The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 139 of 139

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    But where did you find this information?!
    Reading manuals? I have an EE background so even the Specs you attached before provides useful information. And I have resolved remaining ambiguities by asking dr Google for help

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I did RTFM... As you said yourself, the "quickstart guide" Behringer provide isn't exactly clear, and that makes me inclined to gloss over things like "hey, they mention a TRS for the line input (must be a typo)" (if that's indeed the case).

EDIT: re: typos: the Studio V3 specs above claim a 10Hz-30kHz (+- .5dB) frequency response; my Tube MP's specs claim 10Hz-20khz (+- 1dB). All the other specs are rigorously the same; isn't that a bit surprising if the V3's larger frequency range is the result of the use of better components (rather than a typo or a different way of defining the range)?

User Info Menu

Engineers love designing and hate writing manuals...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by msankowski
    Engineers love designing and hate writing manuals...
    I loved reading Zen and the Art... though

User Info Menu

EDIT: re: typos: the Studio V3 specs above claim a 10Hz-30kHz (+- .5dB) frequency response; my Tube MP's specs claim 10Hz-20khz (+- 1dB). All the other specs are rigorously the same; isn't that a bit surprising if the V3's larger frequency range is the result of the use of better components (rather than a typo or a different way of defining the range)?
    The bandwidth and its flateness does not really matter in this comparison. Both above specs exceed guitar signal frequency spectrum by a lot. However, audiophiles or bats may claim they hear a difference.

User Info Menu

There's that of course

(bats, dogs and cats probably hear a difference)

User Info Menu

Good basic text on signal levels and in/out impedances:

Signal levels

User Info Menu

As I thought, the doc has
    • 2 x XLR/TRS combo connector (mic/line/instr input)
    • 1 x 1/4" stereo (phones out)
    • 2 x 1/4" TRS (Main Line out)
    • 4 x RCA (Playback Line Out)

Without opening the case or finding a wiring scheme I can' know for certain but what would be the point of having TRS "main line out" knowing these carry the 2 amplified inputs, i.e. 2 mono signals? (The 4 RCA out connectors are confusing; I don't see why the UMC204HD would double as a quad audio out soundcard.) The pictures in the manual only show TS plugs, suggesting that there's indeed a confusion between TRS and TS connectors.

Annoyingly the XLR-TRS cable I have isn't balanced; it shuts XLR terminals 1 and 3 and connects the TRS ring and tip to terminal 2. IOW, it makes a mono microphone input for a system that can support a stereo mike. Plugging it into the UMC gives silence, suggesting there must indeed be a TRS connector in there (additional lead: plugging the insert cable with the TRS plug into the UMC and the ring lead open gave a solid amount of mains hum tonight; plugging it in the other way round gave a proper signal.

User Info Menu

There are no internal links between the inputs and the outputs. Inputs are separate mono and after ADC go into computer. Main outs make balanced stereo output that is driven by a DAC, that decodes stereo PCM signal stream from your DAW. Main outs are +4dBu pro line level.

The RCA outputs are unbalanced -10dBV consumer line level. They are additional, if you have no special reason do not use them. When using UMC404HD I used these outs to connect the interface to analog mixer RCA inputs. One may connect them to an analog tape recorder, an external headphone amp, or a home hi-fi amplifier.

Try using TS-TS cable.
    Last edited by msankowski; 03-14-2022 at 06:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Erm, from what I understand there are outputs on the back to connect self-powered monitor speakers, showing with TS connectors on the drawings; there's a dedicated volume knob on the front for them.

I use the the 1st pair of RCA connectors to drive my old NAD amp. On Mac I can decide what pair to use, or use both pairs for quadrophonic listening; I don't seem to have the possibility to drive 2 left and 2 right speakers.

A TS-TS cable would work, but only gives an acceptable signal level when I switch the UMC input to INST. I've ordered a balanced XLR->TRS cable; should arrive on wednesday. I'm a bit afraid it won't make much difference but at least I'll have optimum noise protection...

User Info Menu

I have a hunch that Line/INST only applies to the jack input, not to the XLR which I assume is the Mic input. That's the only explanation I see for not having a "Mic" position on the input selector. I also don't have a 2nd XLR-XLR cable, so to test using this cable I'd have to hook my Loar to the ART instead of my microphone, which may change everything.

It would be strange if the ART preamp had a lower output level than a microphone, or if the output were a lot lower on the jack than on the XLR output.
    I finally got to set up my ART StudioV3. I find no difference in volume between the two outputs on the ART, whether using the 1/4" out or the XLR out. With the settings on the ART Input at 12:00 and the Output at 12:00, I have more than enough signal going into my Apogee Duet – I put the gain on the Apogee at 11:00 for both 1/4" input and TRS input, and the volume meter on the Duet was pretty much right in the sweet spot. Interestingly, though, the output level meter on the ART stayed all the way at the left.

By the way, on the ART the Norm switch was out (turning off the +20dB gain), and so were the phantom power and phase reverse. Also, when using the 1/4" cable into the Duet, I had to use the Inst line in setting, not the Mic setting (which is used for the XLR cable).

In your quote above, you make a distinction between the jack input and the XLR input. I see that the Behringer has a jack input on the back, but the inputs on the front are combination inputs, which can take either a 1/4" jack or an XLR. I hope you have been plugging the ART into the front combination inputs, not the back one.

It also might be useful to use the XLR cable you are currently using for the mic and try going from the ART into the Behringer with that. At least it will narrow down a setting or two. Also, how does the Loar sound when plugged directly into the Behringer? How is the signal then?

User Info Menu

No XLR to XLR. Use XLR to TRS or TS to TS. These will be impedance matched.

And use the gain knob in your ART without hesitation. This is the preamp, its role is to amplify.
    Last edited by msankowski; 03-15-2022 at 06:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by msankowski
    No XLR to XLR. Use XLR to TRS or TS to TS. These will be impedance matched.

And use the gain knob in your ART without hesitation. This is the preamp, its role is to amplify.
    In your experience, does the XLR input on the Behringer not work for preamps? Otherwise, why no XLR to XLR? Is this particular to the Behringer?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ukena
    In your experience, does the XLR input on the Behringer not work for preamps? Otherwise, why no XLR to XLR? Is this particular to the Behringer?
    In all the UMCs XLR is only for mics.
    The same for Focusrite Scarlett line.
    As far as I know this is not a standard and some interfaces support both: balanced mic or line over the same XLR.
    Last edited by msankowski; 03-15-2022 at 06:31 PM.