The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Hi.
    I really dont now much about the options for recording in this day an age but I have an ipad and often video myself practicing or playing something but I just use the mic on the ipad.
    I would like to improve the audio quality im not fussed about the video quality. I use a kemper so wondered if it would be possible to take a signal from that into the ipad and use that as the audio source for the videos. Is that even possible. My ipad is old I think ios 10 but I would consider getting a newer one if necessary or is it possible on a laptop?
    I would just use the videos for my own reference but it would be cool if the sound was much better. Im not after studio standard, just an improvement on what I have. Cheers for any help, much appreciated

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My iPad Pro powers a a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 and its 48v phantom for two small diaphragm condensers. A trick I read is to start the camera app and set it to video before making the connection to the Scarlett. Works a treat. Totally portable recording with no external power required. I have a 2019 iPad Pro and keep the iOS up to date.

Don’t know if this helps. Just doing a knowledge/experience dump. Maybe tangential.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Heybopper
    Hi.
    I really dont now much about the options for recording in this day an age but I have an ipad and often video myself practicing or playing something but I just use the mic on the ipad.
    I would like to improve the audio quality im not fussed about the video quality. I use a kemper so wondered if it would be possible to take a signal from that into the ipad and use that as the audio source for the videos. Is that even possible. My ipad is old I think ios 10 but I would consider getting a newer one if necessary or is it possible on a laptop?
    I would just use the videos for my own reference but it would be cool if the sound was much better. Im not after studio standard, just an improvement on what I have. Cheers for any help, much appreciated
    I don’t know much about Kemper products, but I do know that the Profiler has a USB output. If that’s what you have, you should be able to capture your audio from it with an iPad “camera adapter”. These are inexpensive dongles with a USB input and a Lightning jack so you can power it with your iPad power supply to keep from running down the iPad battery while recording.

User Info Menu

It should be possible to do what you say, we had a thread on this a while back. If you can get a guitar signal into the ipad lightning connector (I use a Line6 Pod for this), then switch to the Camera app, the video should use the guitar input instead of the internal mic.

Hi thanks for the info I should have said I need two inputs. One from the kemper and one from the laptop playing the backing track. Ill look into the focusritei think that will do the job good enough. Thanks for the advice cheers

User Info Menu

Found this article about using the focusrite with older ipads:

Security check

User Info Menu

Hi thanks for the info I should have said I need two inputs. One from the kemper and one from the laptop playing the backing track. Ill look into the focusritei think that will do the job good enough. Thanks for the advice cheers
    Use a dual USB to Lightning adapter like this one:

How to get decent audio quality for ipad videos-53241971-6a01-4f7f-b6cf-ed8c7a2d7478-jpeg

Hi thanks for all the help and for your time its much appreciated. Im thinking of the focusrite itrack solo. It says no software is needed and then I might get a small mixer as it only has 1 line and 1 mic input. They seem very cheap second hand. Many thanks again. cheers

User Info Menu

Hi thanks for all the help and for your time its much appreciated. Im thinking of the focusrite itrack solo. It says no software is needed and then I might get a small mixer as it only has 1 line and 1 mic input. They seem very cheap second hand. Many thanks again. cheers
    I assumed you wanted a simple way to get the output from your Kemper into your iPad. If you’re willing to buy another piece of equipment, the new Roland Go mixer is made for iPad and will make it easy for you to get great videos. It will take up to 7 sources, so you can run your backing track(s) plus your guitar directly into it. The preamps are more than decent. The fanciest one is under $150 USD and the simpler model is less. Unless you need a DAI for some reason, this is what I’d buy.

How to get decent audio quality for ipad videos-d458f300-badb-451f-8395-6e5160ea70c3-jpeg
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 04-18-2022 at 07:51 PM.

User Info Menu

From what I read in the OP you're basically looking to replace the iThing's internal microphone(s) with a better alternative, so why not buy just that?

Best External Microphones For iPhone (X,11,12) & iOS (Lightning & TRRS) 2022