The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Anybody know where I can find instructions, videos or something on how to use the BIAB notation imput screen. I found an old youtube video but it doesn't help. I am trying to imput this melody from a Jazz Waltz and am having terrible time. I thought it would be pretty straight forward in 3/4 time with one exception (bar 8). Perhaps, no one uses BIAB for notation. If so, please tell me. I think I may try to export the song in XML and use Musescore. Is that a better way?

I cannot get dotted quarter notes in 3/4 time. I get either a half note and a quarter or three quarters. Thanks....JD

Notation Function For BIAB-nola2-pngNotation Function For BIAB-nola-png

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

First, disconnect tripple resolution in the options.
    The first note for the time / first beat /, the second note for the second 8th from the second beat.
    Maybe this help.

User Info Menu

I've been using XML to get things in and out of Musescore. Works fine.

Musescore is free and reasonably intuitive. There are lots of answered questions (I use google, typing in the question and the word Musescore), so that nothing has been hard to figure out.

I guess the question is can you write it in Musescore and get it imported to BIAB without trouble?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    First, disconnect tripple resolution in the options.
    The first note for the time / first beat /, the second note for the second 8th from the second beat.
    Maybe this help.
    Couldn't find disconnect. Was able to get dotted quarter and then I could get the remaining notes to tie. Isn't a tied eight and quarter the same as a dotted quarter? Maybe I can't replicate the sheet music the way I want.Notation Function For BIAB-nola3-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I've been using XML to get things in and out of Musescore. Works fine.

Musescore is free and reasonably intuitive. There are lots of answered questions (I use google, typing in the question and the word Musescore), so that nothing has been hard to figure out.

I guess the question is can you write it in Musescore and get it imported to BIAB without trouble?
    Thanks RP. I tried importing into Musiscore and it did import. However, it came in as 4/4 time and I could not change time to 3/4. I only imported the melody staff. Will keep playing with it and then see if I can import back into BIAB.

The song is called Nola's Waltz and it won the Young Jazz Composer's Award of 2005. It's by Bob Borgstede and he used to be my instructor. I wanted to give it a try in BIAB.

JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by donojazz62220
    Couldn't find disconnect. Was able to get dotted quarter and then I could get the remaining notes to tie. Isn't a tied eight and quarter the same as a dotted quarter? Maybe I can't replicate the sheet music the way I want.Notation Function For BIAB-nola3-png
    notation-opt.-cancel tripple resolution-you will get four 16s on one beat...
    on your pic .you have 3 notes on one beat.

User Info Menu

Yeah, but this is a waltz in 3/4 - 3 quarter notes to a bar. I would be changing it to 4/4.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by donojazz62220
    Yeah, but this is a walz in 3/4 - 3 quarter notes to a bar. I would be changing it to 4/4.
    no....change only triplle resolution-cancel swing/ and you will get 4 notes instead of 3 notes for one quater./one beat/-there are 3 beats in measure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    no....change only triplle resolution-cancel swing/ and you will get 4 notes instead of 3 notes for one quater./one beat/-there are 3 beats in measure.
    Got it Kris, thanks. I unchecked the box.

Notation Function For BIAB-nola5-png

I still cannot generate 2 dotted quarter notes in a measure, but I now have resolution of 4. I guess, I live with tied eighth and quarter notes representing a dotted quarter in BIAB. But I don't have any idea how to get 4 quarter notes in the Bb13 measure. I guess that is/was a "quadralet" (4 notes in a 3/4 measure).

Notation Function For BIAB-mola4-png

User Info Menu

4 bar...four equal quarter notes in a one bar.Each note must have a value of three 16's.
    I can put it in BB, but poor notation simplifies it and automatically makes a mistake - although it sounds good.
    Last edited by kris; 07-06-2022 at 12:35 AM.

User Info Menu

You might try going to the PG Music forum and asking your question. Some staffers are forum members and will probably jump in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    You might try going to the PG Music forum and asking your question. Some staffers are forum members and will probably jump in.
    Thanks. I have done that already. No BIAB staffers, but a lot of vetrans and experts. No one has come up with a solution. I have one more idea to try. Go to 6/8 time and see if that might change something.

User Info Menu

I have only an older version of BiaB. But hopefully it'll work in you version as well.

To achieve what you want:

Right click in the position ruler (red circle) and you'll get the dialog that is visible in the picture.

Now you can determine the amount of resolution per beat (1/4 Note)

Notation Function For BIAB-bb-jpg

User Info Menu

In case I misunderstood what you want. I'd never try to do scoring in BiaB, pain in the ear....

I do everything in Musescore, works like a charm, is free BTW...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    In case I misunderstood what you want. I'd never try to do scoring in BiaB, pain in the ear....

I do everything in Musescore, works like a charm, is free BTW...
    DonEsteban,

I tried all the BIAB resolution changes that were available in the program and nothing worked. I agree that I cannot do what I want in BIAB. I cannot represent a dotted quarter as second half of the CMaj7 bar or the A-9 bar. It will have to be a tied eighth note to a quarter note. And for the Bb13 bar, I cannot create a quadruplet with 4 quarter motes against a 3/4 bar.

"
    Definition of Quadruplet: A quadruplet is a note-grouping of four, played in the length of three of its note-type. "

I have imported the xml file into MuseScore and converted to 3/4 time, but don't still think it supports quadruplets either, not in free notation software.

I think my friend, Bob. wrote the score using Sibelius. I don't want to spend $600 just to make the score look exactly like his. I can live with the notes offered up by BIAB as "close enough for melody work."

Thanks for taking the time to respond......JD

I may have to live with this:
    Notation Function For BIAB-close-png
    Last edited by donojazz62220; 07-07-2022 at 06:24 PM.

User Info Menu

I said Musescore. I made this in under 60 seconds:

It took me longer to upload the JPG than to enter the notes.
    Notation Function For BIAB-nola-jpg

User Info Menu

Same thing but with chords in Realbook style... another 60 seconds spent...

Notation Function For BIAB-nola2-jpg

Edit: scrap 60. make that 15 sec.
    Last edited by DonEsteban; 07-08-2022 at 05:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    Same thing but with chords in Realbook style... another 60 seconds spent...

Notation Function For BIAB-nola2-jpg

Edit: scrap 60. make that 15 sec.
    Wow! That's great! THanks! Moving to MuseScore.

Could you check to see if the score would export xml and then import to BIAB. I really have some styles I would like to use. I may come back to you for some questions, if that's all right. Thanks again. JD

User Info Menu

DonEstaban,

You were right. It was pretty easy to recreate score in MuseScore.

I then exported to BIAB and it would not carry the quarter note in the same Bb13 measure. It pushed the note to next measure. I will keep playing with it though and see what happens with the whole score. I may just change the Bb13 measure to fit the 3/4 time.

Notation Function For BIAB-biab-import1-png

Notation Function For BIAB-biab-import2-png
    Attached Images Attached Images Notation Function For BIAB-musescore-good-png Notation Function For BIAB-biab-import1-png 
    Last edited by donojazz62220; 07-08-2022 at 01:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Hello

I have the feeling that one thing is not quite clear.

BiaB is primarily, or one could say exclusively there to produce sounds. So backing tracks or anything else. The notation function there is rather a way to serve as as a note input or just to check what is playing. But BiaB has never sold itself as "notation software" it is not one, period.

With Musescore it is exactly the other way around. Sure, you can also play chord symbols with piano sound, but nobody in his right mind would think of creating a backing track with this Musescore function. [Edit] Of course you can compose and enter a backing track in MS, but that's not the topic here.

Maybe it's time to get used to using both.

MS for the printed notes. And BiaB for the audio files a.k.a backing tracks.

Cheers

BTW. In this case I'd go for MID files as transfer media not XML... MID files transport the music in pure form, XML files transport the "look" more than the music..
    Last edited by DonEsteban; 07-15-2022 at 04:56 PM.

User Info Menu

I agree wholeheartedly.

User Info Menu

I did a lot of the backing for this track with Musescore. The trick to getting to sound less mechanical is to edit the Musescore file and vary things.
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

I use Sibelius /first/ or GuitarPro for more complicated notation stuff.
    Band in the box is exelect for practising tunes and notation never was this software's strong point.
    New BB versions improve it a bit, but that's not enough.
    I have been using BB since the beginning of the 90's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I did a lot of the backing for this track with Musescore. The trick to getting to sound less mechanical is to edit the Musescore file and vary things.
    I was referring to the automatic part. Since BiaB generates the tracks automatically.

Musescore also plays chords automatically if you enter chord symbols and activate that function. But you wouldn't use that as a backing track, would you?

Of course you can use MS as full featured composition software that you can write (and output) manually written music e.g. backing tracks and more.

I do it all the time. But for production I transfer it to reaper using MIDI files. The production possibilities there exceed MS's by far.