The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 51

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    A really simple way to do this would be to download Audacity (free software), import the audio file, and apply the Amplify effect (it has an option to increase volume to the maximum before it starts to clip).

As others have pointed out, if there is not enough headroom to do this then you will have to look at compression/limiting (Audacity also has a compression effect), but this is more complex and will potentially change the sound of the audio.
    Worked for me the last time I did it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If Jimmy's wondering where the volume switch is, it's here. No need to select/highlight the track, just slide it

How to increase the volume of a recording?-volume-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    If Jimmy's wondering where the volume switch is, it's here. No need to select/highlight the track, just slide it

Doesnt It increases the DB? If so I think It loses quality? Thanks for posting the image and taling your time anyways

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDunlop
    Doesnt It increases the DB? If so I think It loses quality? Thanks for posting the image and taling your time anyways
    Don't worry about Db stuff. For your purposes just make it a bit louder. It won't affect the quality. But if it's too loud you'll get orange/red flashes from the Recording Level display in the middle of the top of the window. As long you don't go into the orange/red zone your recordings will be fine.

By the way, underneath that Recording Level display is the Recording Volume box. That matters. You should experiment on the setting. Too high and you get flashes, too low and your recordings will be too soft. Mine's on about 75 but that may not be right for you.

Play with it till you understand it. As a general rule, if anything you read/hear sounds too complicated and technical it probably is!

Don't worry about Db stuff. For your purposes just make it a bit louder. It won't affect the quality. But if it's too loud you'll get orange/red flashes from the Recording Level display in the middle of the top of the window. As long you don't go into the orange/red zone your recordings will be fine.

By the way, underneath that Recording Level display is the Recording Volume box. That matters. You should experiment on the setting. Too high and you get flashes, too low and your recordings will be too soft. Mine's on about 75 but that may not be right for you.

Play with it till you understand it. As a general rule, if anything you read/hear sounds too complicated and technical it probably is!
    I will test it. Thanks. But do you have something in mind? I mean the Max level i can increase DB without losing quality?

User Info Menu

The 'max level' is anything before you get the flashes. Try it out and you'll see it immediately. Recordings don't always have to reach max level by any means.

Why are you so concerned with volume? What's prompting this?

User Info Menu

I will test it. Thanks. But do you have something in mind? I mean the Max level i can increase DB without losing quality?
    You don't lose quality by increasing the level. It's like turning up the volume, nothing more. Unless you clip at the output. Normalising is likely the easiest way, but it won't work if there are peaks in the file that prohibits the level from being raised. Thus, a limiter is the sure way to increase level, as it will limit those peaks.

User Info Menu

This is an example of what digital clipping sounds like at the louder peaks, it is a very unpleasant kind of distortion that might have its place in certain kinds of electronic music but is totally inappropriate for acoustic recordings.

User Info Menu

Excuse my ignorance. But isnt that gonna decrease the sound quality?

A limiter isnt a software as I could see. I am looking for a software
    Dear JimmyDunlop

You don't know what Reaper is
    You think a limiter is a device and not software
    You think that normalizing changes the sound quality.

I conclude that you have so little knowledge of modern digital audio production that I strongly advise you to call in someone who does. (Edit: Or start learning today, but that'll last some time and effort. It's not a thing of: Give me some software that does the job)

No offense or insult intended, just my opinion as an audio professional.

Cheers Don E.

User Info Menu

On a second thought:

As an avid Reaper user, I have to admit that my favorite DAW is not necessarily beginner-friendly.

In such a specific case I would rather recommend you to use an audio editor.

Audacity is free and very powerful. I would actually do the project in Audacity myself if it was really just one file.
    But Audacity can also be confusing for the beginner.

Audacity (R) | Free, open source, cross-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing.

Oceanaudio is a simpler audio editor that has everything on board for normalizing and making it louder, looks nice and has a clear and simple GUI. Maybe you should try that one first.

ocenaudio

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    Dear JimmyDunlop

You think a limiter is a device and not software
    You think that normalizing changes the sound quality.

I conclude that you have so little knowledge of modern digital audio production that I strongly advise you to call in someone who does. (Edit: Or start learning today, but that'll last some time and effort. It's not a thing of: Give me some software that does the job)

No offense or insult intended, just my opinion as an audio professional.

Cheers Don E.
    Or at least do your research. Google and Wikipedia is your friend. Follow links on Wikipedia. Tons of tutorials on YouTube. It is hard to give an audio engineering crash course in a few sentences to someone who seems to be a total noob on that field. No offense intended — I am normally someone who is really patient and willing to explain things clearly. I posted some wiki links above. Start from there. In that field some theoretical knowledge is really helpful. You should at least have more than a vague idea about deciBels.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban

You've got to pay for Reaper and all he wants to do is make something louder!

Audacity can also be confusing for the beginner.
    That link's already been posted.

Audacity, I assure you, is by far the simplest one you'll get. All the others look like the inside of a stealth jet.

How to increase the volume of a recording?-index2-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Use the normalise function in any DAW.
    Reaper can do that and is free for evaluation.

Normalising will bring the highest peak of the recording up to a ‘normal’ volume level. Sometimes you need to limit the peaks first if the peaks are very high compared to the rest of the recording.

Do keep in mind you will also raise the background noise in volume, so normalising doesn’t always yield good results with noisy recordingss
    Yes, exactly the place to start. And is probably all you need to do. Given you don't clip, it won't degrade the sound.

Have you tried it?

Reaper recently has added normalization in it's rendering process. You can set it to 15 Lufs and maximize the amount of volume youtube allows. However, depending on the instrument involved, especially solo acoustic guitar, you likely will clip at 15 lufs. For solo guitar, I'd go to 20 lufs to be safe and that is plenty loud enough.

User Info Menu

All the others look like the inside of a stealth jet.
    hey don’t knock it, I mixed my latest album on a B-2.

How to increase the volume of a recording?-24d96362-80b5-467b-8966-438c66ec5377-jpeg

User Info Menu

That explains it, Blue Bossa at 50,000 feet

User Info Menu

and nobody could hear it...

That explains it, Blue Bossa at 50,000 feet
    You helped me a lot I want to thank you for your kindness. About the recordings I think they start to lose quality when you increase it with audacity above 10db. But thanks anyways for the help

User Info Menu

they start to lose quality when you increase it with audacity above 10db.
    It depends how loud they were to start with. If it goes into the red, lower the volume with the slider.

(The numbers on the meters are negative, so you mean decrease it below -10dB. Otherwise you are correct. About -6 is a good level)

It depends how loud they were to start with. If it goes into the red, lower the volume with the slider.

(The numbers on the meters are negative, so you mean decrease it below -10dB. Otherwise you are correct. About -6 is a good level)
    I meant to increase the sound so would be+db. I think +6 is good for me

User Info Menu

Okay, good. Forget plus and minus. The point is that, on the Playback Level meter, the numbers go from 54 down to zero, and zero = too loud! I know it's confusing. But let's just use ordinary English and say between 12 and 6 is ideal.

So have you solved your problem with recording and volume now? Be honest!

User Info Menu

I meant to increase the sound so would be+db. I think +6 is good for me
    Are you a troll and are you making fun of us here? .
    (Trolling can also be funny, but the prerequisite is just that it's funny).

Do you even read what others write here?

So you mean a blanket 6dB to it and good? OK, why don't you just load Audacity (I even found the link for you) and just add 6 dB.

Maybe it works without distortions...

(Small hint: It might even work, but that's not the right solution, because it probably makes everything much worse).

Okay, good. Forget plus and minus. The point is that, on the Playback Level meter, the numbers go from 54 down to zero, and zero = too loud! I know it's confusing. But let's just use ordinary English and say between 12 and 6 is ideal.

So have you solved your problem with recording and volume now? Be honest!
    Yes It worked for me. I just slided to the right. It said +2DB . It was enough . Looks solved. Btw i wasnt using playback. Just micro testing. Thanks for your help

User Info Menu

see... If you slide it works, but I dont like audacity, as don esteban said reaper is better, but you need to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlot
    see... If you slide it works, but I dont like audacity, as don esteban said reaper is good, but you need to buy it.
    Cant afford reaper. It is Useless when you have audacity. Yes i did that i used that slider and moved It to the right. It counted +2db. Solved. Thanks ragman!!

User Info Menu

Yes It worked for me. I just slided to the right. It said +2DB . It was enough . Looks solved. Btw i wasnt using playback. Just micro testing. Thanks for your help
    No problem, glad you've got it.