I get the reference... and it's something to keep in mind.
    Thanks!
    Got it, Zoom is on the phone. Video recording on the iPhone using the regular iPhone camera app is going to be higher quality than that, too. It's still not great (because of automatic level control), but you can improve on that by using an external mic that allows for audio levels to be set manually, such as this. You say you also have handheld Zoom audio recorder? That probably will sound better than just your phone (and about the same as an external mic plugged into your phone), but if you want to listen to the recordings on something other than that, then you have to deal with getting the resultant audio files onto a computer or phone.

Your original question about plugging the output of your amp into something -- options are all complicated, and probably way too much $ and hassle for just capturing some practice sessions.

Bottom line, if you want to keep it simple, stick to the iphone and live with its inherent compromises.
    Last edited by John A.; 11-15-2022 at 05:49 PM.

User Info Menu

I use a handheld Yamaha Pocketrak. More than good enough for reviewing your own playing. I even had one of my combo tracks played on the radio. The DJ thought it was good enough. I used a Zoom H2 before that, which was fine until it broke. And an IRiver (model the size of a thumb, which used an external mic and also sounded great). I've posted a number of videos made with my Android phone and they're good enough for the purpose.

But, if you want to go into a recorder electronically, you need a line out, not a speaker out.

Another way to do it is to get an audio interface and plug that into your computer.

User Info Menu

You can buy a cheap cellphone tripod at best buy and use the video or sound recorder. I use that, and
    I use a zoom H4N and or Q2N,
    Or mic my laptop with an audio box USB 96 and set up some recording software!
    Lots of options, depending on budget and tolerance for technology.

User Info Menu

Get a usb mic and use the cam on your computer or laptop. Super quick and easy, pretty good sound, and not too expensive.

Audio-Technica AT2020USB+ Side-Address Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone | Musician's Friend

User Info Menu

Another vote for using a smartphone. A mini tripod is handy if you want video. Or just use a free audio recorder app.

Jacob Collier used the iPhone voice memo to write/record a tune, ("I recorded it on my phone for safe-keeping.") he ended up releasing the iphone recording on his album. The iphone mic does a pretty decent job... and we are just talking about recording your practice, no reason to overcomplicate it.

User Info Menu

I have a couple of these mini tripods and they're perfect:

Amazon.com

User Info Menu

Guys: Thanks! Yes, I have an iPhone and a Zoom H2N. The iPhone's waaaaay easier to use. Will stick with that.

Microphone accessory would make sense at some point, and a sort of foot switch that didn't mean fumbling with the hardware would be really nice. Some time later. I have plenty of tripods lying around.

User Info Menu

Guys: Thanks! Yes, I have an iPhone and a Zoom H2N. The iPhone's waaaaay easier to use. Will stick with that.

Microphone accessory would make sense at some point, and a sort of foot switch that didn't mean fumbling with the hardware would be really nice. Some time later. I have plenty of tripods lying around.

JW, it is really nice to see an OP who responds to all the views and advice presented. Hope things go well!

User Info Menu

The iPhone set by the amp will be more than good enough to record your practices.

User Info Menu

What kind of practice do you want to do with the recordings? Perhaps what you need is a looper?

User Info Menu

Alter: Yes, that thought occurred to me, too, re: Looper. I'd been on that path some months back but then got sidetracked finding a good teacher. That idea is a good one if you've got some minutes to run, and can output an MP3.

What I think I'm after is a way to simply record my practice, listen to it, and see what I sound like... getting used to self criticism from outside my head.

I've done it once or twice with an iphone.... but never did much with placement.... and sent it to my teacher ahead of a lesson a few times so we can be more productive in the scarce time we have together. He thought it was helpful. But more recently as sometimes, when business or family make it so I have to miss a week or two... even more so.... it just seems a way to give feedback to both of us... and feel like I"m still making progress.

But then you guys have kept mentioning video. And I'm thinking the positive is seeing my hands and impact of breathing on phrasing and all that (down the road! but still possible) and that'd be great. At the same time, I think that raises the complexity waaay ahead of what I need at the moment and risks getting into a 2nd hobby 'cause next thing you know you need lighting, etc. and that could run crazy real quick.

Since I'm a one step at a time kind of guy, KISS method seems better. The microphone idea addresses a sore spot 'cause the iphone mic was really meant to be right next to your mouth.... not far away. It can work, but it's not really gonna be fair to the sound beyond spotting mistakes and stuff. Getting "tone" right.... probably deserves better. NOT too much better, but worth a little thought.... and more thought to KISS (and cheap, too). The other thing like I said is hands free. I'm already scrambling to get in my seat with the guitar.... so I'd love a footswitch if it's not rocket science and all.....or expensive.

Which I guess brings us back to the looper idea. I'll look into that... kind of think I'll be looking a while. Again. Thanks!!!