The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

These are fun. Best app, and the Ribbecke guitar digs it too.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Love these loops! I recently used the ones for Freddie Freeloader and Watermelon Man in a live set. The Arabic and Turkish grooves are fun to noodle over, too.

User Info Menu

Totally agree about Drum Genius. And you and your Halfling sound terrific.

Also want to give a shout out to Genius Jamtracks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPadd
    Love these loops! I recently used the ones for Freddie Freeloader and Watermelon Man in a live set. The Arabic and Turkish grooves are fun to noodle over, too.
    thanks, I’ll have to try some of those. Odd meter?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ukena
    Totally agree about Drum Genius. And you and your Halfling sound terrific.

Also want to give a shout out to Genius Jamtracks.
    just downloaded Genius Jamtracks
    (for £10 to my iphone)
    It’s very easy to use at a basic level and
    yes it seems to swing more naturally
    than irealb

lovely

thanks a lot for the heads up Ukena

User Info Menu

Fabulous Mark
    An excellent free form noodle indeed !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    thanks, I’ll have to try some of those. Odd meter?
    Some of the grooves are odd or lopsided groupings of 2s and 3s, patterns like 3-4-4 or 2-2-3-2, etc.

BTW, nice playing and great tone!

User Info Menu

Drum Genius is very cool!

For some rhythmic ear-training, also check out Krantz' "Humanome!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Fabulous Mark
    An excellent free form noodle indeed !
    mucho thanks!

User Info Menu

Superb noodling indeed. Drums quite inspiring but bring to mind that a very good friend of mine is also an excellent drummer-who once had a tiff with Al di Meola without ever drumming for him. But he doesn’t want to play drums and may well stay in this state for a few years. Good drummers bring such a great structure to a piece!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I've used Drum Genius for years, after it was independently recommended by two of my jazz piano teachers for practicing unusual time signatures and general time feel. I recommend getting the full set of patterns. One thing I like to do is to capture a drum pattern in my DAW (Logic Pro), add my own bass lines for particular tunes, and loop as backing for working on tunes on piano or guitar or both. These drum loops have a feel that I find to be hip and inspiring....Alternatively, it doesn't get much easier than pulling out your phone, picking a pattern from Drum Genius and having a great rhythmic feel to accompany whatever you're working on with your instrument.

User Info Menu

I just bought a Digitech Tri, I have a Boss drum machine and a 404 sampler. Guess I’m getting the drum genius app as well. This thing called drums…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tnelson
    One thing I like to do is to capture a drum pattern in my DAW (Logic Pro), add my own bass lines for particular tunes, and loop as backing for working on tunes on piano or guitar or both. These drum loops have a feel that I find to be hip and inspiring....
    hey, can you give me some advice about how to get the loops from Drumgenius into Logic?? Thanks man!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lozgarratt
    hey, can you give me some advice about how to get the loops from Drumgenius into Logic?? Thanks man!
    There may be simpler ways to do this, but I connect my iPhone (Drumgenius source) to my Mac (Logic) via USB cable, go to Audio/MIDI Setup on the Mac, select the iPhone as audio device and click on Enable. Now your iPhone is another available audio source for Logic on the Mac.

User Info Menu

How do you get the loops not to drift in the DAW? Do you just record them for the whole song? I would love to get the DG loops into my RC600, but they end up drifting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by st.bede
    How do you get the loops not to drift in the DAW? Do you just record them for the whole song? I would love to get the DG loops into my RC600, but they end up drifting.
    I’ve had that problem too, I don’t think the tempos in drumgenius are 100% accurate if you play the loops for a long time.

I use Reaper as my DAW, so I get round it by recording the loop only a few times then fitting it to the tempo grid in Reaper, if necessary I push/pull it until it fits exactly (Reaper has a very good tempo stretch effect), then trim it to end exactly at the end of a bar.

Then I just press Ctrl D several times to duplicate the drum audio segment to the end of the project, as long as you got the initial segment right then it aligns perfectly all the way to the end.

User Info Menu

Thank you very much grahambop. I did not know about Reaper’s time stretching.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by st.bede
    Thank you very much grahambop. I did not know about Reaper’s time stretching.
    AFAIK Reaper has even several timestretch algos to choose from so you can compare which one is best suited for percussive non-harmonic stuff like drum-loops.

User Info Menu

I just use the one where you do Alt+left click at the tail end of the audio segment and a little ‘grab hand’ appears, then you just drag left or right to adjust the segment to fit, as required.
    Last edited by grahambop; 01-27-2024 at 02:28 PM.

User Info Menu

sounds great. Very methenyesque.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I just use the one where you do Alt+left click at the tail end of the audio segment and a little ‘grab hand’ appears, then you just drag left or right to adjust the segment to fit, as required.
    That is the general approach. But somewhere in the program you can choose which of the different time stretching algorithms is used.

User Info Menu

Is it possible in drum genius to have it play a bar or 2 and then pause for the same amount to work on your internal time? Or is it possible in any other easily accessible app?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Is it possible in drum genius to have it play a bar or 2 and then pause for the same amount to work on your internal time? Or is it possible in any other easily accessible app?
    The iOS app Time Guru does this with metronome.

User Info Menu

It seems to mute just individual random beats rather than a whole section or bar. I'm looking for something that plays a bar and then is tacet for a bar. It does allow the tempo to go super slow so I can put the click on only 1 beat per bar, that's helpful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    It seems to mute just individual random beats rather than a whole section or bar. I'm looking for something that plays a bar and then is tacet for a bar. It does allow the tempo to go super slow so I can put the click on only 1 beat per bar, that's helpful.
    You can do it in Time Guru, simply define 4 beats on, followed by 4 beats rest, for example. (Or just about any other permutation of beats and rests you can think of). It’s very versatile.