The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

I ordered brackets for me 2i2 so I could mount it under my desk. Wanted to free up some space on the top of my desk.
    The bracket gave way, the 2i2 fell to the floor and now the buttons don't work. I fear it's a goner.
    Which sucks mightily. All the more so because I just finished a new song and wanted to record the vocal this morning. Now I have to buy a new 2i2 (or something like it) and wait for it to arrive before I can do that. That money was being set aside for a studio desk. Ah, the irony.

So, just get another 2i2 or is there a better option now?

On a related front. This drives me nuts: If I plug my Tele into the 2i2 and open a new track in Reaper, the level I see when playing will be the level I see when I play back the track afterward. Fine. That's the way it's supposed to be, right? But if I use any FX, either on my guitar or my vocals, then the playback level is apt to run into the red even though the level I saw in the DAW while recording was well below that.

I keep asking about this in the Reaper Users Group on Facebook and many people reply but none of them have really solved the problem. They've cleared up a few related matters, for which I'm grateful, but I still have the same problem. Evidently few others do because some people tend to think this isn't possible. O but it is!

Anyone else having this problem????

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Warranty on the 2i2?

Most effects have output level control, check that. Compression often has a button for make up gain, check into that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Warranty on the 2i2?

Most effects have output level control, check that. Compression often has a button for make up gain, check into that

No warranty. I've had it over a year. And the thing fell to the floor because the bracket gave way. I suppose it might survive such a fall 7 times out of 10. Maybe 8 or 9. But mine didn't and that's the only time that matters to me.

As for the rest, I'll look into it. But I have to get another interface first.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I ordered brackets for me 2i2 so I could mount it under my desk. Wanted to free up some space on the top of my desk.
    The bracket gave way, the 2i2 fell to the floor and now the buttons don't work. I fear it's a goner.
    Which sucks mightily. All the more so because I just finished a new song and wanted to record the vocal this morning. Now I have to buy a new 2i2 (or something like it) and wait for it to arrive before I can do that. That money was being set aside for a studio desk. Ah, the irony.

So, just get another 2i2 or is there a better option now?

On a related front. This drives me nuts: If I plug my Tele into the 2i2 and open a new track in Reaper, the level I see when playing will be the level I see when I play back the track afterward. Fine. That's the way it's supposed to be, right? But if I use any FX, either on my guitar or my vocals, then the playback level is apt to run into the red even though the level I saw in the DAW while recording was well below that.

I keep asking about this in the Reaper Users Group on Facebook and many people reply but none of them have really solved the problem. They've cleared up a few related matters, for which I'm grateful, but I still have the same problem. Evidently few others do because some people tend to think this isn't possible. O but it is!

Anyone else having this problem????
    Replaced my 2i2 (Gen 1, can be problematic with hot pickups unless you use a DI box) recently with a Motu M2. Great overall specs. Love the LED level indicators, and the loopback routing capability has been quite useful (easily capture computer output.) Has Midi in/out if you care (I don't). My only issue with it is that the monitor (volume) control is very sensitive (gets loud very quickly). Haven't seen this mentioned as a problem so needs further investigation. Check it out!

User Info Menu

If mine broke I’d most likely replace it with another. Better the devil you know…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    If mine broke I’d most likely replace it with another. Better the devil you know…
    It's a solid choice and built well. And I've had really good support experience from focusrite. Also some nice VSTs and usually pretty good bundled software.

User Info Menu

Okay, I ordered another one.

Funny, a cousin of mine on Facebook something like, "You now have a lifetime supply of the last thing you bought---what is it?"
    I thought, "A digital audio interface. Funny thing is, I thought the last one I bought WAS a lifetime supply. I fully expect this one to be."

User Info Menu

I'd buy again, but I'm a bit of a noob in this department. I don't even know how to use a VST or why I'd want one!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    I'd buy again, but I'm a bit of a noob in this department. I don't even know how to use a VST or why I'd want one!
    VSTs are cool. Stands for Virtual Studio Technology. If you're plugging an electric guitar directly into a 2i2, it's going to sound pretty thin. If you want to add some delay or EQ (or distortion or a chorus effect), it's got to come from somewhere. That somewhere is a VST plug-in. They are legion. Reaper provides a lot of them for free.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the explanation Mark. Turns out I have used VST then. Just didn't know that terminology.

User Info Menu

I don’t have much room on my computer desk (where I do my recording) so I just keep the 2i2 stored on a shelf until I need it. I have a USB lead permanently plugged into the back of my desktop PC (it has a couple of USB C ports there), so it’s easy to just plonk the 2i2 down on the small bit of free desk space when I want to use it, and stick the USB lead in the back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Thanks for the explanation Mark. Turns out I have used VST then. Just didn't know that terminology.
    I didn't until I got my first 2i2.

User Info Menu

If it's scrap metal anyway, I'd suggest opening it up (looks like 2 screws) and seeing if something simple, like repositioning the circuit board, might be all that's needed. This theory, which somebody that actually knows something will probably debunk, would suggest that the chassis is ground for the circuit and it got separated by the fall. The idea is to think of something which explains why all the buttons would fail at once. Once you're in there you can look for whatever else might have been thrown out of whack. Presumably, it will be mechanical, because it failed in a fall, not a solar flare.

I have an older version, with slide switches instead of buttons. I've been very happy with it since I switched to Reaper. It came with Ableton Live which I found much harder to learn. I'd buy another one if I lost this one.

I don't know what they improved in the subsequent models, but for the things I do, I've never thought, gee I wish the 2i2 would do X. It plugs in, feels completely like part of the computer and requires only that I adjust the input to make a light green instead of red.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    If it's scrap metal anyway, I'd suggest opening it up (looks like 2 screws) and seeing if something simple, like repositioning the circuit board, might be all that's needed. This theory, which somebody that actually knows something will probably debunk, would suggest that the chassis is ground for the circuit and it got separated by the fall. The idea is to think of something which explains why all the buttons would fail at once. Once you're in there you can look for whatever else might have been thrown out of whack. Presumably, it will be mechanical, because it failed in a fall, not a solar flare..
    Well, I can do that.
    I already have a new one installed but if I could get the "scrap" one to work again, well, I would have two and maybe pass it along to someone in need.
    Thanks for the suggestion!