The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

I should have a few nights free next week to record. I want to take my Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight Amp with me on my trip without the speaker cabinet so I can record silently.

The manual was no help, nor was my internet searching. Can someone tell me if I can record using the Line Out without the speaker cabinet, or will that damage the amp head?

Thanks in advance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ýou should keep it connected. Another option would be getting a "dummy load" to connect to the speaker out. Some more modern heads can be used without a speaker connected, but not the JMUL.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Ýou should keep it connected. Another option would be getting a "dummy load" to connect to the speaker out. Some more modern heads can be used without a speaker connected, but not the JMUL.
    Good to see you still walk the earth and breathe the air, jorge! Thanks. I scoured the internet and while this questions was asked on various threads, there was no response given.

Thank you. I have a weber mini mass that I can use as a load. You may have saved me from destroying my rare little gem of an amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldSchoenberg
    My thanks to you too, Arnold. That Rivera product is nice but very expensive. I had been wanting to get one of those types of products, the ones with loadable IRs and a dummy load that allow you to not even need an amp. But, I cannot justify that expense.

I did, however, pull out the Weber Mini Mass and it should do just find. Thanks for your help.

Oh, and just to update, I will probably just take my Katana 50 for this trip, and I will keep in mind that the JMUL head (without the cabinet) is now a viable option for recording. Although after thinking about it, that amp has a special output type cable that might complicate things...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Good to see you still walk the earth and breathe the air, jorge! Thanks. I scoured the internet and while this questions was asked on various threads, there was no response given.

Thank you. I have a weber mini mass that I can use as a load. You may have saved me from destroying my rare little gem of an amp.
    Ah, many thanks! I still read the forum on a regular basis, but only contribute if I feel my input is worth it. Hope you're well on your side

I agree it's a very nice amp, and it would be a shame to loose it. The Weber should do the trick nicely.

As an aside, when I had that amp (10 years ago), it was already discontinued - but when I had questions about it (had the exact same question you have now), I contacted Fender and they always replied very fast and with excellent info.

User Info Menu

You CAN use the JMUL without connecting the speaker.
    Its portable for using the headphone out. (I also use it to record into PC via interface.)

More:
    Speaker-emulated XLR line output with level and ground lift
    Going into the studio to lay down some tracks? Then you'll be happy to know that the Jazzmaster Ultralight Head comes with a speaker-emulated XLR line output with level control and a ground lift to eliminate annoying hum. No direct box is required: Just plug the Jazzmaster Head directly into the console, adjust the level control and you've got perfect tone quality for any recording application. Other cool features? You bet: There's a tuner output with a mute function, a headphone output and a three-button footswitch for channel selection, Normal FX and Drive FX On/Off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Uffe Steen
    You CAN use the JMUL without connecting the speaker.
    Its portable for using the headphone out. (I also use it to record into PC via interface.)

More:
    Speaker-emulated XLR line output with level and ground lift
    Going into the studio to lay down some tracks? Then you'll be happy to know that the Jazzmaster Ultralight Head comes with a speaker-emulated XLR line output with level control and a ground lift to eliminate annoying hum. No direct box is required: Just plug the Jazzmaster Head directly into the console, adjust the level control and you've got perfect tone quality for any recording application. Other cool features? You bet: There's a tuner output with a mute function, a headphone output and a three-button footswitch for channel selection, Normal FX and Drive FX On/Off.
    Uffe, you make me wonder if I am not losing it mentally. I swear that I read through the owner's manual and through different online sites that discussed it - and I just did not see this. Or, maybe I did, and I just interpreted it to mean that you plug the XLR line output into the console, but still keep the enclosure connected. It is does not directly say you can have the speaker disconnected. And with me, if you don't explicitly tell me something, then I have to assume what I think is truth.

I don't think I am going to take any chances and I will keep the speaker plugged in. My luck is just not that good when I take chances.

User Info Menu

I respect that. Better safe than sorry..

User Info Menu

BY ACCIDENT!! The JMUL is my emergency backup general use amp, or my primary jazz only amp. Normal amp is in the shop so I had to use the JMUL tonight, and...FORGOT TO HOOK UP THE SPEAKER!! I sent the line out to the BOSE system and figured I didn't hear the amp because it was close to my feet. Then during the last set I moved myself to where I would hear it for certain. Nothing from the cabinet. Then I saw no cable out of the back. D'OH!!! The amp was not hot afterwards.

User Info Menu

Solid state transistor amps generally are happy without a load connected but must not be operated with a shorted output.
    Tube amps generally are happy with a shorted output, but must not be operated with the output open (no load connected).
    However, some modern amps use various circuitry tricks that may alter this, so always check the manufacturer instructions.

User Info Menu

I use mine all the time without the speaker connected. Been recording like that for 10 years, no issues at all.