Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 122

User Info Menu

Keeping 3 on standby...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    saxes are in woodwind
    ah I've found it now. That Muse Hub thing is terrible to navigate on my PC, I can't resize it, I could not see woodwinds anywhere in it and the v4 handbook does not mention them for some reason.

Anyway I've now found the (almost invisible) slider bar at the bottom of the Muse Hub, slid it across and found the Woodwinds. I suspect they are also included if you choose the 'download the whole lot in one go' option.

Might try it later.

User Info Menu

Ok downloaded brass and woodwind and applied it to a couple of horn charts I have. First thing to watch is that it automatically installed the sound files data on the program (C) drive, where I didn’t want it. My PC has a relatively limited SSD (C drive) for programs and a big hard drive (D) for data, so I wanted these data files on D. To do this, you need to go into the MuseHub settings (gear icon) and change download to a suitable custom folder (BEFORE you ‘get’ the new sounds file).

So I unpicked that and re-downloaded ok. Opened a couple of existing v3 scores and reassigned the horns to the new Muse Sounds option. The saxes and brass do sound better than the old ones. However they have been recorded with a distant perspective and tons of reverb, so are much better suited to an orchestral ‘concert hall’ sound. For a big band chart, they really don’t work very well, in my opinion. There seems to be no way to reduce the reverb levels.

Someone else has raised this, hopefully it will get fixed sometime:

Musescore 4 Reverb | MuseScore

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Which is to be expected for a x.0 release. I followed their discussion about whether to require Qt 6 or keep supporting Qt 5. I can't remember or never saw the final decision, but if the former (or if the builds everyone uses use Qt 6) I would expect that a good number of bug reports are linked to that change. Major Qt release updates tend to be a PITA esp. if you use a lot of the more advance features.
    not sure it's related to UI. It seems the issues have to do with playback. Not sure how much QT is involved in that part of the code. And this is not a 1.0. It's a 4.0 release and with finale as an example, I don't remember seeing these kinds of reports on a finale x.0 release for example. Typically the overall product in most releases beyond 1 improves stability even if some new features might not work so well...

User Info Menu

Thanks Graham and Christian for answering some of the questions.
    Another thing that is driving me crazy is when I just write chord symbols for the solos on my charts, the effing piano bangs out these awful chords that are not what I wrote on the page.
    I feel like I'm doing a gig with some retarded classical pianist who doesn't know how to voice jazz chords.

The chords also don't line up right, and the piano bangs them out with the wrong rhythms e.g. playing quarter note chords instead of half note chords!
    If I write horn backgrounds for the solos the fecking piano makes them sound like schist because of all of the above.
    Currently driving me nuts on my 53rd big band chart!

User Info Menu

You can control the chords to some extent in one of the menu options, I think it’s under Format - Style (in V3 anyway, haven’t checked it in v4).

You can choose a ‘jazz’ option which sounds reasonable, you can also choose some options re. timing e.g. chord lasts until next one, or matches the note/rest duration it is attached to. You should be able to attach the chords to any note or rest.

I don’t think the chords are intended to be all that precise, but if you needed that level of control, you could possibly link them to a separate voice in the staff and write suitable rests there to position them with, it’s a bit fiddly but might work.

User Info Menu

Here are the chord playback options in the handbook (v3):

Playback: Chord symbols / Nashville numbers | MuseScore

User Info Menu

I think most of you are old enough to have known the time when some of us preferred the term WYSAIG (what you see is all you get) over WYSIWIG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Thanks Graham and Christian for answering some of the questions.
    Another thing that is driving me crazy is when I just write chord symbols for the solos on my charts, the effing piano bangs out these awful chords that are not what I wrote on the page.
    I feel like I'm doing a gig with some retarded classical pianist who doesn't know how to voice jazz chords.

The chords also don't line up right, and the piano bangs them out with the wrong rhythms e.g. playing quarter note chords instead of half note chords!
    If I write horn backgrounds for the solos the fecking piano makes them sound like schist because of all of the above.
    Currently driving me nuts on my 53rd big band chart!
    I agree

Have you contacted the team about it?

They have a massive to do list, but the difference with Sibelius is they actually will do something about it.

it might be a stretch to expect idiomatic playback; as I understand it things like Band in a Box are quite sophisticated peoces of software, but Im sure it could be improved, if only making the chord playing follow indicated rhythms better, voicing in a more idiomatic way and make the velocity a little more appropriate to context.

User Info Menu

They have a massive to do list
    Which they will have to treat weighing their various priorities and those of the different categories of user they cater to. That includes the question whether they want to be foremost a music editor, or a playback engine that "understands" enough of a given score to apply a reasonable interpretation.

The latter sounds more like a job for an AI engine like we have already seen for generating portrait paintings (Dawn) or text (GPT).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Which they will have to treat weighing their various priorities and those of the different categories of user they cater to. That includes the question whether they want to be foremost a music editor, or a playback engine that "understands" enough of a given score to apply a reasonable interpretation.

The latter sounds more like a job for an AI engine like we have already seen for generating portrait paintings (Dawn) or text (GPT).
    tbh the playback features are nice but the main thing is that I can write good charts on it that reliably transpose to the correct keys for horns and all that. (I remember having trouble with MS2)

if I want to do something fancy, I have Logic

but non terrible chords would be nice

User Info Menu

The chords sound reasonable to me, using the ‘jazz’ option as I mentioned above.

For a big band chart I’d probably turn off the chord playback anyway, I would think the chord symbols are there for guidance more than anything. Presumably a decent pianist should know the right voicings and how to comp them anyway.

I’m no big-band expert, but if there are specific voicings or rhythmic hits required, I assume it’s best to notate them in a piano part, I think I’ve seen this on a couple of charts.

User Info Menu

I agree

Have you contacted the team about it?

They have a massive to do list, but the difference with Sibelius is they actually will do something about it.

it might be a stretch to expect idiomatic playback; as I understand it things like Band in a Box are quite sophisticated peoces of software, but Im sure it could be improved, if only making the chord playing follow indicated rhythms better, voicing in a more idiomatic way and make the velocity a little more appropriate to context.
    Yeah, I've depended on Marc Sabatella for a lot of help in my Musescore adventures. He's a jazz pianist, who was a member of the old RMMGJ newsgroup. He has experience with tech-hopeless jazz guitarists like me. I told him that I lost an entire big band chart in the bowels of my computer, and he did his best to help me retrieve it, but even he and his fellow techs couldn't retrieve it.
    I'll try Graham's advice, and if that doesn't work, I'll bother Marc again at Musescore.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    The chords sound reasonable to me, using the ‘jazz’ option as I mentioned above.

For a big band chart I’d probably turn off the chord playback anyway, I would think the chord symbols are there for guidance more than anything. Presumably a decent pianist should know the right voicings and how to comp them anyway.

I’m no big-band expert, but if there are specific voicings or rhythmic hits required, I assume it’s best to notate them in a piano part, I think I’ve seen this on a couple of charts.
    The only problem with notating them, is that the pianist complains that he can't instantly improvise fills when there are no chord symbols.
    Did you get a chance to listen to that If concert at Liverpool University from 1971 I posted in that 'Arrangements' thread?
    Those guys were maniacs back then! Dennis Elliot, Jim Richardson, Morrissey, Terry Smith and the others were wild Men!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Did you get a chance to listen to that If concert at Liverpool University from 1971 I posted in that 'Arrangements' thread?
    Those guys were maniacs back then! Dennis Elliot, Jim Richardson, Morrissey, Terry Smith and the others were wild Men!
    yes interesting, I hadn’t heard If before, they certainly weren’t ‘laid back’!

User Info Menu

I wish all notation writing programs would flash red warnings when the users don't have 4 bars per line (when 4 bars per line is appropriate).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by orri
    I wish all notation writing programs would flash red warnings when the users don't have 4 bars per line (when 4 bars per line is appropriate).
    You can force Musescore to do 4 bars per line if that’s what you want (e.g. for a lead sheet):

Layout and formatting | MuseScore

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    You can force Musescore to do 4 bars per line if that’s what you want (e.g. for a lead sheet):

Layout and formatting | MuseScore
    I usually figure out how to make sheets look like I want them to look like.

It is sheets other users make (and I need to read) that I have a problem with.

User Info Menu

I downloaded MS 4.0 a few weeks ago, but I still had some charts that I was finishing up in 3.0, so I didn't get to use 4.0 till last night.
    I decided to try it on a chart that I don't expect to try and get played very soon if at all, because it's not in a genre that either band I play in cares about so there's no rush in getting it done.

The commands have changed somewhat, but nothing I couldn't adapt to easily. The acoustic guitar sound sounds improved, you can actually hear the plectrum against the string. I was afraid to check the electric guitar sound, because I heard they hadn't gotten around to that yet.

Everything was going okay for a while, but sections I was sure I had right seemed to be moving to a different place in the score. I wound up having to copy and paste a lot, but then the first serious problem came up.
    The trombone section and the rhythm section didn't play on playback, even though they were clearly notated. Before i could try anything, a warning signal came on saying that a file was corrupted, and a mistake was made on the program's part.
    I had three choices:
    1) I could go back to the last version I saved (which I did).
    2)I could report it to their Help site, and maybe they could restore it.
    3) I could keep going on and hope the program would fix itself.

So eight hours of work went down the drain, and I'm left to a version that I had four hours ago.
    I guess I'll report this to MS, but there's nothing they could do to restore what I lost.

So they seem to be in the same place where Graham said they were in months ago- a lot of bugs to be worked out.
    Back to 3.0 for me. Tuesday night I had a chart played by an excellent band I play in, and they performed it perfectly, on sight. I was just astounded, and happy with everything about it!

User Info Menu

Gotta say here. Watch the Musescore promo vids, see if you like what you see.
    The attitude is questionable. Bashing others, praising self.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    Gotta say here. Watch the Musescore promo vids, see if you like what you see.
    The attitude is questionable. Bashing others, praising self.
    Huh? What attitude? It's a new program that crashed on me, so I'll use their older one that works fine.
    Scotty, beam me up!

User Info Menu

The boss or head developer there posted a vid bashing Sibelius. I think it was boss... but anyway - approved by them.
    I'm not against bashing a product, but a public one shouldn't come from the competing team.

User Info Menu

MS 4 is reasonably stable for me.

User Info Menu

The boss or head developer there posted a vid bashing Sibelius. I think it was boss... but anyway - approved by them.
    I'm not against bashing a product, but a public one shouldn't come from the competing team.
    Oh, I thought you were bashing me. Never bash me. Few live to tell about it.

User Info Menu

There is a youtuber named tantacrul (has obvious Irish accent). Does a variety of composing related videos.

As I understand it he at some point made videos where he openly expressed his thoughts (bashed) on more than one notation software.

My understanding is that his criticisms on musescore were welcomed and it lead to him starting to participate in musescore opensource project and community and later became the lead developer.

So in my understanding he started making videos where he bashed notation software before he had any affiliation to any of them.