The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I recorded my Eastman PG2 yesterday, comparing different pathways from guitar to computer. These recordings are in Soundcloud, and since I can't embed more than one SC file into a post (subsequent files show up as URLs, which then must be opened in a new window to hear), I'll put each one in a separate post, which may get tiresome for forum members, which may result in no one actually wanting to slog through 9 posts. For that matter, this experiment may not interest anyone else anyway.

For all of these recordings, I am recording through an Apogee Duet 3 audio interface into my 2018 Mac mini. None of them have any post-processing or plug-ins; the amp (a second-generation Henrikson Bud) has the reverb set at 9:00.

This first SC file is simply a recording of the acoustic sound of the PG2; I am playing the guitar acoustically into the mic, which was about 15" away, pointed at the right upper bout.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here is the guitar plugged into the Bud with a mic about 6" in front of it.

User Info Menu

Here is the guitar into the Bud through the mic, but with a Brute EQ pedal in the FX loop.

User Info Menu

Here is the Bud direct into the Duet 3 (via the line out) with the Brute EQ off.

User Info Menu

The Bud direct to Duet with the Brute EQ on.

User Info Menu

Here is the PG2 plugged directly to the Duet.

User Info Menu

And the PG2 plugged into the Brute Eq, which is then plugged into the Duet.

User Info Menu

And here is the PG2 through a Fender Mustang Micro, which is plugged into the Duet via the Micro's headphone port.

User Info Menu

Hej Ukena, I found the DI from Bud w/o Brute to be the most pleasing to my ear.

User Info Menu

From a quick listen, without high quality earphones or speakers, I preferred the recordings without the Bud, either acoustic or direct into the Duet. The Brute EQ pedal is okay, but it doesn't really enhance the sound for me.

User Info Menu

From a quick listen, without high quality earphones or speakers, I preferred the recordings without the Bud, either acoustic or direct into the Duet.  The Brute EQ pedal is okay, but it doesn't really enhance the sound for me.   The Bud direct out is better than the Bud speaker, which could be the fault of the microphone.