The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

A remarkably generous local friend loaned me some mics to experiment with. The mics, in order, are a Sennheiser e906, Beyer TGI50D, and finally an AKG C1000S.

I arranged this experiment to isolate to effects of the mics as much as I could. I recorded the same passage three times, once with each mic. Everything was played on the Vola Vasti (t-type) neck pickup with the guitar tuned down a full step. I'm running through the 65 voice of the Superblock US and the controls are the same on both the amp and the guitar for all three recordings. The amp is running through a very small 1x10 cab loaded with an Eminence Cannabis Rex and the mic is pointing roughly at the center of the coil. Iève adjusted the output level of the three recordings so that the loudness is as close to consistent as I could get it.

Last edited by Jim Soloway; 08-21-2021 at 03:27 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice experiment. My listening environment: modest home "studio" with some sound treatment (not perfect, but better than nothing) and studio monitors. All three were pleasing to the ear and there was not enough difference between them for me to declare a clear preference. I might have found Take B's overall sound to be a bit more pleasing, but I am certain I wouldn't be able to distinguish between them if you shuffled the order and asked me to listen again. My biggest impression is that you likely need to either reposition the mics a bit further back or apply significant low cuts during the opening section. The low end was overpowering to the degree that I struggled a bit to hear the mid and upper registers until you moved away from that low, droning bass note. I have an e906 and, when used as designed—hanging over the front of the amp and laying against the speaker cloth—will frequently have to apply significant low-end cuts as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Nice experiment. My listening environment: modest home "studio" with some sound treatment (not perfect, but better than nothing) and studio monitors. All three were pleasing to the ear and there was not enough difference between them for me to declare a clear preference. I might have found Take B's overall sound to be a bit more pleasing, but I am certain I wouldn't be able to distinguish between them if you shuffled the order and asked me to listen again. My biggest impression is that you likely need to either reposition the mics a bit further back or apply significant low cuts during the opening section. The low end was overpowering to the degree that I struggled a bit to hear the mid and upper registers until you moved away from that low, droning bass note. I have an e906 and, when used as designed—hanging over the front of the amp and laying against the speaker cloth—will frequently have to apply significant low-end cuts as well.
    Thanks. I've dropped a High Pass Filter on it. That should clean up the lows quite a bit.

User Info Menu

Nice job.

The superblock us is back in stock at Thomann, have to say I'm impressed. Might buy one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Amberville
    Nice job.

The superblock us is back in stock at Thomann, have to say I'm impressed. Might buy one.
    I'm very happy with mine. (And after some more testing, I've ordered one of the Beyer mics)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I'm very happy with mine. (And after some more testing, I've ordered one of the Beyer mics)
    Love all the sounds (but it's the playing... You would probably sound great with any gear).

Just wondering... Why go through all the hassle with miking the cab... Aren't you satisfied with line out which has speaker emulations?
    I have heard the Aviator Cub line out vs miked cab demos (RJ Ronquillo) and line out sounds pretty good as a recording solution.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dr_Primus
    Love all the sounds (but it's the playing... You would probably sound great with any gear).

Just wondering... Why go through all the hassle with miking the cab... Aren't you satisfied with line out which has speaker emulations?
    I have heard the Aviator Cub line out vs miked cab demos (RJ Ronquillo) and line out sounds pretty good as a recording solution.

Cheers
    I've been in a seemingly endless struggle with my recording results ever since my Mac began breaking down and I made the foolish decision to get rid of my old Line 6 modeler and that was all years ago now. I've never been entirely happy with the results I was getting with a PC either with a mic, a direct line out of an amp or going direct into the interface. I always felt like something was missing. I've been experimenting almost non-stop for the last several months and while some of the results were better than others I was never hearing the sounds that I was able to achieve in the room. What I'm getting live right now is as happy as I've ever been and by going direct I'm eliminating a big part of what makes that work so well. So I just thought I'd give mics one more shot and a very generous friend offered to loan me basically anything I wanted form his very large mic collection. So really, all I had to lose was some time and I'm pretty lose with that. I'm glad I did it. It's much quieter here than anywhere we've lived for the last several years so mic'ing works better and with a bit of experimenting that Beyer mic seems to work very well. I'm working on a video with it right now and we'll see how that goes but I'm feeling pretty good about it after the tests that I did this morning.

User Info Menu

If you're after a good inexpensive recording solution, I recommend getting the NUX MG30 or if you are on a tight budget MG300.

Both units sound really good (and punch above their weight) but the MG30 has more processing power, bass amp and acoustic sims, Eminence IRs, lower latency (not that I can hear the difference but the reviews say so) and is sturdier (made of metal and with extra footswitches).

They can be used to record from the line out or as a USB audio interface and then recorded wet or dry (with the MG30 i record both dry and wet and then decide whether I like the wet signal or do the re-amp with a different amp, cab IR or mic).

Here is the Twin Reverb amp sim with an archtop with a mini humbucker on the MG300 (had that one before I upgraded to MG30).

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CKV_0Pe...dium=copy_link

Here is the MG30 with Roland JC120 amp sim and JM style bridge pickup direct to the PA

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQwV8JWH...dium=copy_link

The reason I'm buying the Aviator Cub is that I've started playing with a band that has a PA with only 3 channels - one for keys, one for singer and one for trumpet microphone and needed my own amp... And I'm a sucker for Fender voiced lightweight amps

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dr_Primus
    If you're after a good inexpensive recording solution, I recommend getting the NUX MG30 or if you are on a tight budget MG300.

Both units sound really good (and punch above their weight) but the MG30 has more processing power, bass amp and acoustic sims, Eminence IRs, lower latency (not that I can hear the difference but the reviews say so) and is sturdier (made of metal and with extra footswitches).

They can be used to record from the line out or as a USB audio interface and then recorded wet or dry (with the MG30 i record both dry and wet and then decide whether I like the wet signal or do the re-amp with a different amp, cab IR or mic).

Here is the Twin Reverb amp sim with an archtop with a mini humbucker on the MG300 (had that one before I upgraded to MG30).

Login • Instagram

Here is the MG30 with Roland JC120 amp sim and JM style bridge pickup direct to the PA

Login • Instagram

The reason I'm buying the Aviator Cub is that I've started playing with a band that has a PA with only 3 channels - one for keys, one for singer and one for trumpet microphone and needed my own amp... And I'm a sucker for Fender voiced lightweight amps
    Thanks I looked into the MG300 last year and they kept postponing its availability in Canada until I just gave up. Now both the 30 and the 300 are available and the 300 is available at a reduced price. Maybe this is a good time to try again.

User Info Menu

The Sennheiser had a very annoying buzz. I liked the Beyer the best, by far. The AKG just didn't have that pleasant a sound, a little nasal to me. I tend to agree that close micing a cab is not the best way to record. One doesn't listen to live performances with the ear up next to the speaker.