The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Hello. Last night I wasted 2 hours trying to create a Guitar Pro Music sheet.

Youtube was a big help, but it always seems I have a different version than what the video might have, or they leave out an important setting or detail that has me searching for an answer. In this case, the Guitar Pro User Guide had a button that I needed to disable. The name in the User Guide was different from the one on my screen. I guess they changed it and did not update the book.

I've gotten past that now. Man, this music software can make you doubt your intelligence level!

Back to playing my guitar!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don’t know that one but certainly have my frustrations with Finale. Berklee Online has a semester long course for it. It really helps but costs more than the software, lol.

User Info Menu

I like all my music softwares...:-)

User Info Menu

Yes learning music software can be a big distraction from playing. I found that with DAW software. Learning something like Guitar Pro is really useful though for transcribing etc. It's a really good learning tool too. Guitar Pro is fairly straight forward once you get into it. I enjoy using music software. I find spending a small amount of time using it regularly really helpful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gps
    Yes learning music software can be a big distraction from playing. I found that with DAW software. Learning something like Guitar Pro is really useful though for transcribing etc. It's a really good learning tool too. Guitar Pro is fairly straight forward once you get into it. I enjoy using music software. I find spending a small amount of time using it regularly really helpful.
    I really like it, too, especially now that I am getting it figured out. It is even helping to count the beats. I also enjoy Band in a Box, although I only use the basics of that program. I had hell learning that one and the problem, in part, turned out to be an underpowered laptop, which I have since replaced.

There is one last battle that I will eventually have to take up and that is learning how to record using a DAW. For now, I am sticking with my old multi track recorder.

User Info Menu

I get frustrated also. I've put in the hours learning software, no doubt about it. But I love my DAW at this point.

User Info Menu

I find Musescore really easy to use, much more so than Finale. The jazz lead sheet template works great.

User Info Menu

When Fep recommended Musecore many years ago, I downloaded it. I could not figure it out to save my soul. Very humbling.

It was my first time using music software and I learned the hard lessons of how one button can have many different functions, and how things have to flow in a certain order.

I had always considered myself a smart man until that introduction to music software.

User Info Menu

Try writing an arrangement, it will change your mind! You write the score, then press two buttons, instant parts for all instruments, press print, everything ready! New singer and want to change the key? One button, print, you 're done.. Or tenor player is gone and you 'll have an alto on the gig? Again, a two buttons problem...

If you 're working with tutorial videos you're half there already. Then the key is to use it often enough so you don't forget..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Try writing an arrangement, it will change your mind! You write the score, then press two buttons, instant parts for all instruments, press print, everything ready! New singer and want to change the key? One button, print, you 're done.. Or tenor player is gone and you 'll have an alto on the gig? Again, a two buttons problem...

If you 're working with tutorial videos you're half there already. Then the key is to use it often enough so you don't forget..
    That, and my penmanship is hopeless. I might be able to write a chart by hand faster than I can do it on the computer. But I can't write a chart that another human being can read at all.

User Info Menu

Took me a while to learn Guitar Pro. But once I got the hang of it, I am able to score pretty fluently with it. Especially once I started using the keyboard shortcuts. (a critical skill for the app that often gets overlooked). What helped was practicing using Guitar Pro by recreating scores. Took about a week to get really good at it.

These days, I add a couple of other apps to my workflow with Guitar Pro.
    • The Playscore 2 music scanning app - I can snap a picture of a score and the app processes the picture to optically recognize the standard notation to produce a Music XML file I can import into Guitar Pro. Gets it right about 80% of the time, which can be a huge timesaver.
    • StaffPad composing app - When composing from scratch on my iPad and Apple Pencil, this app is clutch. Recognizes handwritten notation and instantly converts it into beautifully engraved-score notation. Easy to export a Music XML file I can import into Guitar Pro for further formatting or manipulation.