The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

Don't want to break the bank, just wondering if it will improve my wife's vocals better than our Shure SM58 an EV457 (an awesome dynamic mic). Just something for singing into a full range amp and some simple recording. Here's what we've been using. Excuse the computer workstation mess, we've been working in a theater show for 4 weeks and things are out of control:

Recommendations for an inexpensive condenser mic?-piano-jpeg
    Recommendations for an inexpensive condenser mic?-piano2-jpg
    Recommendations for an inexpensive condenser mic?-studioagain-jpg
    Recommendations for an inexpensive condenser mic?-studioagain2-jpg
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 03-20-2022 at 09:37 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Origin

The Aston Origin is pretty good for the price. Check it out.

User Info Menu

The CAD M179 is a pretty good large diaphragm budget condenser mic. The variable pattern makes it very versatile, since you can adjust continuously from omni through hyper-cardioid. Like any condenser it needs phantom power. It draws more current than most condensers, but that would only be a problem if you had a poor quality preamp or long cable runs. I have one and I like it.
    (M179 | CAD AUDIO)

User Info Menu

For vocals I use an SM57. The condenser mic is too prone to feed back. For the acoustics I use a pair of AT4041s. About 500 for the pair so I assume about 250 for one.

User Info Menu

My wife loves the Heil PR30 for vocals. It’s an exceptional mic for the price, and is remarkably ribbon-like for a dynamic mic. It’s touted as “the perfect replacement for 30-year-old condenser technology.”

Heil Sound PR 30 Large-Diaphragm Multipurpose Dynamic Microphone | Musician's Friend

User Info Menu

A mic that works well for recording may not work very well through the amp. In addition, a mic that works well for recording a soprano may not work as well for recording an alto. For recording, vocal personality can make a difference. For recording, I would always choose a condenser mic over a dynamic mic. And buying an inexpensive small-diaphragm condenser is basically a waste of money; anything under $300 will sound disappointing. A decent large-diaphragm condenser can be had for under $200.

It is true that there is a risk of feedback when plugging a condenser mic into an amp, but I gig with a large condenser plugged into my Bud 6 with no feedback (and a hollow-body plugged into the other channel) – just be mindful of placement. That said, the dynamic SM58 is the workhorse of live vocal use, found in pretty much every jazz club. But if you don't like the sound of your wife's voice through one, that doesn't make much difference. The Sennheiser E835 (around $99 at Sweetwater) gets good marks for live female voices, as does the AKG D5 ($89 on Amazon).

My recommendation would be to buy a couple of mics from someplace with a good return policy, and try them out. Then you can find one that works for your specific application.

User Info Menu

Another vote for the Sennheiser 835, more clear and natural sounding than the SM58.

User Info Menu

I find dynamics flat and uninspiring for vocals unless you spice them up with some processing. Even relatively inexpensive condensers are more rewarding to sing into.

Which condenser would depend a bit on the voice and personal taste. Even a used AT2020 is a great improvement over SM58 to me. But they can be a bit harsh / sibilant.

There are probably some good comparison videos of 58 vs inexpensive condensers. If you know what you're missing with 58 then try to check those and get something used from a respectable brand. Don't think you have to pay $300 to get a decent quality.

Feedback might be an issue if you're doing to blast monitors or PA nearby.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    The CAD M179 is a pretty good large diaphragm budget condenser mic. The variable pattern makes it very versatile, since you can adjust continuously from omni through hyper-cardioid. Like any condenser it needs phantom power. It draws more current than most condensers, but that would only be a problem if you had a poor quality preamp or long cable runs. I have one and I like it.
    (M179 | CAD AUDIO)
    Multi pattern sounds cool if you're going to multi purpose it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by burchyk
    Don't think you have to pay $300 to get a decent quality.
    I suppose what you consider to be decent quality has a lot to do with it. For small diaphragm condensers, sub-$200 mics are not comparable to similarly-priced LD mics.

User Info Menu

No suggestions for mics - but I have to say, I love the painting!

Thanks to eveyone for the great advice and recommendations. I'd really like to keep it well under $200, just for casual home use for recording or through an acoustic amp or our mixer and frfr Alto powered speaker.

I do have a Yeti Bue that I use for Zoom biz mtgs, but I always assumed that to be not that great because of the price. Maybe I should try hooking up the Yeti for her singing?

User Info Menu

You can hear comparisons of a ton of condenser mic's on the site Audio Test Kitchen. The options include female vocalist solo'd and with band.
    Audio Test Kitchen | Compare the gear. Trust your ears.

User Info Menu

yes deffo try the Yeti mic first ....

the SE RN mics are great
    (Rupert Neve ...)
    but are big money

so maybe try the X1 range
    they look like great bang for the buck

particularly the X1r ribbon
    looks very versatile

I think I cannot use the Yeti Blue. I need to be able to use it with both xlr and usb inputs. My Yeti only has usb out. Rather than phantom power, the Yeti gets it's power from the computer's usb. If I use a usb to xlr converter, I don't think the Yeti will get any power, even with phantom.

User Info Menu

Checkout Thomann's T.Bone mics. I have the SC600 which is more than good enough for me, and well within your budget!

User Info Menu

You could use the Yeti Blue for recording, if you record into an app on your computer. If you record into a stand-alone recorder, it won't work, as you say.

And you can't use it into an amp at all. But if it works for you for recording into a computer, then you could get another mic for live use plugging into your amp (or a PA), and you can get a decent one for under $200.

Thanks to everyone for your knowledge and advice, I want to use it with a full range acoustic amp in the house at the piano, FR pa in the rehearsal room, AND go into the computer for recordin. I figure I can go into the USB mixer for recording. I made an offer on a used SE X1 S. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukena
    In addition, a mic that works well for recording a soprano may not work as well for recording an alto. For recording, vocal personality can make a difference.
    Thanks, she is a contra, kinda close to alto. Think Karen Carpenter, ?Corinne Drewery, Donna Summer, and can also really belt Streisand stuff. She also does jazzy stuff with my big band.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 03-22-2022 at 10:04 AM.

Well I screwed up. The SE X1 S requires 48v, I didn't realize the Genzler Acoustic Array amp I wanted to use it with only puts out 12.6v. You can see the Genzler in the background. Not nearly enough v to drive it at all. But the mic it works with my mixer (48v). Later today I'll try it with the Bud 6 (48v) at the piano. The reason I want to be able to put it through a small acoustic amp is for intimate settings at the piano, just to give her voice a little more depth at normal room vol. Maybe a condenser is overkill, but I thought it might sound better than the dynamic mics in a lower vol intimate setting. Is there a relatively low-cost condenser that will work with 12.6v? (The mic in the pic is the EV dynamic.)

Recommendations for an inexpensive condenser mic?-piano2-jpg
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 03-30-2022 at 07:24 AM.

User Info Menu

You could get a small dedicated phantom power provider?

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    You could get a small dedicated phantom power provider?
    Yes thanks, I wrote to Jeff Genzler and that's what he recommended.

User Info Menu

I have this one, which works very well, can be battery powered, and is dependable:
    Recommendations for an inexpensive condenser mic?-485588000000000-00-720x720-jpg
    But there is a single-channel version, which is $30 less expensive, and doesn't operate on battery power:
    Recommendations for an inexpensive condenser mic?-art_phantom_i_phantomiii_single_1519814747_288124-jpg
    Rolls also makes one that's even less expensive; it also can not be battery-powered.

I also have this, which is amazing, but I haven't used it for more than an hour or so at a time – and it's a good bit pricier than the above 3:
    Recommendations for an inexpensive condenser mic?-l68052000000000-00-720x720-jpg
    Xvive also makes a rechargeable phantom power supply that seems like a good deal at $50, but I have no experience with it. It is switchable, and will apparently supply either 12v or 48v.
    Recommendations for an inexpensive condenser mic?-xvive_audio_p1_portal_phantom_power_1622200830_1642568-jpg

Works great with the little Bud 6 @ 48v, just sounds a little small and boxy, but the vol is there. Maybe a 48v box is in order to use with the Genzler amps.

Recommendations for an inexpensive condenser mic?-condenser1-jpg
    Recommendations for an inexpensive condenser mic?-condenser2-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ukena

I also have this, which is amazing, but I haven't used it for more than an hour or so at a time – and it's a good bit pricier than the above 3:
    Recommendations for an inexpensive condenser mic?-l68052000000000-00-720x720-jpg
    Thanks, I have already the dynamic version of this for live perfs. So far it has worked beautifully, and have never run out of juice over several hours. FWIW, Carvin now is selling their version.