The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 122

User Info Menu

A new version 4 of the free and open source notation software MuseScore is in the works, momentarily in beta stage, with some nice engraving improvements to be expexted.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

i love musescore but it's been in the making for a looooooooooong time. I tried the beta last month and it was extremely buggy . Should have been an alpha version IMO...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i love musescore but it's been in the making for a looooooooooong time. I tried the beta last month and it was extremely buggy . Should have been an alpha version IMO...
    Did you report the issues?

User Info Menu

I bought Sibelius first and I am very pleased.
    I tried musescore - the best thing about it is that it's free.

User Info Menu

I am working with the latest beta* since yesterday and so far no flaws. The GUI has changed a little but I can get used to that. Version 3.6.2 BTW caused the first freeze of my machine since a very long time.

EDIT: (* Appimage on Linux)

User Info Menu

There was talk about moving to Qt 6. If they did that some changes in the GUI are to be expected...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    I am working with the latest beta* since yesterday and so far no flaws. The GUI has changed a little but I can get used to that. Version 3.6.2 BTW caused the first freeze of my machine since a very long time.

EDIT: (* Appimage on Linux)
    I tried the beta about a month ago. It was getting confused about how many 8th notes were in a 4/4 measure so I went back to 3.6.2...

User Info Menu

I'm a slave to MuseScore, and first heard about it here. I think I upgraded to 3.6, but it's hard to tell for sure. I've had a few problems with it, but I suspect it's my own ineptitude with files and that stuff.
    In one case I lost an entire big band chart somewhere in the computer. Marc Sabella said he knows it's still in there somewhere, but all I keep getting is a trombone part to another tune..LOL!

I've written over 50 big band charts, and gotten some of them played by two big bands I play with (one, just okay,
    the other, smokin'!), but I was wondering if any of you have paid for the Pro version of it? If you have, what advantages does it give you that a musescore slave such as I might find useful.
    I'm pretty sure that Fred Hess was a former student of Johnny Smith.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I'm a slave to MuseScore, and first heard about it here. I think I upgraded to 3.6, but it's hard to tell for sure. I've had a few problems with it, but I suspect it's my own ineptitude with files and that stuff.
    In one case I lost an entire big band chart somewhere in the computer. Marc Sabella said he knows it's still in there somewhere, but all I keep getting is a trombone part to another tune..LOL!

I've written over 50 big band charts, and gotten some of them played by two big bands I play with (one, just okay,
    the other, smokin'!), but I was wondering if any of you have paid for the Pro version of it? If you have, what advantages does it give you that a musescore slave such as I might find useful.
    I'm pretty sure that Fred Hess was a former student of Johnny Smith.
    From this link the only advantages I can see mentioned regarding engraving in the PRO+ version are (apart from things relating to the musescore.com website where you can upload your scores) “More mixing tools: Set the instrument and volume of each part. Mute, change the dynamic level, or make it play solo.” With the free 3.6.2 you can do that anyway (mixer is F 10).

Losing an entire big band chart (a few hours work probably) is really a pity.

What OS are you using? On Linux the Musescore score (“MSCZ”) files and the exported files (e.g. PDFs) are stored in “home_folder*/Documents/Musescore/Scores/” by default (just checked 3.6.2). On macOS it is probably similar, don’t know about Windows. (Another reason for not ditching my Windows partition that I have not used since months might be that the upcoming support for VST instruments in Musescore will possibly not be available in version 4 for Linux although meanwhile a lot of native VST plugins for Linux exist. Grahambop recently uploaded an improvisation over a self-made playback using a great sounding free big band plugin — Windows only. So I will probably install Musescore on Windows as well for occasions when the built in SoundFont — which is not too bad for listening control anyway — is not sufficient for my needs.

* your main folder normally carrying your user name

User Info Menu

I tried the beta about a month ago. It was getting confused about how many 8th notes were in a 4/4 measure so I went back to 3.6.2...
    I get eight eighth as desired in the beta. I tried the beta (not the nightly versions) which is from July IIRC so it is probably the same beta version.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    There was talk about moving to Qt 6. If they did that some changes in the GUI are to be expected...
    One change to get used to is that the “inspector” is now (version 4) located in a tab on the left with the “palettes” which gives the main score window more space. And some options I am permanently using like “staff text above or below staff” are now advanced options that need to be expanded each time (maybe one can make them permanently in the settings — haven’t checked yet) which is a bit annoying. I guess those are rather conscious design decisions than consequences of a new version of a graphics library.

User Info Menu

AFAIK the software was always free, do they plan to change that?

User Info Menu

From this link the only advantages I can see mentioned regarding engraving in the PRO+ version are (apart from things relating to the musescore.com website where you can upload your scores) “More mixing tools: Set the instrument and volume of each part. Mute, change the dynamic level, or make it play solo.” With the free 3.6.2 you can do that anyway (mixer is F 10).

Losing an entire big band chart (a few hours work probably) is really a pity.

What OS are you using? On Linux the Musescore score (“MSCZ”) files and the exported files (e.g. PDFs) are stored in “home_folder*/Documents/Musescore/Scores/” by default (just checked 3.6.2). On macOS it is probably similar, don’t know about Windows. (Another reason for not ditching my Windows partition that I have not used since months might be that the upcoming support for VST instruments in Musescore will possibly not be available in version 4 for Linux although meanwhile a lot of native VST plugins for Linux exist. Grahambop recently uploaded an improvisation over a self-made playback using a great sounding free big band plugin — Windows only. So I will probably install Musescore on Windows as well for occasions when the built in SoundFont — which is not too bad for listening control anyway — is not sufficient for my needs.

* your main folder normally carrying your user name
    Thanks for the reply! I use Windows.

User Info Menu

Grahambop recently uploaded an improvisation over a self-made playback using a great sounding free big band plugin — Windows only.
    As it happens I’ve just started using Musescore, in order to create some more of those big-band charts (I write the notation then export the midi to Reaper and apply the plugin there).

Until now I was using an old version of Finale (Printmusic), but there’s a lot of functionality it doesn’t have. For example it only has a fixed ‘swing’ playback parameter, and I need a variable one to make the midi sound just right. I could possibly upgrade it to the current full version of Finale, but that costs quite a lot. So I’ve been trialling Musescore, as it has that functionality (and of course is free).

I’m using v3, not the beta one.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply! I use Windows.
    This page of the online manual shows the default folders for Windows in the screenshot of the preferences window.

User Info Menu

This page of the online manual shows the default folders for Windows in the screenshot of the preferences window.
    So what do I do to get the score that vanished?
    Amother bad thing it did to me was to print out the parts for the entire trombone section in Em instead of Fm, which was the key the rest of the instruments were in on one of my original compositions!
    I walked around the band saying, "What are you guys doing to me?"
    They said they were just playing what was written.
    I looked at the key signature and apologized to them later. I thought they were trying to gaslight me or something.LOL!

User Info Menu

So what do I do to get the score that vanished?
    Amother bad thing it did to me was to print out the parts for the entire trombone section in Em instead of Fm, which was the key the rest of the instruments were in on one of my original compositions!
    I walked around the band saying, "What are you guys doing to me?"
    They said they were just playing what was written.
    I looked at the key signature and apologized to them later. I thought they were trying to gaslight me or something.LOL!
    What Windows version are you using?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    AFAIK the software was always free, do they plan to change that?
    There is no "pro" version of the main desktop application, and they say this will be true for the foreseeable future.

Musescore's ecosystem creates some unnecessary confusion because there's the desktop software (available at Musescore.org), and then there's Musescore.com, a web platform that does have a "pro" paid membership.

FWIW, the pro membership basically allows you to download scores contributed by members (with no limits), and to view / listen to (but not download) published scores owned by Hal Leonard and others who have licensed material to Musescore.com. If you ever read music from a screen (for example, an iPad), this kind of gives you a library of scores ("Netflix" style). I think beginning and intermediate piano students would find a lot to work with, while other instruments, not so much.

Nothing about the pro membership at Musescore.com has any effect on the desktop software.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 44lombard
    Nothing about the pro membership at Musescore.com has any effect on the desktop software.
    Exactly what I have always understood, and there's also preciously little they could do to add paying features as long as the software remains open source, besides moving features to plugins.
    Not to confound with a paid "Pro" version that entitles you to support and the like.

User Info Menu

I thought the Pro version gave you the ability to send your scores to other people outside of the Musescore community.

User Info Menu

What Windows version are you using?
    Windows 10.

User Info Menu

Windows 10.
    If you cannot find your file in the path set in the preferences window (see above) use the search function of the Explorer and search for “file:*.mscz”. Alternatively “file:*.mscx”. Through the so called wildcard “*” the results should be all files of those formats stored on your computer. Hope that helps. Good luck.

User Info Menu

I thought the Pro version gave you the ability to send your scores to other people outside of the Musescore community.
    Why do you need that community? Export locally as PDF. Send via e-mail.

User Info Menu

I like Musescore. It has some wrinkles but then so does Sibelius lol. As a long time Sibelius user I can only assume those who prefer it are locked in by the time spent on learning the awful user interface. Sibelius is probably more powerful, but I’m not writing anything ‘out there’, and I rather enjoy that Musescore plays chord symbols, for example, a useful feature for a jazzer.

As I’m not rich enough to join the Dorico bores I’m looking forward to the new release.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 44lombard
    There is no "pro" version of the main desktop application, and they say this will be true for the foreseeable future.

Musescore's ecosystem creates some unnecessary confusion because there's the desktop software (available at Musescore.org), and then there's Musescore.com, a web platform that does have a "pro" paid membership.

FWIW, the pro membership basically allows you to download scores contributed by members (with no limits), and to view / listen to (but not download) published scores owned by Hal Leonard and others who have licensed material to Musescore.com. If you ever read music from a screen (for example, an iPad), this kind of gives you a library of scores ("Netflix" style). I think beginning and intermediate piano students would find a lot to work with, while other instruments, not so much.

I do like having the pro membership btw, for studying classical stuff it’s very convenient and good value.