The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Hi, I’m a beginner jazz player and am looking to work on playing with a drum looper-I don’t have others to practice with. Some parameters I am trying to stay within: I am not looking to do a lot of sophisticated stuff, just basic backing tracks. I am liking the idea of either a Digitech trio -can get a used one for not much. Another option is BIAB, which would have the added benefit of saving backing tracks and also more customization, but the negative of a longer learning curve, needing to add a studio monitor to my laptop etc. Spending time on setup/learning curve for the software is not great as I’d rather spend my time playing and I don’t have a ton of time to devote. Another option is the cheap drum loopers like Donner and Flamma , but I don’t know whether they have a lot of jazzy options. Any thoughts on pluses/minuses from people who have gone down this path?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Check out the apps Drumgenius and iReal Pro as low cost options first.

iReal Pro is like a not-as-nice-sounding BIAB but for $15 or so. You can preload 1300+ jazz standards into it without having to build out the songs manually. I mostly just play to the bass with a click on 2 and 4. Sounds pretty good.

Drumgenius is strictly drum beats, but they are from real recordings and sound great.

User Info Menu

+1 iRealPro

User Info Menu

Biab

User Info Menu

You might also want to try the many jazz backing tracks on YouTube before spending any money. And you can download one of several decent drum machine apps to make and play rhythm loops on your computer or mobile device.

Both iRealpro and BIAB are fine as well. The advantage for practice is that you can change tempo and key on any tune.

User Info Menu

+ 1 on iRealpro and Dumgenius

I use iRealpro when I want to quickly learn changes and/or practice at different tempos, and Drumgenius when I specifically want to practice without any harmony. When I want to play with something more realistic sounding I use backing tracks, often on youtube. Most of these were made with BIAB, so if you check out a bunch that'll give you a sense of what BIAB sounds like. It definitely sounds better than iRealpro, but but not exactly realistic, and a bit of a learning curve (though I guess there are libraries of tunes out there for sale/sharing). The best backing tracks are the live play-alongs from Aebersold, many of which can found on Amazon for about a dollar. I sometimes buy one of those (especially if the ones I find in youtube are lousy, which can be the case). A looper pedal can also be cool. But for lowest investment + simplest learning curve + greatest flexibility iRealpro is the best. It's also a quasi-fakebook (without melodies), which can be useful at jams.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    + 1 on iRealpro and Dumgenius

I use iRealpro when I want to quickly learn changes and/or practice at different tempos, and Drumgenius when I specifically want to practice without any harmony. When I want to play with something more realistic sounding I use backing tracks, often on youtube. Most of these were made with BIAB, so if you check out a bunch that'll give you a sense of what BIAB sounds like. It definitely sounds better than iRealpro, but but not exactly realistic, and a bit of a learning curve (though I guess there are libraries of tunes out there for sale/sharing). The best backing tracks are the live play-alongs from Aebersold, many of which can found on Amazon for about a dollar. I sometimes buy one of those (especially if the ones I find in youtube are lousy, which can be the case). A looper pedal can also be cool. But for lowest investment + simplest learning curve + greatest flexibility iRealpro is the best. It's also a quasi-fakebook (without melodies), which can be useful at jams.
    For me, Biab is the best and I have a whole Real Book for it. Biab has a huge amount of music styles that can sometimes be a helpful inspiration.Biab also includes cool accessories for practicing and ear training.
    You can also make recordings on Biab.
    Biab sounds better and better every year.
    I have been using Biab since the beginning of the 90's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    For me, Biab is the best and I have a whole Real Book for it....
    Which realbook?

I found an old one online that just uses midi styles and has melody tracks (that I usually manually mute).
    Is that the one or do you have a better one?

It is definitey usable but when loading a new song I need to select a new style.

I think iReal Pro is easier to use but BIAB sounds much better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by orri
    Which realbook?

I found an old one online that just uses midi styles and has melody tracks (that I usually manually mute).
    Is that the one or do you have a better one?

It is definitey usable but when loading a new song I need to select a new style.

I think iReal Pro is easier to use but BIAB sounds much better.
    I have several different Real Books with BB files.I found them on the internet a long time ago.
    If I don't have a standard in BB files, I type in chords and melody from normal Real Book.
    Of course, I check with the original recordings beforehand if there are any errors.

User Info Menu

Another option I'll throw out there is the Real Book itself, which comes with a code for the Hal Leonard website that has real-band recordings of all of the songs in the Real Book. You can adjust the tempo and pitch, and as long as you're near the original tempo/key, it sounds great.

You have to specifically buy the version with the code, though. I think it's $40.

User Info Menu

I am a new user of BIAB and LOVE it. I use it very simply to quickly grab some practice chords, a progression or any other practice goal. I don't use all the bells and whistles but have found (to my ears and enjoyment) the sound quality of the RealTracks to be SO good that I am really happy not using MIDI in different backing track programs (iRealpro or Jjazzlab) anymore.

I almost always gravitate to the Jazz styles. I did get the UltraPak and glad I spent the extra money...THOUGH you could get the ProPak and just play with the basics and then wait for their every December super sale and get upgrade to UltraPak with almost a $200 savings. That would be a good compromise.

I am using it every single day and all the styles makes it wonderful to keep on practicing without getting tired of the "band". I change it up all the time. I am delighted to have spent the money and have realized that I do not have to spend time learning all the myriad other features. Its the sound quality that sold me. At this level, it is super easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by diode
    Check out the apps Drumgenius and iReal Pro as low cost options first.

iReal Pro is like a not-as-nice-sounding BIAB but for $15 or so. You can preload 1300+ jazz standards into it without having to build out the songs manually. I mostly just play to the bass with a click on 2 and 4. Sounds pretty good.

Drumgenius is strictly drum beats, but they are from real recordings and sound great.
    so far I have used both of those. drumgenius is pretty nice, though without base. lots of selections. irealpro is nice for adding bass/piano but sounds not so great. Still very useful for learning the changes and for me just learning to play along with the tune

User Info Menu

I thought Jjazzlab was better sounding than iRealpro if you want to stay with MIDI and it is free. I used it a lot before I got BIAB.

https://www.jjazzlab.com/en/

User Info Menu

As already mentioned, BIAB allows many more options and opportunities to progress than most other programs. And the sound is now really, really good!

User Info Menu

I have the BIAB version from 2014 and have wonder about upgrading. I just use it to practice tunes and the real tracks are the best. I have a huge amount of tunes from the old Wesley Dick site on internet from 20 or more years ago.

So is the upgrade to current worth it?

User Info Menu

Well from what i have heard there have been massive upgrades since then with a phenomenal amount of new RealTracks and styles. Also a huge upgrade in special features that seem to be mostly used for people who write their own music. BUT if all you do is use your midi files and play them in BIAB,that hasn't changed much, but you would get a gigantic slug of new Realtracks and styles which tou might like especially if you get the UktraPak.

User Info Menu

I have several different Real Books with BB files.I found them on the internet a long time ago.
    If I don't have a standard in BB files, I type in chords and melody from normal Real Book.
    Of course, I check with the original recordings beforehand if there are any errors.
    Kris, please can you explain me how to type the melody in BIAB?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesR
    Kris, please can you explain me how to type the melody in BIAB?
    I think this help:

User Info Menu

I think this help:
    Thank you Kris! Works like a charm.

User Info Menu

Thanks Kris.

Happy to have this information.

User Info Menu

I use BiaB a lot for practicing but returned eventually to using MIDI styles because they are much quicker.

In case you don't know it, there is an alternative out there for Jazz studies called Improvisor. It's free und you'll find more information here:

<b>"Write the solo that you'd love to be able to improvise."</b>

The idea behind this software is based on the "Lego Brick Method" found discussed in this thread:

Conrad Cork's &quot;Harmony with LEGO Bricks&quot;