The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Need some help here:

I'm looking for a small pair of top quality powered studio monitors to be used with a Fractal Audio FM3 guitar modeler. This is strictly for home use with a computer for recording.

Two brands I'm looking at are Neumann and Genelec.

Suggestions?

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Get on to Audio Science Review. A number of Genelecs and Neumanns have been reviewed there, but any model should be great with those two brands. I can't make a suggestion as I went for a cheaper option, the KRK Rokit 5 (based on their excellent measurements). They are great too. Do you need 5", 6" or larger speakers for a guitar solution ? I don't know, maybe head to The Gear Page to see what people are using that play through interfaces or modellers. I remember reading that 5" was enough, though.

User Info Menu

APS Klassic 2020 received excellent reviews.

User Info Menu

I strongly recommend JBL LSR305s. They’re 99.9% as fine as serious $1k+ studio monitors for about $135 each new. Reviews have been uniformly strong and positive since they came out - surprisingly rich but tight bass, clear uncolored mids, smooth natural highs, plenty of power, etc. I have 2 pairs in my studio and would buy more of the same if I needed them.

For reference, my passive monitors since 1976 have been a pair of Rogers LS3/5as, which are widely praised as among the best speakers of all time. The speakers in our living room system are Focal towers. The JBLs belong in that company. They’re so good that I haven’t used the Rogers since we moved to the apartment and am strongly considering selling them.
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 08-17-2022 at 03:44 PM.