The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

I wanted to try a different tuner app for my phone and stumbled on this one (Helix tuner) when looking to see if there was a “strobe” style one. The interface is unusual, but it seems to work remarkably intuitively and be very accurate. It won’t show you cents while using, but the reference pitch can be adjusted. The link is for the iPhone version, I don’t know if it’s available for android.

What are others using?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/helix-tuner/id1444576708

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have Peterson iStroboSoft. Works very well, but I dont use as much since I got the peterson clip

User Info Menu

Same.

User Info Menu

I use the Peterson HD clipon but when I want one on the iPad this does… everything?

TonalEnergy Tuner & Metronome on the App Store

User Info Menu

Cleartune

User Info Menu

+1 for iStroboSoft of Peterson.

User Info Menu

For those using the iStrobosoft: how do you get your electric guitar signal into the iPhone? Do you just use the built in mic to listen to your amp output? Needing a separate interface to get signal into the phone would probably push me towards using something else, as would inability to tune silently on stage. But a Peterson for only $9.99 USD is a great deal - probably good to have as a backup tuner. (The Peterson page does show an Android version, too, BTW.)
    Thanks
    SJ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    For those using the iStrobosoft: how do you get your electric guitar signal into the iPhone? Do you just use the built in mic to listen to your amp output? Needing a separate interface to get signal into the phone would probably push me towards using something else, as would inability to tune silently on stage. But a Peterson for only $9.99 USD is a great deal - probably good to have as a backup tuner. (The Peterson page does show an Android version, too, BTW.)
    Thanks
    SJ
    Yes, it use’s your phone’s mic. Simply tune away!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I wanted to try a different tuner app for my phone and stumbled on this one (Helix tuner) when looking to see if there was a “strobe” style one. The interface is unusual, but it seems to work remarkably intuitively and be very accurate. It won’t show you cents while using, but the reference pitch can be adjusted. The link is for the iPhone version, I don’t know if it’s available for android.

What are others using?

Helix Tuner on the App Store
    And it’s free! Not that I need it, but thx!

User Info Menu

I generally just use the phone's mic, it's good enough if it's quiet. I use the Android version. They do sell the PitchGrabber PitchGrabber Active Clip-On Pickup | Peterson Strobe Tuners and I have one, but find that it's more cumbersome than it's worth. It works well in noisy environments, but a clip on is far more practical. My PitchGrabber mostly just hangs around gathering dust. Having to get out the phone, connect it to both the phone and the headstock is bad enough, but then you have to put the phone down someplace where you can see it, because I can't hold the phone and tune at the same time. Perhaps it has some uses, I just haven't found many. It is good for setting intonation.

User Info Menu

They should make a clip on holder so we can put the iphone on the head of the guitar when tuning, would look really snazzy. Maybe something for Troy Grady to branch out to?

User Info Menu

I have used Pitch Lab Pro for the last 4-5 years. Very accurate. Available in Google Play.

Sendt fra min SM-X900 med Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohanAbrandt
    They should make a clip on holder so we can put the iphone on the head of the guitar when tuning, would look really snazzy. Maybe something for Troy Grady to branch out to?
    Then after you’re tuned you can switch it to irealpro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohanAbrandt
    $12 will get you one.

Tuner phone apps-e6d4bdf2-16b9-4cbc-b94d-d0628c332a44-jpeg

User Info Menu

I use this one for years now

?????????? ? Google Play – A-Tuner
    Attached Images Attached Images Tuner phone apps-unnamed-png 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Thanks
    SJ
    As others have noted, one uses the onboard cell phone's mic to tune with iStrobosoft, and therefore without the pitch grabber attachment (which I have and I believe have never used) one can't tune, say, a solid body electric guitar silently. But if the guitar has enough acoustic sound, the phone, placed closely, can pick it up sufficiently to tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ukena
    As others have noted, one uses the onboard cell phone's mic to tune with iStrobosoft, and therefore without the pitch grabber attachment (which I have and I believe have never used) one can't tune, say, a solid body electric guitar silently. But if the guitar has enough acoustic sound, the phone, placed closely, can pick it up sufficiently to tune.
    Most apps that access a phone’s mic can also access the external mic in an earbud set. So if you use the right cable or adapter, you should be able to plug your guitar directly into the phone and tune it. Most Android phones and tablets have a1/8” audio in-out jack. For iStuff, you need a Lightning-to-1/8” adapter. Then you can use either a 1/8”-to-1/4” cable or adapter to plug in directly.

EDIT: I just tried this with Helix Tuner on my iPhone 7 and it does not work. I’ll try other tuners and phones/tablets.
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 08-01-2022 at 06:11 PM.

User Info Menu

+ for Peterson’s iPhone app. Use the internal mic.
    Cleartone is great too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    + for Peterson’s iPhone app. Use the internal mic.
    Wow. Best $10 I ever spent. Sooooo much more accurate than the old analog meter I've used for so long. Thinking that a Peterson stompbox tuner is in my future, as well. I mean, I just have NO interest in using my old tuning meter now!

Odd: when tuning acoustically the B3 harmonic on my 6th E string overshadows the root - the Peterson reports B3 as the pitch. I don't actually hear this myself; i.e. the fundamental is the strongest pitch. No problem when amplified. Could be because the strings are old, because that's the way the phone "hears", maybe related to the brand (LaBella black tapes) or just some peculiar resonance of this instrument (I can get that same pitch to feed back pretty easily if I am facing the amp and hit the low E.)

Anyway, great bang for the buck, easy to use. And now I always have a tuner on my phone :-)

User Info Menu

My Pixel Android phone has only a USB-C jack, as is becoming more common, but it came with a USB-C/3.5mm adapter. I use it with my Sennheiser headphones sometimes, but more often I use bluetooth earbuds. Bluetooth is another way to connect to peripherals, but I don't know of any tuners with bluetooth. That would be a useful tool - something you can clip to the guitar, very small, no display, and have it connect wirelessly to a phone or tablet for the display.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I don't know of any tuners with bluetooth. That would be a useful tool - something you can clip to the guitar, very small, no display, and have it connect wirelessly to a phone or tablet for the display.
    Bluetune may be just what the doctor ordered, assuming it actually exists - I can't find a way to buy one on their website!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Bluetune may be just what the doctor ordered, assuming it actually exists - I can't find a way to buy one on their website!
    and googling "buy bluetune" turned up a number of bluetooth SPEAKERS, not this tuner! There is a support email at the bottom of their web page; maybe you could write to them...

User Info Menu

It comes up on Amazon, but listed as out of stock, unknown when/if it will be available. It might not have been actually produced, I don't know. It appears to be a Korean company, with some other products available. The YouTube videos are all unavailable. Probably not ready for prime time.

User Info Menu

I would think BlueTooth has too much lag to be useful as a tuner.

User Info Menu

There used to be terrible lag, but with the newest versions it's far better, at least good enough to get decent tuning, I should think.