The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

Any tips on one? I've been using GarageBand but would love something more lightweight and optimised for this use case.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Transcribe!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WILSON 1
    Transcribe!
    I'll also vote for Transcribe!
    Lots of Features like Looping, transposing, EQ etc.

User Info Menu

......the best of which is slowing tempo while retaining pitch.

I also recommend Transcribe. I've been using it for years, and it is reliable. Good luck!

User Info Menu

I bought Amazing Slow Downer years ago.

Worked fine for me. But, recently, I needed to move it to a new computer, and the company, which still exists, no longer supports it for the version I purchased.

I didn't recall any time limit on it when I bought it, so I wasn't pleased.

Now, I use Reaper, a full featured DAW. But, you can easily ignore all that other functionality. Import your mps, right click the tempo knob, click preserve pitch and then slow it down as much as you want. It will loop and do EQ too. It's not a standalone app like Transcribe, so the learning curve will be steeper, but it's not that bad. You can try it for free as long as you like and then buy it for $60, which seems like a bargain.

Not that you asked, but with a computer, Reaper, and a $100 interface, you have a genuine recording studio.

User Info Menu

I like using Soundslice for transcribing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I bought Amazing Slow Downer years ago.

Worked fine for me. But, recently, I needed to move it to a new computer, and the company, which still exists, no longer supports it for the version I purchased.

I didn't recall any time limit on it when I bought it, so I wasn't pleased.

Now, I use Reaper, a full featured DAW. But, you can easily ignore all that other functionality. Import your mps, right click the tempo knob, click preserve pitch and then slow it down as much as you want. It will loop and do EQ too. It's not a standalone app like Transcribe, so the learning curve will be steeper, but it's not that bad. You can try it for free as long as you like and then buy it for $60, which seems like a bargain.

Not that you asked, but with a computer, Reaper, and a $100 interface, you have a genuine recording studio.
    It is unfortunate that Amazing Slowdowner is no longer supported on PCs. I don't know if it is actively supported on Android tablets, but that app is excellent as is and I feel that the user interface is much better/improved on Android. You can use your fingers to drag the loop start and end points, the speed control, etc. Very well done and ideal for a touch screen. I load up my tablet with MP3s and Amazing Slowdowner and I am good to go. Since it runs on the Android platform, it also works quite well on those smartphones too. I have it on mine.

Tony
    Last edited by tbeltrans; 08-02-2022 at 08:31 PM.

User Info Menu

I have Amazing Slow Downer and use it on the phone. I actually like it better with the phone than my computer version.

User Info Menu

Audiostretch - allows you to work with audio or video files

ex. work flow - screen cap the portion you want to learn from a video/audio and open the app and work with it like Transcribe!

The lite version is free to try out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WILSON 1
    ......the best of which is slowing tempo while retaining pitch.
    Exactly. I’ve used it on piano for years.

User Info Menu

Soundslice has been transformative for me. After 20 years of not being able even remotely crack swing-era chord melody soloing... soundslice allowed me to plow through Allan Reuss and George Van Eps solos. Moreover, I've got a ton of confidence with them - what limited transcribing I've been able to do before soundslice still involved a lot of guess work.

It's web-based, and generally free, though you may want to subscribe to unlock certain extended features.
    I subscribe mostly for to use it for teaching purposes. They recently updated it with a microtune adjustment for recordings that aren't exactly tuned to A440, and the looping, slowdown and notation editors are all super easy to use and incredibly intutitive.

Seriously, though... LIFE CHANGING.

User Info Menu

In the past I was using amazing slow downer (and still do occasionally), but these days it's Anytune. The controls are a bit confusing (to me), but it's great.

User Info Menu

I did this vid several years ago for a local group so disregard some comments referring to producing the entire solo.

I think it's still relevant to the power of Transcribe! and usefulness of MuseScore a music software product.

Sorry about the length and poor audio.

https://youtu.be/a1S7-NGgPQk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    Soundslice has been transformative for me.
    <snip>
    and the looping, slowdown and notation editors are all super easy to use and incredibly intutitive.

Seriously, though... LIFE CHANGING.
    could you describe that process a bit more jonathan ?
    did you upload mp3s or youtube’s to
    soundslice ?
    and did soundslice generate notation for
    you ?
    how did it help you work out
    these chord solos ?

thanks Jonathan , i love your stuff

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    could you describe that process a bit more jonathan ?
    did you upload mp3s or youtube’s to
    soundslice ?
    and did soundslice generate notation for
    you ?
    how did it help you work out
    these chord solos ?

thanks Jonathan , i love your stuff

Here's a video that shows transcribing with Soundslice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Webby
    I'll also vote for Transcribe!
    Lots of Features like Looping, transposing, EQ etc.
    Totally agree!

User Info Menu

I also recommend Transcribe!

It's also a great practise tool where you can slow a tune or solo down and play along getting a little faster each time.

There are lots of tutorials online.

The money that I've made transcribing has paid for Transcribe! over again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by geese_com
    Here's a video that shows transcribing with Soundslice.

I was a Transcribe user, but spending just a little while with Soundslice tonight has converted me.

User Info Menu

Transcribe has been my preference and it will most likely remain so but has anyone here checked out apps that isolate tracks? I just dabbled with Moises and it's pretty impressive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    I was a Transcribe user, but spending just a little while with Soundslice tonight has converted me.
    I was using Transcribe prior to discovering Soundslice. Now I only use Soundslice. I was skeptical at first but converted.

Just last week I transcribed 3 solos. Super easy to use.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Transcribe has been my preference and it will most likely remain so but has anyone here checked out apps that isolate tracks? I just dabbled with Moises and it's pretty impressive.

I’ve been using Stemroller the past couple of weeks. Not perfect, but I’ve made some decent backing tracks with bass and drums taken directly from actual jazz performances. Sound quality hit is worth the trade-off to play along with Art Blakey and Paul Chambers.

User Info Menu

Just realized there is a Linux version of Transcribe!, have to check the demo.

If you like it free and open source then you might try Sonic Visualiser, “Initiated and developed in the Centre for Digital Music, Queen Mary University of London”.

I haven’t used it myself for transcription yet (my transcription app is called ears ) but it is recommended by the Jazzomat Research Project of the Hochschule für Musik FRANZ LISZT in Weimar, Germany.

There is a tutorial on their website: How to annotate solos using Sonic Visualiser — The Jazzomat Research Project

User Info Menu

Those who want to only slow things down and rely on their ears without any visual aids like FFT etc. could also abuse the free and open source DJ software MIXXX which simulates four record players and a DJ mixer (for transcribing you need of course only one player). It has a timestretch funktion (originally to adapt two or more soundfiles tempowise for mixing them) and you can set loop points.

If you are not afraid of the command line you could use the rubberband command line app which is also free and open source for stretching (and pitch shifting) audio files non-realtime (BTW Sonic Visualiser uses the rubberband algorithm as well). The developpers have some really good sounding examples made with the latest version on their website.

If you are not familiar with command line programs there is also an inexpensive app for realtime timestretching (and pitch shifting). You can download a free demo with reduced functionality to test the stretching and shifting capabilities.

User Info Menu

Here's an example of a transcription of Rocky Gresset playing "There Will Never Be Another You" that I did on Soundslice. The transcribing may not be 100% accurate, but I only really transcribe for my own learning purposes anyways.

There Will Never Be Another You - Rocky Gresset | Soundslice

Here's the YouTube video just in case anyone is interested: