The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Hey all,

Transcribe! is tool that I use frequently and have had no problems with it until recently.

What I do is I find a song on Youtube then convert is using an online converter into an MP3 file. Download that file to my laptop then open it into Transcribe! and keep myself busy for a while. Happy days!!

This worked fine up until a few days ago when I downloaded a new song, converted it into MP3 using the same program and tried to open it into Transcribe!

The message I got was a box that amongst other things says 'cannot load sound file - bad file format (error T:2024)'.

I tried this with a few other songs (download and open) but the same thing happenend.

This morning I tried it with a new song and it opened the song in Transcribe but the song is squashed into the first few seconds of transcribe so the whole song plays in about 2 seconds!

The MP3 files which I had previously downloaded before this problem all work fine. I can open them no problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? and how do I solve it?

Edit: I am using Windows 10

Many thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I can open every youtube files on Transcribe.
    Do not need convert them to mp3 files.
    I use 2 different comp...one with win 7 another with win10.
    Working great!

User Info Menu

I believe that youtube periodically try to outwit the various downloader sites and programmes by making changes to stop them working. I sometimes use a downloader programme and most times I go to use it, it has to be updated to ‘catch up’ with the latest youtube changes before it will work.

So it might be something along those lines.

If all else fails, as a last resort you can download Audacity, set its recording preferences to ‘stereo mix’ or something like that, then you can just play the youtube and record the sound into Audacity via your soundcard. Then export as WAV or MP3.

(Oh yeah, just remembered - in Windows 10 those idiots at Microsoft decided to disable the stereo mix option for some stupid reason. You will have to google how to enable it - there is a way but I can’t remember it now. I did it, so I know it’s possible).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Working great!
    Thanks Kris. How do you open YouTube files without converting them to mp3?

Thank you

User Info Menu

Thanks Graham. I'm in touch with Andy from Seventh string so hopefully sorted soon.

I generally like technology but when it works great for a while then doesn't work all of a sudden it's a real pain. Fingers X'd

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Thanks Kris. How do you open YouTube files without converting them to mp3?

Thank you
    You can open mp4 with video on Transcribe.
    simply...Download video from youtube and next click on this file and select open with Transcribe.
    You will see audio track and video track in Transcribe.Cancel video track on Transcribe and you can work over audio track only.
    Hope this help.I am doing this every day.

User Info Menu

Thank you Kris. That sounds good.

Which YouTube downloader do you use? I just had a look and they all have these pop up ads which I'm not a fan off.

I'd like to use a fairly secure downloader too.

Thank you

User Info Menu

I use this downloader, never had any issues with it (except as I said, if it doesn't work, just do the upgrade to the latest version, that always fixes it):

Free Youtube HD Downloader - Download Video

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I use this downloader, never had any issues with it (except as I said, if it doesn't work, just do the upgrade to the latest version, that always fixes it):

Free Youtube HD Downloader - Download Video
    Thank you Graham

User Info Menu

I stopped using online downloaders which are often tied to sketchy websites as well as dedicated downloader apps. YouTube seems to be doing a lot of whack a mole to prevent them from doing their thing.

I now use VLC which always works perfectly for downloading both audio alone or video with audio (and some videos seem to have additional protections against downloading.) It's a little more complicated but once you get the hang of it is easy to do. Here are some good instructions.

How to Download Video with VLC (YouTube Included)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Working great!
    with all my respect, there is no such thing, like youtube files.

User Info Menu

Hey all,

Transcribe! is tool that I use frequently and have had no problems with it until recently.

What I do is I find a song on Youtube then convert is using an online converter into an MP3 file. Download that file to my laptop then open it into Transcribe! and keep myself busy for a while. Happy days!!

This worked fine up until a few days ago when I downloaded a new song, converted it into MP3 using the same program and tried to open it into Transcribe!

The message I got was a box that amongst other things says 'cannot load sound file - bad file format (error T:2024)'.

I tried this with a few other songs (download and open) but the same thing happenend.

This morning I tried it with a new song and it opened the song in Transcribe but the song is squashed into the first few seconds of transcribe so the whole song plays in about 2 seconds!

The MP3 files which I had previously downloaded before this problem all work fine. I can open them no problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? and how do I solve it?

Edit: I am using Windows 10

Many thanks
    probably the (illegal) download service got wrong accidentally and now produces errartic files. First step of diagnostics, try to open those mp3 files with an other program. If opens, then it means, the file is OK, maybe some of its chsnged attribute (sample rate, etc) is not supported by Transcribe.

User Info Menu

Thank you Kris. That sounds good.

Which YouTube downloader do you use? I just had a look and they all have these pop up ads which I'm not a fan off.

I'd like to use a fairly secure downloader too.

Thank you
    Firefox plus a YouTube Video and Audio Downloader.
    YouTube Video and Audio Downloader can be found in Firefox add-ons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    with all my respect, there is no such thing, like youtube files.
    For me, in short, these are files that I download from Youtube.
    youtube files !!!
    If it does not suit you - let it be mp4 or MPEG4.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    probably the (illegal) download service got wrong accidentally and now produces errartic files. First step of diagnostics, try to open those mp3 files with an other program. If opens, then it means, the file is OK, maybe some of its chsnged attribute (sample rate, etc) is not supported by Transcribe.
    Transcriber to win10 should have addons installed, then it should work fine.
    "With this version of Transcribe! you may also want to download GStreamer, mainly if you want to handle video.
    Be aware that if you have previously been running Transcribe! version 8 with GStreamer then version 9 will tell you that GStreamer is not installed. This is because version 8 Transcribe! was 32-bit while version 9 is 64-bit and cannot use the 32-bit version of GStreamer. So in that case you will need to install the 64-bit version of GStreamer, which of course we provide on this page:
    Click here for information about GStreamer."

User Info Menu

I also use transcribe, but I only use it with the cd's that I have. I was under the impresion that you can slow down the video speed on YT and transcribe that way. But, I could be wrong.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Strbender
    I also use transcribe, but I only use it with the cd's that I have. I was under the impresion that you can slow down the video speed on YT and transcribe that way. But, I could be wrong.
    Yes, you can do this and there are also browser extensions like Enhancer for Youtube that provide additional features for slowing down etc. However Transcribe has many more capabilities, such as looping and saving specific sections, speedup trainer (eg, play a section five times then increase speed by 5%), change pitch (handy if something is off just a bit, or - say - playing along with a guitar that is dropped a half step and you don't want to change your tuning, add markers (great for keeping track of different sections of a tune), plus a lot of features which I don't use but that some may find useful like automation and spectrum analyzer/note guessing.

Overview with a lot of video links demonstrating its features here: Transcribe! - software to help transcribe recorded music

User Info Menu

Just an update; I downloaded the software that Graham recommended but then got promoted to download QuickTime which I did.

I now open the files as Kris suggested and have video now as well.

It was a great small problem to have as I learned a lot. :smile-new

User Info Menu

Just an update; I downloaded the software that Graham recommended but then got promoted to download QuickTime which I did.

I now open the files as Kris suggested and have video now as well.

It was a great small problem to have as I learned a lot. :smile-new
    Maybe it's just me, but I sometimes find it helpful when using Transcribe for a complicated solo guitar piece to have the video play upside down and mirrored (using the menu on the video itself). That way it shows how the guitar looks from your own perspective!

A little bit of a tangent, but have you checked out Soundslice? It's a free online transcribing site created by a talented gypsy-jazz guitarist.

I also use Transcribe! occasionally (If using video, I found using a lower resolution makes for less choppy playback), but have found the option to point Soundslice at a Youtube video without downloading anything to be a real time saver. Plus, you can make your own realtime transcription with standard notation and tab. This sounds like a sales pitch - it's not. Just a great tool I found and thought I'd share.

Soundslice | Create living sheet music