The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’d have thought you just need a standard 3-pin XLR female to 3-pin XLR male mic cable. Presumably the amp output is mono, if so I would think there’s no point in splitting it to 2 signals?

(your mic only splits to 2 outputs because it is stereo, I’ve got one of those mics too.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    The mic cable I currently use successfully with the Fostex has these connectors:

Mic end: 5 holes:

Attachment 85410

Fostex: (it's a stereo mic)

Attachment 85411

While the amp has:

Attachment 85412

The mic connector cannot be used from the amp, so I've been trying to find a cable that has a three-hole female XLR at one end, and two male XLRs at the other end. Does such a thing exist?
    it absolutely exists, and is the standard form of an XLR microphone cable. It's what I use between my Tonemaster and my PreSonus Audiobox. I don't know what that other cable is but it looks like a midi cable (??).

User Info Menu

Well the cable with one female and two male heads arrived, and it works well! A clean sound with either cab simulation the amp provides. The only problem now is I don’t really like the sound! It’s not quite real, not what I hear with my ears. Back to the drawing board, but thanks for all your help!

User Info Menu

I find recording an amp is always tricky, if I use a mic I get into all sorts of problems with where to place it, noises in the room etc. Miking it fairly close seems best, but then it never seems to sound the same as what you hear from a few feet away.

Recording from the line out gives a good clear sound, but again it isn’t going to be quite what you hear when playing.

On balance I favour the line out because it gives me more clarity. By the time the guitar track is mixed, a bit of reverb added, and it ends up being compressed by youtube (if I upload it), it sounds better to me than if I use a mic.

All my youtube videos have been done this way. In fact these days I don’t bother much with the amp for recording, I just plug the guitar into a preamp to warm up the sound (ART V3 mic preamp) and run that into my Focusrite interface.

Bear in mind I play a 175 so all I am after is capturing a good electric sound, the acoustic sound is pretty minimal really.

User Info Menu

Cheers, Graham. I might investigate an interface like the Focusrite and preamp.

User Info Menu

How do you work with the Fostex Rob? Do you transfer the recordings from it to a PC and do stuff with it there? Not sure what software you have.

If it helps, my recording setup is:

guitar -> preamp -> Focusrite 2i2 -> desktop PC (using Reaper recording software).

For the video element I film with my compact camera, transfer the file to the PC and synchronise it with the audio as recorded above (you can do all this in Reaper as it happens, it can do basic video processing).

The one complication is that I need some way to monitor the electric guitar sound while playing, so I usually get round that by feeding the Focusrite headphone out to my computer speakers, so I can hear the guitar. I could use headphones, but I hate wearing them in videos.

Or I can split the guitar signal at source and send one half to the amp (I bought a Lehle signal splitter for this). But that complicates the setup even more, cables everywhere, I must admit I tend not to do this very often!

It’s a complicated business!

User Info Menu

I've used the Fostex for about 15 CDs or download albums, for books with Mel Bay, all just one instrument, the Rode NT4 stereo mic about a foot away, just in my room. People tend to like the sound I make with this set up, so I've never thought of changing it...until this Tonemaster offered me a line out!

I record the video with a camcorder, simultaneously the sound file with the Rode directly into the Fostex. Then I edit the sound file in Steinberger Wavelab Essential 6, which is the simplest of all sound file editors - it can't do overdubs, it's so simple but good quality. I chop the beginning and end off and add a touch reverb, less than I used to ten years ago. Then, like you, I align it with the video sound file wave pattern in Vegas Movie Studio Lite, add a title page, and click Go. It does all take time, but I get a very satisfactory result.

I could do that with the Ibanez into the Tonemaster, have the mic close to the amp, or maybe close to the guitar but with the amp at a suitable volume to be in the mix. That will take some experimenting. As I mentioned before, I do like a bit of room vibe, otherwise to my tastes it can sound a bit cold, like looking at a "perfect" digital photograph compared to "imperfect" film. But I still love listening to your videos, so the sound you get is good.

I'll mess around with things for a while before contemplating the Focusrite/Preamp setup. But I've had the same setup for 15 years or so, and have stopped thinking about it...until now.

User Info Menu

Maybe you could run the amp line out to the fostex with one lead, and mic the guitar/amp with another lead running into the 2nd fostex input, and mix the 2 signals together somehow? (not sure if the fostex allows that.). Some people get good results doing that kind of mix.

Probably best not to drastically change your setup and buy loads of new gadgets until you’ve exhausted the current possibilities!

User Info Menu

How the pros do it:

User Info Menu

All the gear used in that demo can be yours for a mere £12,000 (or thereabouts) according to my calculations!

User Info Menu

Ha! It hears your mistakes so clearly!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    All the gear used in that demo can be yours for a mere £12,000 (or thereabouts) according to my calculations!
    But you can get close with two inexpensive mics into a home studio-grade audio interface like a focusrite 2i2.

User Info Menu

Rob all your YouTube videos have stellar sound, so why change something that works? Probably the room sound is great (besides the player etc.).

My best results have been using two mics. One very close to the amp, one maybe 2-3 feet away. Record both through a card, then pan and mix them to get the right balance and phase.

Then again, if you use a digital effect you can get pretty close, and the practicality of direct recording is great. I think it comes down to what you are most comfortable playing through. I know I'll play better through my Princeton than through studio monitors, so that's reason enough to go through the hassle... usually!

User Info Menu

Thanks, Alter. You are right: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

However, I think the light and sound in my previous house was better than this new (otherwise much better) house. So, I'm still working out how to get the best out of it.

User Info Menu

Well, time for a new house, obviously.

User Info Menu

If you ever decide you need to upgrade to another standalone recorder and you think you may need more than two XLR inputs, you might consider the Zoom H8. I’m finding it to be very versatile. It’s overkill since rarely use more than three inputs, but it’s nice to have them if the need arises.

H8 Audio Recorder | Buy Now | ZOOM

User Info Menu

Thanks, Kirk, but as mentioned I am able to record perfectly well now, I just am not happy with the sound.