The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

I came across a piece of software last week (sorry for not posting sooner) that filters out any instrument from a recording and allows you to separate it from the other instruments.

It also allows you to slow down the tempo and keep it at the same pitch (ok nothing new there) .

It also allows you press on any note (wave form) at any time and it will give you the name of the note.

So to get this straight. I can isolate the guitar or double bass (whatever instrument) from any jazz song recorded, listen to it in isolation, stop it at any time, click on the wave form and be given the note, even in complex chords.

I can now play anything.

There are now no more secrets.

Have fun!

P.S Sorry if everyone already knows about this

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Didn't know, thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    Didn't know, thanks for posting!
    You're welcome.

User Info Menu

That sure sounds too good to be true…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    It does but it is true.

I uploaded an MP3 of Joe Pass into the software and it separated out Joes guitar and the double bass. I could have isolated the bass entirely but didn't have time and still need to play around with it.
    Another mad thing about it is, you can use the bass from any jazz song by isolating it from the MP3 and it becomes a backing track.
    Now you can really play with the greats.

User Info Menu

It looks like there are two versions:
    • $99 US for the standalone version (which seems pretty full-featured)
    • $349 US for the version that integrates with ProTools and adds (many) more features.

Anyone who gets this, please share your reviews/experiences.

Thanks

SJ

User Info Menu

Sounds nice for quick excellent backing tracks and studying solos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eck
    Sounds nice for quick excellent backing tracks and studying solos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Solos are relatively easy to transcribe because software that changes tempo without pitch have been around for years.
    For me the real value is in breaking down chord melody work and having a backing track.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    It looks like there are two versions:
    • $99 US for the standalone version (which seems pretty full-featured)
    • $349 US for the version that integrates with ProTools and adds (many) more features.

Anyone who gets this, please share your reviews/experiences.

Thanks

SJ
    I bought the £77 version but haven't yet explored it. I don't think you need the more expensive one.
    You can always download and trial the software for free. I suggest you give it a go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I am a sound guy in my day job
    and i agree this seems impossible to me too ... but ....
    a Combination of spectral analysis
    (been around awhile)
    and some very clever pattern recognition AI and it would seem you can now
    sort of (imperfectly but quite well)
    separate out elements in a music mix

I’m gonna have a play with this gadget ....
    would be great
    for making play-a-longs etc

AI is game changer innit ?

User Info Menu

Imagine stripping out Joe Pass...and replacing it with my own. The Horror!

User Info Menu

It'd be more fun to replace another instrument, replace that one and boast about that time you got to play with one of the greats!

There have been filters for removing vocals from recordings for years. I've only toyed with the one bundled with Audacity, and can't say it works perfectly. I imagine that with this software too you can still hear echoes/ghosts from the removed part if you know to listen for them?

EDIT: that said, digital filtering can achieve miracles. Years ago I played in an opera production of which the final concert was recorded on DAT. Someone made a mistake of setting up the equipment too close to an arc stage light, resulting in, erm, a pretty good NSR. Hum and hiss, and us somewhere in the background. Post-prod managed to clean that up pretty nicely, quite acceptable as a souvenir.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    [...]There have been filters for removing vocals from recordings for years. I've only toyed with the one bundled with Audacity, and can't say it works perfectly. I imagine that with this software too you can still hear echoes/ghosts from the removed part if you know to listen for them?[...]
    You don't even need to know how to listen for those echoes – they are hard to miss. I have this software (since I don't use ProTools I bought the less-expensive version), and it was disappointing for my use case. But for making a rehearsal backing track, or to eliminate all but one instrument so you can slow it down, or any other use where you don't need a pristine result, it works very well.

User Info Menu

I downloaded it this morning and tried it with "Blue Train". I wanted to isolate the main sax, and it did a nice job. There were still small bits of piano coming through, but you can easily find those and delete them, it is just a little tedious. Overall, I think it is worth the $99 for creating backing tracks and learning solos.

Thanks for the tip - I never knew something like this existed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzWhiteBelt
    I downloaded it this morning and tried it with "Blue Train". I wanted to isolate the main sax, and it did a nice job. There were still small bits of piano coming through, but you can easily find those and delete them, it is just a little tedious. Overall, I think it is worth the $99 for creating backing tracks and learning solos.

Thanks for the tip - I never knew something like this existed.
    Excellent, glad you got something out of it.

You'll have to change your user name now.

User Info Menu

Wow! Just played around with the demo. I fed ATTYA from Methenys Q&A record to it and had a lot of fun: it's still my favorite guitar trio record but I always thought the mix/balance is not that good (even on the remix they did later on), especially the bass is too hidden. With the rip I could bring out the bass and follow Dave Holland's lines, really cool, way better than just using an EQ.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTT
    Wow! Just played around with the demo. I fed ATTYA from Methenys Q&A record to it and had a lot of fun: it's still my favorite guitar trio record but I always thought the mix/balance is not that good (even on the remix they did later on), especially the bass is too hidden. With the rip I could bring out the bass and follow Dave Holland's lines, really cool, way better than just using an EQ.
    I was going to have the bass and drums going from "Everyones Party'.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the great recommendation ArchtopHeaven! I just picked this up today as they are currently having a 25% off spring sale. So far the results have been very good. I hear much less artifacts (near zero in many cases) when isolating tracks than I heard in the demo above which was also very good. I was very surprised even after reading the positive member feedback. Of course, it is not perfect as folks have mentioned above but definitely good enough for my needs as a practice tool to aid in learning and playing tunes. So happy to have this tool in the toolbelt! Looking forward to digging into the capabilities this weekend. I highly recommend...thanks again!

User Info Menu

I downloaded the program recently. I'm pretty challenged when it comes to this stuff. I've had difficulty importing songs since most of my music is on Apple Music. Similar issue with YouTube. I wish it was a little easier to simply drag and drop a song from my Apple Music library or YouTube.

User Info Menu

Fantastic software...I've used Melodyne and RX 8 deconstruct..... but can'T wait to try this ..

Thx for the heads up

Ray

User Info Menu

Hmmmm...I've always wanted to be able to play the intro to "I'll Just Pick" by the Dixie Dregs, but I don't know if I $99 want to know it lol, but I will definitely give the demo a shot!

User Info Menu

I'm intrigued.
    Could be nice to cut out vocals of a favorite recording and see how well (or not) I actually sing-along.

Making backing tracks and learning solos are probably more important.

Definitely want to look into this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu

AI is game changer innit ?
    AI is definitely a game changer. We will have a few good years with perfect track isolation, and big breakthroughs in many areas, before the evolution takes our place in life forms we can not even imagine today. Our arrogant belief that we are the smartest, plus our greed to invent methods to rule others, will succed.