The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 122

User Info Menu

Dorico bores
    Well, see mouthpiece, plectrum, Jazz, scales, Brexit etc etc.

I bought the 'lite' version of Dorico after many years of Sibeliusing and legacy Finaleing. Notwithstanding the change in thinking required - to me an unintuitive methodology - I gave up after three attempts and it can do one frankly. It does seem to be what is says it is though, which is a pagesetting application rather than the instant feedback audio device used for composition which is what I want. Maybe it's changed.

And maybe you weren't talking about Dorico and I just started ranting, sorry if so. I do like Musescore though, at least the free version. Don't use it though.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’m here for the anti Dorico rants. Bring it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I’m here for the anti Dorico rants. Bring it.
    I don't eat Doricos anymore; too many carbz...

User Info Menu

Here’s a review of the Musescore v4 release. Looks like they’ve improved the cramped spacing it sometimes does, that’s one thing I wasn’t so keen on. Also new audio/VST options look interesting.

https://www.scoringnotes.com/reviews/musescore-4-0/

User Info Menu

As i see, Sibelius is a subscription model now (which puts a program in the trash bin category for me). But i have an older version which i bought and i use it, i know it and it still works fine. The times i have tried Musescore, i liked it.

User Info Menu

Looking forward to trying it.

User Info Menu

I just installed it and it looks interesting. Do any of you use a midi keyboard for adding notes? I was using the drop down piano with V3 but it's a slow proccess.

User Info Menu

No I use keyboard shortcuts, it’s fairly quick once you get the hang of it. Left hand selects the note duration (on the number keypad) while right hand enters the note on the stave with mouse click (or rest with a right click). Plus there are simple keyboard commands for sharp, flat, dot, tie, triplet etc.

I usually zoom the view up to make it easier to position the notes etc.
    Last edited by grahambop; 12-15-2022 at 04:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    No I use keyboard shortcuts, it’s fairly quick once you get the hang of it. Left hand selects the note duration (on the number keypad) while right hand enters the note on the stave with mouse click (or rest with left click). Plus there are simple keyboard commands for sharp, flat, dot, tie, triplet etc.

Thanks, I was starting to do it that way.

User Info Menu

No I use keyboard shortcuts, it’s fairly quick once you get the hang of it. Left hand selects the note duration (on the number keypad) while right hand enters the note on the stave with mouse click (or rest with a right click). Plus there are simple keyboard commands for sharp, flat, dot, tie, triplet etc.

I do it the other way round. Right hand on the Num Pad selects note duration, left hand on the standard keyboard selects notes. So much easier than entering with a musical keyboard (that sits here in front of me anyway but I don't use it for that purpose).

Accidentals entered by putting in the plain notes and then using [arrow up /down keys ].
    Slurs entered with the (+) on NumPad .... so running through the score.

Once the basic structure/melody/whatever is entered, I edit what needs to be edited, ad lyrics etc.....

User Info Menu

Impressed so far. The new interface doesn't seem alien from the old, but is also much more streamlined and well designed.

Haven't noticed much from the engraving yet, sure I will.

The new sound libraries are pretty impressive, although some of the pitch bending elements are a bit much. I' sure you can dial those down somewhere.

User Info Menu

Quick check: is the default fileformat at least backwards compatible with MScore 3?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Quick check: is the default fileformat at least backwards compatible with MScore 3?
    You can open MS3 files in MS4 if that's what you mean. Mostly. A couple I had to re-save in MS3.

There's some kinks.

User Info Menu

You can open MS3 files in MS4 if that's what you mean. Mostly. A couple I had to re-save in MS3.
    That'd be forward compatibility
    I meant the opposite; opening files saved in MS4 into MS3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    That'd be forward compatibility
    I meant the opposite; opening files saved in MS4 into MS3
    I don’t know but I wouldn’t expect so, maybe there’s an option to save as an older version - I’ll have a look.

User Info Menu

Impressed so far. The new interface doesn't seem alien from the old, but is also much more streamlined and well designed.

Haven't noticed much from the engraving yet, sure I will.

The new sound libraries are pretty impressive, although some of the pitch bending elements are a bit much. I' sure you can dial those down somewhere.
    Do we have to pay for the new sound libraries? The review at first said they were very cheap compared to the big three's, and later on said that they were free.
    The saxophones are the weakest sound in the big band template; they sound like an unholy cross between a harmonica and an accordion.
    The guitar is abominable! Since when is a jazz guitar twangy? I don't even write a guitar part, because it just makes things sound worse. When we play them live, I can play whatever I want to play from the score, like Johnny Smith and Tony Mottola used to do.
    I'm in the middle of a piece now, so I don't want to download anything that might interfere with what I'm writing.

It will be great to have ritards and accelerando, but have they improved the holds also?
    I still have trouble with writing the snare and the crash cymbal; one erases the other, unless I fool around with it a little. I think you've got to have some input in the divided Bass Drum bottom part first, but it's a PITA.
    Last edited by sgcim; 12-17-2022 at 09:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Do we have to pay for the new sound libraries? The review at first said they were very cheap compared to the big three's, and later on said that they were free.
    The saxophones are the weakest sound in the big band template; they sound like an unholy cross between a harmonica and an accordion.
    The guitar is abominable! Since when is a jazz guitar twangy? I don't even write a guitar part, because it just makes things sound worse. When we play them live, I can play whatever I want to play from the score, like Johnny Smith and Tony Mottola used to do.
    I'm in the middle of a piece now, so I don't want to download anything that might interfere with what I'm writing.

It will be great to have ritards and accelerando, but have they improved the holds also?
    I still have trouble with writing the snare and the crash cymbal; one erases the other, unless I fool around with it a little. I think you've got to have some input in the divided Bass Drum bottom part first, but it's a PITA.
    No they are free if you are already signed up to Musescore (I think there’s a subscription fee? Honestly I can’t remember lol). They are however quite large files as you can imagine.

my experience has been that downloading the sound libraries had no effect other than making the scores sound better. They worked right away with no issues.

I haven’t yet had time to pay attention all the different aspects, but testing it with pre-existing scores it sounded pretty good.

Hope they now release a similar guitar update! The stock E guitar sound is pretty basic and very twangy as you say.

if you want to write a guitar part you can always mix it out on playback. This is very easy now. I suppose this will simulate real performance practice ;-)

also I don’t know if there’s something you can do to improve chord symbol realisation… maybe that’s another one for the Musescore team’s to do list.

User Info Menu

If version 4 allows VST plugins (which the review suggested) then you may be able to apply a better guitar sound that way.

I found a free vst guitar plugin somewhere (spitfire labs possibly? need to check on my computer) which had a useable clean guitar sound, I believe it was sampled from a Tele neck pickup. Certainly sounds better than any of the guitar sounds that come with musescore 3.

I haven’t had time to download v4 yet, I might get to it today.

User Info Menu

Well I downloaded v4 (but not the new sound fonts yet) and I have found 2 annoying issues immediately.

In v3 I had input some jazz guitar transcriptions but assigned the guitar instrument playback sound as piano (because the guitar sound is so horrible). I cannot find a way to do this in v4, which is really weird. (In v3 you can do this in the Mixer). I see someone has raised this today on their forum, so it's not just me!

Also if you hide a staff, it no longer plays back. I had some bass clef lines written out and used for a bassline playback only, I don't want them cluttering the score, so I hid them. In v3 you could still control whether they sound or not (in the mixer). But in v4 hiding the bass staff stops them playing back as well. None of the mixer controls seem to help.

So it looks as if the new mixer panel has lost some useful features.

I'll do some more digging, but I'll probably stick to V3 for the time being. I can always open stuff in V4 if it looks better for printing out.
    Last edited by grahambop; 12-18-2022 at 09:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Looks like there are no new saxes, only brass. I think it’s all free to download though.

Installing Muse Sounds | MuseScore

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Strbender
    I just installed it and it looks interesting. Do any of you use a midi keyboard for adding notes? I was using the drop down piano with V3 but it's a slow proccess.
    I tried to use a musical keyboard in MuseScore but I was getting an annoying audio slap-back echo (more of a note sounding twice than an echo as both had the same volume). I didn't try to find a resolution though but just gave up on entering notes that way. I really should try to figure that out. That attempt was on MuseScore 3.

In my DAW, Reaper, I've recorded melodies and chord parts from my keyboard, quantized to 100%, exported the midi, and then uploaded it to MuseScore. That works and gets me about 90% there as I still need to add grace notes, articulations, etc. in MuseScore. That is the best workflow that I've come up with, at least for me.

Note that if it's a piano part, I've had to play the left and right hand separately to separate Reaper tracks so as to get them on the correct piano staves.

I haven't tried MuseScore 4 yet.

User Info Menu

I found this... It was a huge task and overhaul to develop V4. I don't understand how the expenses where paid being and how this is a free product.

Last edited by fep; 12-18-2022 at 02:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Looks like there are no new saxes, only brass. I think it’s all free to download though.

Installing Muse Sounds | MuseScore
    saxes are in woodwind

User Info Menu

I love musescore. Have switched from finale for the most part.

I'm seeing lots of bug reports on the 4.0 release on their fb group though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I'm seeing lots of bug reports on the 4.0 release on their fb group though.
    Which is to be expected for a x.0 release. I followed their discussion about whether to require Qt 6 or keep supporting Qt 5. I can't remember or never saw the final decision, but if the former (or if the builds everyone uses use Qt 6) I would expect that a good number of bug reports are linked to that change. Major Qt release updates tend to be a PITA esp. if you use a lot of the more advance features.