The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieAG
    I still have a lot of valuable content on cassette tape (I've converted some of it to digital). All of my old cassette decks no longer worked (these were good quality stereo decks). I tried fixing one of them with new belts, but failed. I also tried to fix my old Sony Walkman with built in stereo mics, but that went nowhere either. They don't seem to last like other vintage audio equipment, and most are not worth repairing (that rules out finding one at a thrift store). The new ones that are available are not of high quality. Maybe someone will start making good ones. Fortunately, I was able to get a good used Yamaha unit off Craigslist that's still working. Hopefully it will continue to do so for quite a while.
    Not so fast about ruling out cassette machines from thrift stores. The units I picked up are not stereo components, but instead those portable units that take batteries. These should be sufficient for the OP's stated needs. In a thrift store, you can bring along a cassette tape and try the unit before buying. That rules out the non-working machines, and based on my experience, good ones can be found. Making a blanket statement that all these portable cassette machines found in thrift stores are good, would be a disservice to the OP and just plain wrong. So is your statement ruling out thrift stores based on your experience which doesn't include the portable machines anyway.

Personally, I feel that for the OP's needs, the applications and handheld digital recording devices should suffice, but if the OP wants a cassette machine, it certainly doesn't hurt to look around in local thrift shops for a battery operated and plug-in portable unit.

Tony

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, the cassette player/recorder came in. Terrible sound quality as far as recording goes. I think it may have been recording the wind from a nearby fan. But, I can hear what I played. I can even stop and make a comment, like, "with this next lick I will go from position 2, Bb7, and use the arpeggiated notes from the Bo7 in then next measure. This will be very useful. I can go back and play over the measure until it sounds good, with minimal fuss.

I will give you a sample later.

Here is the one that I bought:

Amazon.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    I have been recording myself improvising - the good and the bad. I use a simple little digital recorder, not the fancy 4 track ones.
    My complaint is that when I hit stop, then that is it for that file. When I start again, it gives me a new one. An old fashioned cassette recorder, while lacking in quality gives me more control.
    It's a conceptual thing. Even a simple program like Audacity does not record to the final file. It records audio segments as part of a collection called a 'Project'. Recorded segments of sound are organised over multiple tracks, all graphically arranged on the screen. Typical mode of operation is that every time you hit record, it starts a new track and records from the time position where you are currently. This effectively "adds" the new bit onto the end. You can then keep or delete the new bit, without effect anything else (or you can just mute it).

When everything is done annd it plays back they way you want it (playing all unmuted multiple tracks), you export the project to the final single file (mp3 or wave or whatever desired), keeping all the project data in case you want to change it in the future.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by j4zz
    It's a conceptual thing. Even a simple program like Audacity does not record to the final file. It records audio segments as part of a collection called a 'Project'. Recorded segments of sound are organised over multiple tracks, all graphically arranged on the screen. Typical mode of operation is that every time you hit record, it starts a new track and records from the time position where you are currently. This effectively "adds" the new bit onto the end. You can then keep or delete the new bit, without effect anything else (or you can just mute it).

When everything is done annd it plays back they way you want it (playing all unmuted multiple tracks), you export the project to the final single file (mp3 or wave or whatever desired), keeping all the project data in case you want to change it in the future.
    That was one good explanation. I understand a little better how this thing works. I understand the advantages, but for now, I am just streaming, noodling, taping over things for 30 minutes or so. This Cassette recorder is just the thing,

User Info Menu

Here is a sample. I just sat down, turned on the metronome, and hit the record button. Even without the fan on, it hisses a lot, and I had to lower the volume of the amp so as to not overload the recorder's mic. But, it gave me what I needed. Sit down, press button, play, press stop. Barely a minute. I can rewind and play in any spot to spice up the recording.

Anyway, forgive this ol' dinosaur and his outdated ways. Here is the sample:

User Info Menu

Fep,
    I installed that "free" app, Cassette Recorder Pro. When I press play and record something, and then hit stop, I can't come back and continue recording to that audio file (as far as I can see). When I hit record again, it creates a new audio file. So I don't think it was what I needed.

But is does record well and quietly, and you can do things with that audio file, which is good.

Cassette Recorder Pro - Apps on Google Play

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Here is a sample. I just sat down, turned on the metronome, and hit the record button. Even without the fan on, it hisses a lot, and I had to lower the volume of the amp so as to not overload the recorder's mic. But, it gave me what I needed. Sit down, press button, play, press stop. Barely a minute. I can rewind and play in any spot to spice up the recording.

Anyway, forgive this ol' dinosaur and his outdated ways. Here is the sample:

that really nails that ’historic Charlie Christian broadcast recorded on wonky recording machine’ vibe!

User Info Menu

i would try to get a digital recorder with pause/continue feature.

I am really glad the casette era is over. For me, listening mainly acoustic music, jazz, classical it was always a poor replacement for lp, a symbol for compromised bad cheapo replacement. Actually even the priciest equipment was very poor compared to lp. Not talking about the different dolby's, the different tape types, chrome, metal etc. That was the literal cheapo quality word for high prices. I admit, in cars there was no alternative, but when I got my first car a few years later the CD was available in cars...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor

I am really glad the casette era is over. For me, listening mainly acoustic music, jazz, classical it was always a poor replacement for lp, a symbol for compromised bad cheapo replacement. Actually even the priciest equipment was very poor compared to lp. Not talking about the different dolby's, the different tape types, chrome, metal etc. That was the literal cheapo quality word for high prices. I admit, in cars there was no alternative, but when I got my first car a few years later the CD was available in cars...
    Ha, ha. I hear you, Gabor. Many artists have sensitive ears, and the hiss and low fidelity of a cassette can be very annoying.

I am just using it for practice so it suffices for now. I am enjoying the ease of use very much.

User Info Menu

Cassette recorders are handy as notebooks and as such are useful tools. Whatever works, sez I!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    FWIW, the “record” button is also a “pause” button on most of them. Pressing it once while recording will pause it, and pressing it again will begin recording from the point at which it stopped.

User Info Menu

Actually I understand what you mean - I have always problems with digital stuff that it is not material (books, music files, guitar processors) - too many options and no basic physical control...

I hate looking for a place I need in e-books, I want just regular pages in hands, I can't handle guitar processors for more than 10 minutes because I can't see the real chain of effects and gear, it is somewhere but it is nowhere... and with digital recorders - at the end of the day I can work only when the file is on the computer where there is at least visiable track and mover...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Actually I understand what you mean - I have always problems with digital stuff that it is not material (books, music files, guitar processors) - too many options and no basic physical control...

I hate looking for a place I need in e-books, I want just regular pages in hands, I can't handle guitar processors for more than 10 minutes because I can't see the real chain of effects and gear, it is somewhere but it is nowhere... and with digital recorders - at the end of the day I can work only when the file is on the computer where there is at least visiable track and mover...

I have to chuckle because it's clear many of the other posters think I am a little crazy for not going digital with these quick practice sessions. Here are the downsides, in my situation.

1) I don't have a truly dedicated guitar space, so I have to pull equipment out and then put it away.

2) I hate messing with cables when going directly in. I can't count how many times I have pulled the Boss MicroBR off the table because I was shifting. I once used velcro but that makes other problems.

3). Sometimes, I have too many things to plug in, and those boss adapters take up too much space on my power strip and outlets.

4). I have to search through menus and look through a song list, rather than just plug and play

5). I can pick up right where I left off, almost instantaneously with the cassette, not as easy with digital

6). I don't fill up the limited space on my SD cards in my digital recorders. I can't upgrade mine because it won't take SD cards that are too large.

7). Sadly, I am almost always multi-tasking. So I have to be able to get up and check on dinner or move the water hose, or interact with family (that is normally a good thing, lol).

User Info Menu

On both my Tascam recorder and the record app on my phone, the Record button is a combo record/pause button. Press the record button while recording, and the recording is just paused, and pressing it again starts recording again, in the same place, just like with a cassette. If you're pressing the Stop button, you're doing it wrong. But if an obsolete cassette tape works for you, drive on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    On both my Tascam recorder and the record app on my phone, the Record button is a combo record/pause button. Press the record button while recording, and the recording is just paused, and pressing it again starts recording again, in the same place, just like with a cassette. If you're pressing the Stop button, you're doing it wrong. But if an obsolete cassette tape works for you, drive on.
    Well, you confirmed what some of the others have said. I will keep this in mind for sure, as my Boss MicroBR also does this.

Thanks for being another sane voice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    The hardest part will be finding cassettes to put in it!
    I have a lot of them...but I am not sure about quality of them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah

Resistance is useless :-)

In this context I like this version of Hitchhiker's more than Star Treks "Resistance is futile"
    because I mean not the hopeless (as futile) instead I believe it is contraproductive (useless)

Developing resistance based on emotional reasons against objects may be very human, but inevitably leads to a self amplifying circle. "again". In the developed stage one can say, "this computer hates me", and mean it :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    The hardest part will be finding cassettes to put in it!
    Compact Cassettes – Thomann UK