The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have just started using jjazzlab. JJazzLab It works very similarly to Band in a Box. It will even import BIAB songs. It can use Yamaha style files. The user interface is very professional and much easier to find things than BIAB. It is donationware. There is a nag screen at startup, but a very small donation will get you a code for a year.

I decided to try it, mostly at first, because it runs natively on Windows, Linux, and MacOS. I am finding it simpler and easier to use and find the stuff I need to create good backing tracks. Of course, it does not have all the many many features and frills of BIAB, but it does have all the core stuff that is really needed.
    Last edited by j4zz; 04-26-2022 at 07:18 PM. Reason: add URL

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's seems very interesting, I have to try it. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Laro
    It's seems very interesting, I have to try it. Thank you!
    I can't stop playing with it. I have been importing lots of BIAB stuff, plus putting in some new ones. There's lots of good styles, especially that you can download from the net that are aimed at the Yamaha machines.

Be sure to download and load the jjazzlab soundfont into the synth. The default one that the java synth uses is VERY basic. Of course if you are feeding it into a midi device, or softsynth like Fluidsynth, that is probably a bit better again.

User Info Menu

I had heard about this lately - thanks for the heads up!

User Info Menu

wow...will try it .. Yamaha styles are tops...specially keyboards....not disgrunted BB user but change is good...and a challenge of course...ty

Quote Originally Posted by voxo
    wow...will try it .. Yamaha styles are tops...specially keyboards....not disgrunted BB user but change is good...and a challenge of course...ty
    After about a day, I finding many quality styles, and I think it is easier to put together a good sounding track, than in BIAB (which I stopped upgrading about 2010)

User Info Menu

Easy to install on Linux too.

Download the JJazzlab installation zip file.
    https://www.jjazzlab.com/pkg/JJazzLab-3.2.1-Linux.zip

Unzip the file.

Execute JJazzLab using bin/jjazzlab in the unzipped directory.