The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

I am looking for a free metronome App for iPad. What do you use? Recommendation?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use "Tempo" - on my iPhone but it must work on an iPad too. Does way more than I'll ever use, probably.

User Info Menu

Pro Metronome is my favorite. There is a free version, but it's been so long since I bought everything I could in that app that I have no idea what they charge for an upgrade - as I recall, however, the free version offered most, if not all, basic functions needed:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/pro-me...hm/id477960671

User Info Menu

For what I need TempoPerfect is just perfect. It's old, simple and easy to handle ....

User Info Menu

GarageBand is included for free.

User Info Menu

This one works pretty good if you aren't put off by it being geared to bass players: SBL Groove Trainer on the App Store

User Info Menu

Metronome Plus with its upgrade is an excellent tool, programmable to accelerate tempos at the number of BPM and number of measures you choose. Lots of sounds and time signatures available as well, and very inexpensive. I've used mine daily for years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by v281
    Pro Metronome is my favorite. There is a free version, but it's been so long since I bought everything I could in that app that I have no idea what they charge for an upgrade - as I recall, however, the free version offered most, if not all, basic functions needed:

Pro Metronome - Tempo,Beat,Subdivision,Polyrhythm on the App Store
    Same here. I tried many, and settled with this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by swingtoneman
    I am looking for a free metronome App for iPad. What do you use? Recommendation?
    I use Soundbrenner (iPhone and iPad), free version works nicely

User Info Menu

Just food for thought: I bought my Matrix MR-500 quartz metronome in 1972. . . 50 years of untold hours and still ticking.
    Marinero

Many thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.

User Info Menu

What is everyone's thoughts on playing to a metronome vs. Drum Genius?

Drum Genius is definitely easier to groove to so does that mean playing to a metronome is more beneficial?

I wonder what Emily Remler would have thought about Drum Genius?

User Info Menu

My teacher showed me the trick to set the metronome to half or whole notes depending on the tempo. That forces you to keep time on your own a bit more instead of "riding on the tails" of the metronome. Drum track is more fun but can also be considered cheating a bit.

User Info Menu

Being old I like separate devices for tuning, metronoming and texting.
    I still have my Thomas 1966 vacuum tube metronome
    But if I were gigging again yep that iPad idea is good.

Had a prof that told us every song/piece has an “inner beat” that’s either faster or slower than the apparent time signature. And it’s that inner beat that drives a piece forward in a pace and style appropriate. He was adamant that the time signature/metronome time was just a guide, to really play you need to ID the inner beat that satisfies you. And, in his idea, the inner beat could be a sub or super division of the written time.
    Example would be a jazz waltz in 3/4, but you feel a strong 1….1….1….1 (think Gravy Waltz). Playing that in 3/4 results in a stultifying Lawrence Welk sound. ‘And a 1,2,3 1,2,3’
    Since it was primarily a classical course he drove us insane trying to split Bach keyboard sonatas into sub beats under the time signature. Darn if he wasn’t right, that the Bach inner beat is actually above the written signature and makes the piece come alive.

In my church organ days I made the mistake of telling a Priest that I was playing a hymn in one not three. He being a kind, caring soul told the Director of Music I was refusing to play things as written. She eventually fired me for not playing hymns as written. Witch.

User Info Menu

nice simple one ‘metro timer’

pro metronome is cool

just downloaded Tempo
    which is nice and clear and you
    can see beats 1 2 3 4 layed out
    in a line