The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 139

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The second one. It is female XLR. Buy the 1m cable if you do not need the units to be placed far from each other.

User Info Menu

If it helps, here is my simple setup with the settings I use - I was using it to record a video today. (Power cable for the ART gadget is not shown).

On the Focusrite, ensure the ‘INST’ setting is off (i.e. no light) - this means LINE input is engaged for the cable input.

Art Tube V3 preamp - should I get one?-4f21361a-8693-450d-8866-b88414ba4dee-jpeg

User Info Menu

Ah, a picture! I’ll sleep tonight

User Info Menu

I bought the v3 around 12 years ago, and used it for recordings of vocals and my Martin dread. I found it worked extremely well for both, warming things up.

In the years since, it has been supplanted by higher-level audio interfaces and mics (and a Tonedexter, for live gigs). But in the last couple of years I started focussing on jazz guitar, and my archtops, and it never occurred to me to break out that little tube preamp. Thanks, Rob, for reminding me about it – I'm going to get it out of my Old Preamps Box and see how it does.

BTW, this has to be, if not the most convivial thread I've ever read on an internet forum, then certainly as convivial as any. Thank you, gentlemen, for reason, humility, and generosity.

User Info Menu

Here, here! And thanks for extending the mood of conviviality, Ukena

User Info Menu

Can we expect a nice with vs. without video from you?

BTW, I've wondered about the warming-up period. I seem to remember from the old tube-radios of my youth (they were old back then already ) that they needed a while to warm up before they'd start giving (a good) sound. I've never really noticed something with the ART Tube, not in terms of an audible increase in sound quality or quantity (one you'd hear without looking for it in a recording). Maybe it's simply not driven at high enough a voltage?

One day I should loop some nice white noise through the ART, see how processed signal changes while the tube warms up and also exactly what the different output gain settings do to it. Aaahhh, tinkering

User Info Menu

There’s an actual tube in the ART V3?! I thought it was purely digital. Surely it is digital? Or are you being humorous?

User Info Menu

PS There will surely be videos soon. However, we will be in turmoil for a week as every room and hallway is getting painted. I doubt I’ll get anything done.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    There’s an actual tube in the ART V3?! I thought it was purely digital. Surely it is digital? Or are you being humorous?
    Of course there is the tube in the ART Tube. Look into the schematic above

User Info Menu

Very clear!

User Info Menu

Between the words "Tube" and "MP" on your V3 there are three holes.
    After warming the preamp up you should see through these holes the tube glowing inside.

User Info Menu

oh dear Rob, look at my photo, as a clue it has the words Tube and Valve on it (!) and as has been pointed out, you can see the valve behind those little bars on the right.

It incorporates a ‘starved plate tube circuit’ I believe. I’m no electronics expert, but as far as I know the idea is to produce some kind of tube ‘warmth’ at a low voltage.

Probably not the same thing as a real amp tube circuit operating at higher voltage, but it warms up the direct guitar sound enough for my purposes.

User Info Menu

Also it gets quite warm when in use, another clue!

Sorry Rob, I keep forgetting you are new to all this electronic wizardry!

User Info Menu

Or are you being humorous?
    Or you are doing what Brits do best (also)?
    (no, I didn't mean waking up just now )

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Also it gets quite warm when in use, another clue!
    Not more so than any other amp, AFAICT!

User Info Menu

I’m not a Brit, at least not by choice. I’m human first, Scottish second, and European third, but mostly the human part. I’ve nothing against my English friends, I just don’t think Westminster is democratic.

In other words, please don’t refer to me as a Brit

User Info Menu

UK
    United but not Agreed

User Info Menu

Understood, but I thought I had been careful enough to not use some variant of *English*, British being (AFAIK!) the term used to refer to the entire (more or less) United Kingdom.
    (I.e. similar to why I object to being called "Hollands" or my country being referred to as Holland.)

Maybe do your version of Rent's Rant through the ART and see how that works out?

User Info Menu

Apologies for lowering the tone of this happy thread!

User Info Menu

It’s a 12AX7 like the ones in most guitar amp input stages. You can even “roll” tubes through it - many (with far more sensitive hearing than I seem to have) try different models, brands and vintages of dual triode to find the one(s) they like best. It is used a bit differently, as Grahambop says. That starved plate circuit is commonly used to add a bit of the harmonic distortion of a tube with no gain. Here’s a great explanation. In summary, it is operated at a very low plate voltage and does nothing but color the signal.

User Info Menu

Okay. And it’s not likely to break soon? He said hopefully…

User Info Menu

Doesn't a tube also function as a compressor (cf. the "OPL" presets, for Output Protection Limiter)?

User Info Menu

Okay. And it’s not likely to break soon? He said hopefully…
    Operated at the voltages in the Art, it should outlast all of us absent physical abuse like dropping it. I’m still on the original in my first gen unit and I don’t know anyone who has replaced one except in search of better sound (which, in this application and my opinion, is a futile quest). Different tubes may sound a tiny bit different, but I tried a few from my spares kit and found none to be better and no difference beyond “maybe I hear it and maybe I don’t”.

User Info Menu

That's reassuring. Thanks.

User Info Menu

By the way here’s the video I was recording with the ART tube yesterday (another virtual duet with Dutchbopper). I’m on the right, you can see the ART tube on my desk below the computer screen.