The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
    Dutchbopper Guest
    This weekend I have been experimenting with my flat top. I am pleased with the latest effort. I recorded a piano guitar duet and experimented quite a bit with compression, EQ and reverb to get the best sound. Since the guitar is not that great, the recorded result was not that bad IMHO. Just imagine what you can do with a really great acoustic flat- or archtop.

The sound chain that I use is really inexpensive. The not so expensive flat top was recorded with a not so expensive condenser mike and sent to a not so expensive DAW (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) which was then sent into my PC where I combined the guitar track with the piano track in my multi tracking software (Sonar X3 Producer). Of course I only needed two tracks, one for piano and one for guitar. The Sonar software is available for free these days. The guitar sound was processed. I added reverb, compression and equalising.

The tune is "I Could Write a Book."

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    This weekend I have been experimenting with my flat top. I am pleased with the latest effort. I recorded a piano guitar duet and experimented quite a bit with compression, EQ and reverb to get the best sound. Since the guitar is not that great, the recorded result was not that bad IMHO. Just imagine what you can do with a really great acoustic flat- or archtop.

The sound chain that I use is really inexpensive. The not so expensive flat top was recorded with a not so expensive condenser mike and sent to a not so expensive DAW (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) which was then sent into my PC where I combined the guitar track with the piano track in my multi tracking software (Sonar X3 Producer). Of course I only needed two tracks, one for piano and one for guitar. The Sonar software is available for free these days. The guitar sound was processed. I added reverb, compression and equalising.

The tune is "I Could Write a Book."

DB

Nothing wrong with that!

It's a great guitar sound. Very distinctive. I wouldn't call it better or worse than other guitar sounds I've heard, but it's very enjoyable. Nice playing too.

User Info Menu

Several things really come into focus when you use an acoustic guitar recorded by a close-up mic instead of an electric guitar/amp signal :
    - the issues of choice/technique of pick (i.e. it's thickness, shape and type of edge, where you pick, the picking angle)
    - how you attack the strings and in which manner the guitar reacts
    - how you respond to the sounds you hear : when you play a guitar with a pleasing sound (to your ear) this will have a big influence on WHAT you play, how many notes, which register etc. - this response will likely be different with an acoustically inferior guitar. More inspiration from a beautiful tone and an easy playing guitar.....

In my experience the immediacy of an acoustic guitar can be quite intimidating sometimes, more so when you are not that used to being scrutinized by a sensitive microphone !

User Info Menu

Nice playing, kind of reminded me of Larry Coryell. I would not have guessed it was an inexpensive guitar. I didn't hear any chords, though, which might be a big difference.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JGinNJ
    Nice playing, kind of reminded me of Larry Coryell. I would not have guessed it was an inexpensive guitar. I didn't hear any chords, though, which might be a big difference.
    What you hear is a processed sound with reverb, compression and EQ. These days it is so easy to create good sounds with recording software ...

DB

It sounds like you found your acoustic sound. On my Mac speakers it sounded clear and crisp. The piano sounds a little far back in the mix. I've always found recording acoustic guitar problematic. The fewer the instruments in the mix, the more exposed the guitar is, the more those unwanted frequencies are heard. Digital seems to accentuate those sharp scrapes, scuffs, jings, harmonics and unflattering bungles, and no amount of EQ, reverb, or compression seems to create a truly warm sound IMO. Expensive gear might just capture them more. That all seems to be made worse by how people listen to music these days, eg ears buds, iphones, etc.

A dynamic mic might be worth a try if you can boost its signal. Choice of strings, or even choice of acoustic guitar might help. Many flattops have very responsive surfaces. Archtops less so. Recording an archtop acoustically with just a little amplification can be rewarding. Nylon string guitars don't have this problem. Having said all that, the average listener is not going to be fussed.

I personally think it is as much a question of what is not captured, rather than what is. With reverb etc, it should not be noticeable when its applied, but missed when it isn't. When listening to a mixed take, I will leave the room and listen to the sound from a distance. Space and surroundings filters out a lot of the undesirables, leaving behind an impression that mimics how you music is perceived as background music.